Independent Shore Excursions in Italy - are they allowed

cinbeach

49 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

On the Ports of Call Italy thread someone has posted that the restrictions to Independent shore excursions will be lifted at the end of March.  I have just asked for the source of this welcome information.

I believe there is a qualifier on this statement.  

On 2/2/2022 at 12:35 PM, Mrs Miggins said:

On the Ports of Call Italy thread someone has posted that the restrictions to Independent shore excursions will be lifted at the end of March.  I have just asked for the source of this welcome information.

Viking hopes to begin allowing independent exploration for their sailings beginning on March 1. In Italy, however, that is not their decision to make. Even when cruises that called in Greece, France, and Spain were allowed independent exploration in those ports, Italy required they stay within the ship's bubble. The bottom line is that Italy will make the final call, not Viking. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, RaRaGranPhil said:

So if our Azamara cruise offers a shore excursion in April that provides for 5 hours free time in florence, is that just wrong (at this point; I know things can change)?

I have been trying to get confirmation on this as well, as we have an April Viking cruise with about half our days in Italy, and an overnight in Florence (Livorno). As far as I can tell so far, there is an Italian directive set to expire March 31, and predictions are that the "only ships' excursions for cruise passengers" will not be renewed at that time. However, I really have not seen an absolutely clear source about current requirements or about the April 1 plans. I would certainly love to know.

Could a ship's excursion that include free time on your own still meet current/future requirements? I wish I knew.

• 1 month later...

We are on the Roll Call for the Azamara Pursuit, leaving Rome on April 9.  A passenger posted in the Roll Call a copy of an email received yesterday from Azamara saying that we CAN go ashore independently now in Italy; and that the "bubble" restrictions are OFF.  I do not vouch for the accuracy, but the email is shown in Roll Call.