Belize - Health Precautions

elaineb

Okay - I've just read a couple of scarey threads about botfly and Poisonwood tree rash. Now my DH doesn't even want to get off the ship! But I'll work on him. So if we:

1. Wear Deet and sunscreen - which do we put on first???

2. Wear a hat - do we need to put deet on top of that?

3. Wear long pants/shirt - put deet on top of that or just on our skin & clothes over it?

4. Cave tubing - will the water wash off the Deet? Also should we wear long pants/shirt for the trek to the river then put them in a waterproof bag for the cave tube portion?

Do you think the above is enough prevention or am I missing anything? :confused:

Thanks!

My DW is also very concerned to visit Belize now - due to the recent postings regarding "health issues". It is apparent that many many people have visited Belize and had a great time (however my DW is still very concerned). If these "health issues" were so severe, I can't imagine why the cruise ships would include Belize as a port of call. I spoke with my family doctor as well as a travel health clinic and they both concluded that as long as you are on a cruise and are not venturing into the jungle for a prolonged period of time (i.e. performing some missionary work) then you should not worry. They also said that staying near the port areas and coast - beaches and off shore activities - you have very little to worry about. We are not planning on cave tubing, since our kids aren't old enough. :rolleyes:

We will be in Belize next week....What is Botfly and Poinsonwood Tree Rash? I only heard warning that pertained to it not being safe because of robbery of tourists.....

My dh doesnt want to get off of the ship but I at least wanted to go to the secured port area.

At least get off and take one of the tours that go to the ruins. My BF wont do anything where he needs to get in the water or walk through the jungle so.....we're taking the ruins tour, included a boat ride down the river. The boards recommend "skin so soft" from avon (the military use it) for bugs. We wont be eating anything there, I have a sensitive stomache and stick to what I know....wear a hat,use bug spray and relax...:) it's a chance to see something wonderful, don't pass it up.

I will be on a western Carnival Legend cruise shortly. Belize, Panama and Costa Rica.After it sunk in that I was going to third world nations in Central America I started to read Frommers, Fodor's etc, the CDC site, the Consulate sites. Yes the ships go there, but I wanted to know what is happening so I can make an informed decision based upon my needs. I'm going on a ships tour in Panama, because its dangerous to go out on your own (everything I've read and everyone I've spoken to: there wasn't much on Panama at my hometown library which has a very nice up-to-date travel collection although it did have an up-to-date book on cruising the Panama Canal, at least five apiece on Belize, and Costa Rica - I guess people vacation there!). I'm considering walking a block or two out of the protected port area in Belize. I have no problem with taking an organized ship's tour. The American Embassy's (in Belize) website lists the Belize Tourism Board (or just do a websearch) where you can find private licensed guides, you can also find licensed guides at the port. We may use a private guide or just take a speed boat to a caye. Yes, crime is up in Belize, and Costa Rica and if memory serves me correct up in St Thomas as well. Having been raised in NYC I inform myself about the area and proceed with caution. The key word here is proceed. I will not remain on the ship. I would exercize some caution when going to Mayan sites near the border of Guatamala, but even this can change from day to day. Guatamala has disappeared from the travel warning list. I need to find out more info on robberies near the border. One or two incidents does not warrant not going there, but again its an individual decision. Read what the CDC has to say on bug repellant @ www.cdc/travel/malariadrugs2.htm

Sorpiorose -- which ruins trip are you doing? We've been to both Altun Ha and Lamanai, and Lamanai is definitely in the jungle :eek:. I wouldn't let it stop me from going, but you might want to prepare him if that's where you're headed.

We had a wonderful experience at both sets of ruins, but Lamanai in May was extremely hot and humid. Hopefully you'll get slightly cooler weather -- my young-adult age kids both claimed they were going to melt.

