Tours

larry_s_taco

We are scheduled to port in Jamaica in Feb. on the Reflection. I know things change rapidly due to Covid restricitons, but I would like to ask those of you who have been to Jamaica on a cruise since Aug. 2021 a question. While in port were you allowed to tour around by yourself, or did you have to take a ship sponsored tour? 

We have cruised twice since June 2021 and find that it really depends of the island you are visiting. 

Our cruise doesn't start until next week, but I got an email today that may help you.  I sent an email to an independent tour guide in Jamaica asking about a private tour on the day we port there (Ocho Rios).  He didn't respond, so I asked someone else, and arranged a tour with him.  Today the first guy got back to me - my email had gotten hung up in his spam filter, but he was happy to provide a tour.  I explained that I'd already lined up someone else, but would pass his name along (Winston Gayle) to anyone I heard of looking for a tour guide.  His reply was that he didn't think I could help him, because the tour has to be booked before the ship sets sail (I think he's thinking there's no internet aboard?) because he has to turn in the information to the port to be allowed to pick up his passengers.

What I glean from that is that private tours are happening with local tour guides, as opposed to just ship-sponsored tours, but I don't know about whether you're allowed to just walk off the ship and find your own way.

Hope that helps until someone who's been there can answer.  

• Like 1