Rhapsody with three kids- any suggestions?

jhr001

We are taking our first cruise Thanksgiving week on the Rhapsody. Our kids will be 4, 8 and 11. We have two adjoining oceanview rooms.

Any suggestions on activities to do with the kids? Should we leave the littlest one (or all of them?) on the ship for shore excursions?

Does anybody have any detailed information about the kids' program? Does it ever book up entirely where you have trouble getting your kids in?

Does anyone know what time the kids' program is open during Key West since it's an evening port?

What shore excursions should we book in Cozumel and Caymon???

Thanks for all of your help!

I don't have much information about the kids program, however, I do about the ship.

The kids program has never "filled up", they do a lot of record checking during the booking process and add programs as they see it's needed.

If your kids don't like to do a lot of walking, I would for sure stay on the ship with them in Grand Cayman!

We are taking our first cruise Thanksgiving week on the Rhapsody. Our kids will be 4, 8 and 11. We have two adjoining oceanview rooms.

Any suggestions on activities to do with the kids? Should we leave the littlest one (or all of them?) on the ship for shore excursions?

Does anybody have any detailed information about the kids' program? Does it ever book up entirely where you have trouble getting your kids in?

Does anyone know what time the kids' program is open during Key West since it's an evening port?

What shore excursions should we book in Cozumel and Caymon???

Thanks for all of your help!

Hello!

I am by no means an expert yet as I have just been on one cruise. But that was on the Rhapsody in Jan 2006 and we had two kids along with us, 10 and 12.

We took our kids with us in Cozumel and Grand Cayman. We went to Costa Maya instead of Key West so I can't comment on that one. I would suggest looking into either doing the Atlantis semi-sumersible boat or the swim with the stingrays in Grand Cayman. In Cozumel we went to the beach and hung out there for the day. It was windy as heck and too cold to really be in the water but they went in anyway.

Our son LOVED the kids program. He had doubts about going at first but once he went we couldn't keep him away from it. They had activities in the afternoon for them and then again in the evening. They also offer a "late night" session but charge something like a $1.50/hr for it. Not bad. My son loved that as well. In fact, I saw very little of my him from about 2pm on during the cruise. Now my daughter wasn't about to go and try the program. She is at that age where she likes to do her own thing. But the kids we saw in it that were her age seemed that they were also enjoying themselves.

The programs do not fill up, at least when we were on they didn't. With the younger ones you have to sign them in and out but the older ones you can give permission to let them sign themselves out. Up to you. We opted to sign our son in and out. Never know who he might end up hanging with and what trouble they might cause if let to sign themselves out!

Enjoy your trip! I loved the Rhapsody.

Thanks for your replies. I know my 8 year old daughter will love the kids' programs because she really loves meeting new friends. I was a little more worried about my 11 year old son because he's a bit on the shy side, but your comments made me feel better about him.

Has anyone gone on the Rhapsody with a 4 year old? If so, did s/he like the kids' programs? What about shore excursions?

jhr001

I will jump in here and try to insert my opinion on AO. I think rccl does a great jog at this. Our DD is grown, but our grandson has been cruising with us as a family since he was 22 mos old. He is now 7 and he is taking his 9th cruise already. He is very social and loves the AO program. He loved the program and activities at 3-5 and now he enjoys the 6-8 program. As far as leaving them in the program while you're on shore it's hard to comment. I can give you my strong opinion. I would never leave my child/grandchild on ship while I'm on shore. I guess I'm too much of a overprotective parent. But you never know what could happen and I don't want my child to be on ship and us to be on shore. I hope this helps.

Enjoy your cruise and ask away on this board. You'll get alot of opinions and hopefully facts as well.

Linda

Archived