We're doing the Altun Ha/ river tour. I chose that because A - BF wanted to see some ruins B - I went with the carnvial tour because it seemed safer, it's a long tour too and I didn't want to have time issues getting back C - I wanted to see Belize - I hear some ppl have seen fantastic wildlife on the river so.....I bought some deet for Belize - that should be enough right? Anyone going miracle 4/2? :p

Altun Ha is located in a much more open area than the jungle setting of Lamanai, so if your BF is worred about the jungle you made a good choice. We didn't have problems with bugs at either location -- saw one mosquito on the boat ride to Lamanai, and that was it. We didn't do a boat ride to Altun Ha, however -- just went by bus, as it was a last minute decision to do that excursion.

Have a wonderful time. Belize ended up being our favorite port on our first cruise. I always feel bad when I hear posters saying how they'd rather just stay on the boat in Belize, because both of our trips there have been enjoyable.

We were at Lamanai last August. The mosquitos were insane! They were all over the place like out of some scary movie. I HATE bugs, especially mosquitos, but did not really have a problem. We took the OFF toweletts with Deet. Between my husband and I we used about 5 toweletts that day and did not get bit once. I don't suggest using Avon. A couple we were hanging out with that day was using it and it didn't look like it was working.

Like the others posted Lamanai was extremely hot and swarming with mosquitos but we had a great time. It was neat getting to experience the jungle atmosphere and see the ruins.

Memo to self: don't go to Belize in August :eek: . While we didn't have trouble with bugs in May, the weather was certainly much more enjoyable in January. I think from now on I'll stick to cruising the western caribbean in the cooler months.

:rolleyes: I was in Belize about 4 weeks ago - and I think that I might have been invested with a botfly larva. ACK. I have this circular lesion in the outer canal of my ear - the part you can clearly see if you look above the lobe. No biggie - a bug bite? So I used antibiotic ointment. No difference. THen I convinced myself it's an irritated sebaceous cyst. Not likely - I've been on antibiotics for bronchitis so that would have more likely than not taken care of an infected cyst. The area has a central punctum and it drains liquid. I know - I've probably succeeded in causing vomiting across the internet world (you should see some sites with real pictures - OMG OMG OMG OMG).

I put on nail polish after reading some people were successful in smothering the under-the-skin maggot-looking abominations, but after a while, I peeled it off in frustration. If it doesn't resolve, guess I'll head to a dermatologist.

This botfly thing is new to me, but is personal because a friends husband just had to have one cut out ( see Belize nightmare thread). After researching a bit, I've found out that in most cases you can coax the little guy out by simple means, and it should not get to the point where it needs to be cut out ( the visual of that guy with one in his scrotum still makes me squirm- note: wear underwear soaked in deet :)).

Now I got to look up poisonwood tree

We went in Feb. '05 and took the ship's city tour-no mosquitoes. We did stop along a canal and in a park.

I think the dry season kept the bugs at bay. Good thing as we had no bug spray !!

Thanks for all the info. - sorry about your troubles, M.A.:(

I would suggest skin-so-soft OIL as it is more concenrtated. That's what I use when I don't use a DEET product, but I 99 % of the time use a DEET, 40 % works fine for me and no real fragrant soap in the shower, or hand lotion or shampoo or perfume. Go into these areas scent-free.

Of course when you get out of those areas, you'll have BO as you put nothing on :D :D

My husband and I just got home tonight from our cruise and we went on the jungle trek and cave tubing adventure in Belize. I would suggest putting on your sunscreen before you even leave the ship and just apply as needed then add your deet when you get there. As for clothes we wore our swimsuits and I wore a pair of shorts also. I would HIGHLY recommend a good pair of water shoes. I took my KEEN sandals and they were perfect! Great for the hike and the tubing. You have to paddle with your hands so the less to hold onto the better off you are. You will have the deet wash off from your knees down when you cross the river to go on the hike but the rest of you will stay dry for the hike. I wouldn't worry about a thing and just have a good time and relax! The biggest danger you will face is hitting your bottom on a few rocks when you hit the shallow rapids and they even yell to you "bottoms up!" Enjoy your trip!!! We did!!!!!!!

Archived