Westin Puerto Vallarta

Kruisn'Kay

I guess my only tip, aimed at those who have yet to book a day pass at the Westin, is that if you want to see and experience some of Mexico and its wonderful culture DO NOT book a day pass at any resort!  :).  The Westin is a classy resort with very nice facilities.  But it is similar to fine resorts located anywhere in the world (including in Arizona).   Inside the Westin you would not even know you are in Mexico except for some hints from the decor.

Hank

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I guess my only tip, aimed at those who have yet to book a day pass at the Westin, is that if you want to see and experience some of Mexico and its wonderful culture DO NOT book a day pass at any resort!  :).  The Westin is a classy resort with very nice facilities.  But it is similar to fine resorts located anywhere in the world (including in Arizona).   Inside the Westin you would not even know you are in Mexico except for some hints from the decor.

Hank

I totally agree.  There are nice beaches at each of these ports where you can relax on the beach, eat some local Mexican food, have some authentic cocktails and immerse yourself in Mexico.  You can mingle with vacationing Mexican nationals and ex-pats.  You can get a feel for what the area is really like.  You are never going to get that in a gated resort.  I'm sure it will be wonderful, but as Hlitner said, you may as well be anywhere, because there's nothing authentic about it. 

22 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

My ship will be in port From 8:00AM to 5:00PM. Do you think that I could do both, 3hrs tour around centro and malecon then stay in a resort just for 3hrs to experience beach in Mazatlan. Or what else do you suggest. Thank you very much

Edited by lynn5555

29 minutes ago, lynn5555 said:

My ship will be in port From 8:00AM to 5:00PM. Do you think that I could do both, 3hrs tour around centro and malecon then stay in a resort just for 3hrs to experience beach in Mazatlan. Or what else do you suggest. Thank you very much

I am a little confused because you brought Mazatlan into this thread.  That is an entirely different port/city of which I know very little.  As to PV, I think if you buy a day pass to the Westin you are likely making a full day commitment to that resort.  It would not make a lot of sense to pay for some kind of day pass and just use it for 3-4 hours.   But if your goal is to sit near a pool or on a beach and do some swimming then the Westin is certainly a decent option.  However, if you want to see Puerto Vallarta, browse shops, eat, drink, etc. then that would likely be your entire day.  If you are comfortable walking about 2 miles (during the entire day) then I suggest grabbing a taxi or Uber from outside the port (you can also take a taxi from inside the port for slightly more money) to the Rosita Hotel which is located on the northern end of the Malecon (Centro).  From there you start strolling south (along the more then mile long Malecon that fronts the sea).  Along this very safe walkway you will see some of the outdoor sculptures (an important part of PV) as well as small shops, restaurants, bars, etc.  When you reach the end of Centro there is a pedestrian bridge that takes you over the Rio Cujale.  At this point you could deviate inland to experience some of the indoor market if that is your thing.  Otherwise you can cross the small Rio Cujale (the island in the middle also has some interesting shopping which you can access via the steps that go down towards "Oscars."  

Once you cross the Rio you are in the Old Town (Vieux Vallarta) which is also called the Zona Romantica (Romantic Zone).  This is my part of town and why DW and I fell in love with PV.  In the old town there are lots of restaurants, shops, art galleries, food stands, etc.  It is very safe (just always be alert for pick pockets) and just about everyone you meet will speak English (this is also true in Centro).  The beach in Old Town is called Los Muertos and it is lined with restaurants/bars many of whom will let you use chairs/loungers on the beach.  Some charge a fee but most are free as long as you buy food/drinks.  It is safe to eat/drink in PV although DW would tell you to use some common sense if buying food from street vendors.   Soon after your cross over the pedestrian bridge into the Old Town you will come to the "Sea Monkey" which has lots of chairs/tables on the beach.  This is an OK place to take a break and grab a snack or perhaps a $1 (US) beer or $1 Margarita (not the best....but cheap).  

If the sea is relatively calm and you want to wade or swim you should keep heading south (old town) until you come to the famous pier.  South of that pier is the best swimming area and there are plenty of places with chairs/loungers for rent or free (if you eat/drink).   On Los Muertos (Beach) you will be constantly bothered by vendors selling everything from silver jewelry to clothes.  While these folks can be annoying they are simply entreprenaurs trying to make a living....and they are all quite friendly.  These vendors actually have their own labor union (they wear all white) and are a vital part of our local culture.  If you are not interested simply smile and say "No Gracias." 

Hank

• Like 1

These vendors actually have their own labor union (they wear all white) and are a vital part of our local culture.  If you are not interested simply smile and say "No Gracias." 

Thank you for mentioning that.  Hubby and I have wondered why they are always all wearing white.  Now I can tell him!  

And yes, they can be a nuisance at times, but they are always polite.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lorabelle said:

These vendors actually have their own labor union (they wear all white) and are a vital part of our local culture.  If you are not interested simply smile and say "No Gracias." 

Thank you for mentioning that.  Hubby and I have wondered why they are always all wearing white.  Now I can tell him!  

And yes, they can be a nuisance at times, but they are always polite.  

The all white thing is kind of interesting.  This dress code is something done by the vendors (there are no government rules) as a matter of pride and to let folks know they are part of that group/union.  Sometimes there are interlopers (often not in white) and I guess that technically they have a right to do their thing on that beach since it is a public beach.  But eventually the regular vendors will make their displeasure known to those interlopers  :).   Some of the regular vendors have been working on that beach for many years and have their regular customers.  And it is all very friendly.  Many years ago DW and I bought a beach umbrella from a vendor and I bargained the price down to a very good deal (for me).  Afterwards both DW and felt bad that we had not paid more.  About 5 years later when I needed another umbrella I asked that same vendor for his price and paid it without any negotiation (a no no).  I got a great smile because he understood :).   Those of us who live in PV year after year actually get to know some of these vendors by name.  While they do get annoying many of us appreciate that they are working hard to support their families and not relying on a government welfare program.   So while I might say "no gracias" twenty times a day it is always done in a polite way and with a smile.

Hank

• Like 2

Hlitner, had to smile at your story of the negotiations.  I often negotiate a price down low and then I give them more anyway.  Haha.  For instance, the last time we went to Playa Los Muertos, I negotiated our cab fare to $10.  (He started at $15)  There was a lot of traffic that morning, and it took us a bit to get there.  We gave him $15 anyway, and he was very appreciative.  I felt like it was worth the $15, and the traffic was cutting into his opportunity to grab another fare and make more money that day.  Times have been tough for them without many tourists for so long.  

• Like 1