Star Alaskan Cruise in June Attire

Bailand2

We will be travelling on a 7 day Norwegian Star cruise in June to Alaska. I've researched a lot about everything....although I'm still not clear as to what to wear on the cruise. I've read that it s casual, but what exactly is casual, and what is seasonal attire for June on an Alaskan cruise. I'm interested in what I would wear, my husband, and my two boys, age 6 and 11. Thanks for any advice you would have to offer.

Casual is jeans, shorts, t-shirt, tank tops, swimming trunks, etc.

For the restaurants only, attire steps up after 5 pm to "resort casual".

What's resort casual? NCL's web site explains it best.

Q. What exactly is “resort casual” attire?

A. Resort casual is a much more comfortable way to dress for dinner. Basically, it’s slacks or pants and a collared shirt for men and pants, slacks, a dress or skirt for women.

AND

Dress Code in Dining Rooms

Freestyle Cruising gives our guests the freedom to dress as they please. Resort casual attire is always appropriate morning, noon and night. However, NCL/ NCLA does not allow any blue jeans, t-shirts, shorts, cut-offs, tank tops, bare feet, etc. in any of our fine dining restaurants for dinner, including all main restaurants, alternative restaurants, and cover charge venues.

Guests are allowed to wear blue jeans, shorts and t-shirts, in the evenings at the buffets, outdoor barbeques, and 24-hour venues, such as the Blue Lagoon, the Cadillac diner, etc.

Below are a few exceptions to the dining room dress code:

Blue Jeans will be allowed in all dining rooms on all Houston departures, due to the Texas culture.

Blue Jeans will be allowed in the Trattoria's in the evenings.

Bermuda shorts with knee high socks, or Scottish kilts with knee highs will also be allowed in all dining rooms in Bermuda as these are considered formal dress in Bermuda.

Hawaiian shirts are allowed with proper slacks in all dining rooms.

Ladies Capri Pants, which are a length between the knee and ankles, are acceptable in all fine dining rooms as long as they are not blue jean capris.

It does get fairly warm in Alaska in daylight during the summer season. Bring a raincoat or light jacket for the nights, as it will get cool.

I'll focus on walks/excursions off the ship.

Most important thing is a thin/light waterproof jacket with hood. The main issue is wet not cold. Very often it isn't cold at all, in fact you are getting quite hot from walking, but there is often a constant light mist sprinkle. I almost never needed more than just the thin jacket.

I think many people feel silly for bringing so much warm clothes for alaska and then it isn't even cold most of the time... Still you should bring something to layer on/off just in case, maybe a thin sweater and warm (ski?) hat, gloves. Also you want good grip shoes, that won't slip too easily on moist ground. I like hiking "shoes", good grip and they don't even go above the ankle.

I didn't bring waterproof pants, I just used ones that dry quickly. I guess my only suggestion for pants is not to use jeans because those can take too long to dry.

I was on the Star last July to Alaska. We definitely OVER PACKED!! The best suggestion is to take layers. Shirts, then put a sweatshirt over that and a rain proof windbreaker over that. The only time it was really cold enough for all the garb was in Glacier Bay out on the balcony. I understand it was even colder up on deck.

You won't get to swim much. My daughter went swimming the first day (Seattle) and the first sea day. After that, the pool was too cold.

Remember, it is resort casual. Polo shirts and kahkis are perfectly acceptable for every meal in every dining venues. Formal nights are optional and only about 40% dress up. Leave the formals at home!

Alaska is so beautiful. I want to go back again sometime.

Everyone else who has responded has it right. We've cruised to AK in June once and September twice. We will be sailing again in June of this year on the Star. Which cruise will you be on? (Ours is the 18th.)

Layering is the most important and the day you will really be glad you are able to layer is in Glacier Bay. I would recommend taking a hat and even a pair of gloves. You want to be able to spend as much time out on deck while in Glacier Bay, as is possible. It's an awesome place and you want to see it from outside, not from inside behind glass.

Every year I take some hand warmers. They are available from most sporting goods stores, and once you open the packet, the hand warmers stay warm for up to 8 hours. It's amazing how much difference it makes to be able to keep your hands (or other body parts) warm enough to enjoy the outdoors for long periods of time.

The rest of the cruise won't be as cold. Our September cruises have been warmer than the June cruise, however the June cruise was prettier because there was more snow on the mountains and it was gorgeous!

As ALWAYS in Alaska - the weather is unpredictable. I wouldn't pack a ton of warm clothing, but a little bit. I also wouldn't pack a suitcase full of sundresses and bikinis. A comfortable pair of walking shoes is one of the most important things, in my opinion.

I love cruising!

Hikini:D

Archived