A question for recent Edge/Apex Luminae Cruisers....

Dr. Cocktail

We were on the Edge over the summer about 1200 guests. All the suites were full as was Luminaie every night. The hostess suggested a later dining time when it was less crowded but late dining is not for everyone. For a table for two they are VERY close usually along the wall or in the center. I felt extremely uncomfortable even for breakfast as your conversation is full heard and vice versa. Sometimes you just want to dine without people on top of you and feeling awkward if you dont want to make small talk. I dont think Covid made a difference where people sat it was more the twosomes had people on top of them ..the other MDR choices we needed no reservation and could literally choose wherever we wanted to sit..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

I just want to know what my escape clause is if I'm not comfortable!

Most of us "feel" the same way. Perhaps this is why Celebrity Retreat is 'sold out' on many of its sailings. We all want the balcony cabin in the event of a repeat of past events. The CDC has offered those cruise lines following the CSO to return to a US port in the event of a large outbreak (>100 ?). Quarantining in our cabins until the ship makes it back 'tout suite' to port of embarkation where the cruise lines NOW  have  port agreements to house, treat, etc. at Celebrity's expense. As you mention, Celebrity has the best "Cruise with Confidence" which has been extended through April 2022 sailings, flying private jets for the <100 ? that test positive. Nowhere is it implied that Celebrity would drop one off anywhere else than the US port of embarkation. (And private charter back for the few of us with 8 suitcases is another headache one does not have to worry about).

Edited by morpheusofthesea

Another plus we found on the Edge we did NOT find on the Equinox was upon entering the Oceanview Cafes the Edge has manned multiple hand washing stations and passengers are handed a plate and cloth napkin wrapped silverware, according to CDC protocols limiting transmission of pathogens on "fomites".

• Like 1

We did bring this to Celebrity's attention in an email on September 12,2021

Dear Celebrity Cruises,

"We recently had the pleasure of cruising with you on the Edge 7-3-2021 sailing cabin # and followed up with a cruise on your Equinox 8-1-2021 sailing cabin #. Had a great time on both. One important protocol was adhered to on the Edge that was not on the Equinox and we made mention while on board. We very much appreciated that all plates and wrapped silverware in the Oceanview Cafes were handed out to guests on the Edge, but one had to self-serve those items on the Equinox. We hope that you can remedy this situation on the Equinox because we plan to return on 11-19-2021 Equinox cabin # and again on Equinox 12-22-2021 cabin # .

As you can see we enjoy the health protocols you employ on both these ships to keep us safe, please add this simple protocol already being employed on the Edge to the Equinox.

Thank you for your attention."

• Like 1

We were on the Equinox in September and indeed we did notice that the plates/utensils were self serve and even noticed one passenger taking and then putting back a plate. So I do hope your email to Celebrity does not fall on deaf ears. You and Mrs. Morpheus do cruise quite a bit so hopefully they can remedy this. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FLCruiser97 said:

So I do hope your email to Celebrity does not fall on deaf ears. You and Mrs. Morpheus do cruise quite a bit so hopefully they can remedy this. 

Thanks. Got this email back :

profile_mask2.png

CelebrityEngagementCenter@celebrity.com

Oct 8, 2021, 9:24 PM

Dear Mr. and Mrs.

Thank you for contacting Celebrity Cruises.

Health protocols are very important to us as well. I want to thank you greatly for giving us this valuable information. I agree that this is a simple protocol that should be adhered to on al of our ships. I have forwarded this to our leadership team so that they can bring it to the attention of our Healthy protocols team and have it addressed aboard the Celebrity Equinox.

Mr. and Mrs.  please let me know if there is anything else I may assist you with.

Sincerely,
Celebrity Cruises

DW has put the KIBOSH on my after meal forays into the Oceanview Cafe in search of additional desserts, should this protocol not be instituted. We have 4 more Celebrity sailings booked before the end of April 2022 and will have to think twice about lifting and shifting back to Edge just for my desserts.

6 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Most of us "feel" the same way. Perhaps this is why Celebrity Retreat is 'sold out' on many of its sailings. We all want the balcony cabin in the event of a repeat of past events. The CDC has offered those cruise lines following the CSO to return to a US port in the event of a large outbreak (>100 ?). Quarantining in our cabins until the ship makes it back 'tout suite' to port of embarkation where the cruise lines NOW  have  port agreements to house, treat, etc. at Celebrity's expense. As you mention, Celebrity has the best "Cruise with Confidence" which has been extended through April 2022 sailings, flying private jets for the <100 ? that test positive. Nowhere is it implied that Celebrity would drop one off anywhere else than the US port of embarkation. (And private charter back for the few of us with 8 suitcases is another headache one does not have to worry about).

I haven't heard yet of a Canadian being flown back home so that's a good thing! (or a bad if they refused?)

As more Canadians cruise, certain situations may start to arise.

I totally get where you’re coming when it comes to dining. After being “out of the norm” for over eighteen months it’s hard to break the habits that we have become used to. Even though we’re fully vaxed and boostered, it’s still an uneasy feeling. I guess it’s just going to take time for some of us to ease back in.🙂

Not sure when you’re cruising but Richard Fain recently stated that RCG was going to increase capacity and by the first of the year some ships may be back to 100%. I’ve also read that the number was closer to 75% so only time will tell but it does seem that the numbers are slowly creeping north. Good luck. We have purposely put off cruising and our next cruise is on the Edge in May out of Civitavecchia so we’re hoping for a little more normal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

As of November 2021 and the US lifting the ban of travelers from the EU and UK and Canada, "back home" is back to point of origin, not embarkation port.

