It's never too early to plan for your next PC...or is it?

pierces

1 hour ago, dwc13 said:

How's the power-sucking 14th Gen Intel blast furnace working for you? Hopefully you're one of the "lucky" ones and haven't experienced problems / degradation and won't before Intel releases the microcode patch in August. Even if the Intel patch completely addresses the degradation issue (and there are no others), patched CPUs will almost certainly take a performance hit.

Intel has been ramping up power draw on its CPUs for multiple successive generations in an attempt to remain competitive with AMD. More power (resulting in higher temps/more heat) isn't always a good thing as heat is the enemy of all things electronic. For that reason alone, I never  considered an Intel CPU on my last build or the laptop I bought in November. I'll use an AMD Zen 5 CPU for my next build unless I find a 5800X3D / 5700X3D / 5700X at an irresistible price. AM4 has had amazing support for those who built systems around that socket.  

No issue so far. I don't really game on it, so the Unreal Engine problem is moot.  As for heat, the 420mm AIO radiator keeps it pretty cool, 37°C right now. I ended up with a KF version, so it uses a little less power and runs cooler without the useless-to-me onboard graphics. To avoid any other future 13th and 14th gen bug discoveries, I may even try something I've never done before and upgrade to a 15th gen Arrow Lake processor when they come out without a new build. Same socket and I would assume Asus will offer a motherboard firmware patch as they always have in the past.

The system has been a pleasure to work on with the very noticeable increase in speed. Photoshop and Lightroom are handling the larger files from the new camera better than the old system did with the smaller ones.

Muy bueno, so far.

Dave 

On 7/31/2024 at 1:24 PM, pierces said:

No issue so far. I don't really game on it, so the Unreal Engine problem is moot.  As for heat, the 420mm AIO radiator keeps it pretty cool, 37°C right now. I ended up with a KF version, so it uses a little less power and runs cooler without the useless-to-me onboard graphics. To avoid any other future 13th and 14th gen bug discoveries, I may even try something I've never done before and upgrade to a 15th gen Arrow Lake processor when they come out without a new build. Same socket and I would assume Asus will offer a motherboard firmware patch as they always have in the past.

The system has been a pleasure to work on with the very noticeable increase in speed. Photoshop and Lightroom are handling the larger files from the new camera better than the old system did with the smaller ones.

Muy bueno, so far.

Dave 

Good to hear and hope good fortune with your build continues. Intel has been less than open in acknowledging and addressing the issue(s) that first appeared in 2023. Even large data centers are apparently experiencing degradation on their Intel 13th & 14th Gen Intel CPUs -- and those users don't overclock (or run the UT5 engine on all of the affected servers). I suspect the scope of affected Intel CPUs is going to increase. Perhaps it is Karma paying back Intel for years of underhanded (illegal) tactics.

On 7/31/2024 at 12:22 PM, mz-s said:

I have been team red (even for GPU) since the Kaveri architecture.

It's probably worked out pretty well for you, especially after 2017. I have an HP ProBook powered by an A10-4600M (Trinity, 2012) that is still in occasional use. Many computers with AMD CPUs have been retired over the years, going back to the AM386 days. Currently, Intel is the exception in the household, but an i5-4670K desktop is still hanging around. 

AMD has been on a very nice run since Lisa Su took over as CEO. The company needed someone with an engineering (not marketing) background to lead and she certainly fits the bill. Zen and its successors have been awesome (well, every other release, lol). I'm still using a 3700X build, waiting for 9xxxX3D to be released. 

3 hours ago, dwc13 said:

It's probably worked out pretty well for you, especially after 2017. I have an HP ProBook powered by an A10-4600M (Trinity, 2012) that is still in occasional use. Many computers with AMD CPUs have been retired over the years, going back to the AM386 days. Currently, Intel is the exception in the household, but an i5-4670K desktop is still hanging around. 

AMD has been on a very nice run since Lisa Su took over as CEO. The company needed someone with an engineering (not marketing) background to lead and she certainly fits the bill. Zen and its successors have been awesome (well, every other release, lol). I'm still using a 3700X build, waiting for 9xxxX3D to be released. 

The Kaveri APU was "okay" nothing earth shattering but it wasn't that bad either. I was on a strict budget when I built that machine. My next build was a Ryzen 2700X, still have nothing but good things to say about that machine. Currently I'm using a 7700X. A very noticeable bump in power but nowhere near as earth shattering as it was going from the A10-7850K to the 2700X.