14 day cruise on Miracle in January

dorisdvu

I have several questions.  The longest cruise that I’ve been on is 8 day Caribbean Cruise and all have been out of Florida.  I live in Kentucky.

Is it better to fly into LAX or Long Beach?

Can anyone recommend a nice hotel to stay the night before?

I am traveling with my brother who has 4th stage cancer.  His dream has always been to see Pearl Harbor.  The excursions on the ship are sold out.  Is this something that we could do ourselves?  Do we need to buy tickets in advance?  Any tour company recommendations?
What is the weather like on the sea in January?  More long sleeve or short sleeve shirts and jacket?

Are the activities about the same as any other cruise?

Sorry for all of the questions but due to his condition I want to try to get all my bases covered.  He has never cruised before either.

My family and I stayed at the Residence Inn when we sailed from Long Beach. We loved the hotel, and at the time, they did not offer transportation to the cruise port. There are many nice places to stay in the area- you might find a hotel that will offer transportation. If not, you can always use a ride service. We used hotel points, but there is a wide range of hotel prices in the area. If the ship excursions are sold out, you can look for Pearl Harbor excursions from the cruise port for options. We usually book our own excursions - the tour operators will get you back to the port in time, or they would not stay in business. To reduce your stress, choose a tour that will get you back well in advance of the ship departure time. Look for reviews of the tour operators to help you make your choice. You can also check the Excursions Desk when you board - there might be openings by the time you sail. Hope you and your brother have an awesome time!!

54 minutes ago, mar214 said:

My family and I stayed at the Residence Inn when we sailed from Long Beach. We loved the hotel, and at the time, they did not offer transportation to the cruise port. There are many nice places to stay in the area- you might find a hotel that will offer transportation. If not, you can always use a ride service. We used hotel points, but there is a wide range of hotel prices in the area. If the ship excursions are sold out, you can look for Pearl Harbor excursions from the cruise port for options. We usually book our own excursions - the tour operators will get you back to the port in time, or they would not stay in business. To reduce your stress, choose a tour that will get you back well in advance of the ship departure time. Look for reviews of the tour operators to help you make your choice. You can also check the Excursions Desk when you board - there might be openings by the time you sail. Hope you and your brother have an awesome time!!

Is there a particular tour operator that you use?

I just googled "ship excursions Pearl Harbor" and a long list of tours popped up that state "tours for guests arriving on cruise ships." You can start by checking your dates in Honolulu and see what's available. You can usually select a tour that lets you choose the number of people in your group. You will find that the smaller the number, the more expensive the tour will be. Be sure the tour will pick you up at the cruise port. I did see a few tours showing they are "closed." I'm not sure if the pandemic has affected all Pearl Harbor tours. It would be such a shame to get there and not have access to the USS Arizona memorial. It is very moving experience. Give your search a try and see if you can get the info you need. Good luck!!