"If you test positive for COVID-19 during the voyage, Celebrity will: • cover the cost of necessary COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard the ship; • coordinate and cover the costs of any required land-based quarantine for you and members of your Traveling Party; and • coordinate and cover the costs of travel arrangements to get you and members of your Traveling Party back home. 2 We will also provide the same assistance to identified close contacts if they are required to quarantine onboard or are disembarked or denied re-boarding due to have been in close contact to a guest who tests positive for COVID-19. • If a guest who purchased flights through the cruise line is denied boarding at embarkation or reboarding, or is disembarked during the voyage due to a positive COVID-19 test or being suspected of having COVID-19, Celebrity will coordinate the travel arrangements, and cover the airline change fees and any difference in the airfare for the same class of service, necessary to fly the guest back to the city of their original flight departure point. If such a guest did not purchase flights through Celebrity, Celebrity will assist with coordinating travel arrangements necessary to get the guest back home but will not be responsible for any associated costs."

Best to purchase flights through Celebrity...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

As of November 2021 and the US lifting the ban of travelers from the EU and UK and Canada, "back home" is back to point of origin, not embarkation port.

"If you test positive for COVID-19 during the voyage, Celebrity will: • cover the cost of necessary COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard the ship; • coordinate and cover the costs of any required land-based quarantine for you and members of your Traveling Party; and • coordinate and cover the costs of travel arrangements to get you and members of your Traveling Party back home. 2 We will also provide the same assistance to identified close contacts if they are required to quarantine onboard or are disembarked or denied re-boarding due to have been in close contact to a guest who tests positive for COVID-19. • If a guest who purchased flights through the cruise line is denied boarding at embarkation or reboarding, or is disembarked during the voyage due to a positive COVID-19 test or being suspected of having COVID-19, Celebrity will coordinate the travel arrangements, and cover the airline change fees and any difference in the airfare for the same class of service, necessary to fly the guest back to the city of their original flight departure point. If such a guest did not purchase flights through Celebrity, Celebrity will assist with coordinating travel arrangements necessary to get the guest back home but will not be responsible for any associated costs."

Best to purchase flights through Celebrity...

I saw this ... it basically says quarantine and commercial flights but people have been flied back on private air transfers. That's why I'd like to see/hear what happens!

19 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

it basically says quarantine and commercial flights but people have been flied back on private air transfers

Yes. I understand your fears.   Foreign nationals may not be allowed back  by their respective countries until tested negative, thus the port agreements for quarantine, testing negative and then flown back home commercial, but these foreign nationals would still be treated to a private air flight to a US port with cruise line port agreements or port of embarkation.

Foreign nationals have more to fear from their flights over here and back than they will have on board a cruise ship. "On April 4, 2021 a flight from Delhi to Hong Kong all passengers tested negative within 72 hours of departure. During the 3 week mandatory quarantine in Hong Kong 53 tested positive." The maximum capacity of this particular plane is 188.

10 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Yes. I understand your fears.   Foreign nationals may not be allowed back  by their respective countries until tested negative, thus the port agreements for quarantine, testing negative and then flown back home commercial, but these foreign nationals would still be treated to a private air flight to a US port with cruise line port agreements or port of embarkation.

As a Canadian Citizen, it's our right not to be refused entry. They can keep us off a commercial flight but they can't ban our entry if we show up at the border.

Celebrity  could potentially fly us back to the closest US airport to Canada and let us drive over. Again, I don't know what the RCI/CDC/port agreement is.

When asked, Celebrity is still saying private jet transfer for Canadians ....

Off the Edge 10/30. Was told total passengers were approximately 1350 but Retreat was 100% full.

Also sailed the Edge in February 2020 (pre COVID) and ship was totally full. This time main part of ship was pretty empty and Retreat was booked at 100%. 

I thought Luminea was never "too crowded" In fact, we often waited 5-10 minutes for seating during prime times last year. This year we walked in every time. Space on Retreat Sundeck remains spacious as well. No worries. 

Actually appreciate the vaccination requirement along with the COVID test prior to boarding. The zero COVID occurrence during our cruise is evidence of this,. 

Enjoy your cruise and don't worry!

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 10:07 PM, molemaui said:

Off the Edge 10/30. Was told total passengers were approximately 1350 but Retreat was 100% full.

Also sailed the Edge in February 2020 (pre COVID) and ship was totally full. This time main part of ship was pretty empty and Retreat was booked at 100%. 

I thought Luminea was never "too crowded" In fact, we often waited 5-10 minutes for seating during prime times last year. This year we walked in every time. Space on Retreat Sundeck remains spacious as well. No worries. 

Actually appreciate the vaccination requirement along with the COVID test prior to boarding. The zero COVID occurrence during our cruise is evidence of this,. 

Enjoy your cruise and don't worry!

Thanks for the update!  

I will try hard ..... Celebrity/RCI's Travel Assist (if required) during Covid is the best out there.

It will be interesting to see how rules change with kids' vaccinations starting now.

On 11/1/2021 at 1:21 PM, Dr. Cocktail said:

I haven't heard yet of a Canadian being flown back home so that's a good thing! (or a bad if they refused?)

Celebrity flew us home (two Canadians) in March 2020. We were on a South American cruise and the port of Santiago Chile refused the ship arrival. Days of negotiation, fueling, provisioning, gathering medical (in 3 ports Santiago, Valparaiso and Manta{Ecuador}) and then we sailed to San Diego. Celebrity made flight arrangements for the majority of guests.  

We'd love to be back on a ship but 5 cruises to date have been cancelled. Our next scheduled is in August 2022 (B2B suite to verandah on Reflection).