Winter cruise from southampton kids?

cookie7310

Hi 

I have noticed some sailings have appeared for 7 nights from southampton i havent cruised msc before or post pandemic 

My wife and i are thinking of taking are 2 young sons (3 years and 9months) 

Are they allowed

What are the testing requirements and are they done at the port 

And are the kids facilities up and running 

Do msc do a night creche 

Tia 

Dave 

1 hour ago, cookie7310 said:

Hi 

I have noticed some sailings have appeared for 7 nights from southampton i havent cruised msc before or post pandemic 

My wife and i are thinking of taking are 2 young sons (3 years and 9months) 

Are they allowed

What are the testing requirements and are they done at the port 

And are the kids facilities up and running 

Do msc do a night creche 

Tia 

Dave 

Yes you can take your sons. Both adults will need to be fully jab and everyone over the age of 2yrs old will need to do a RT-PCR test within 72hrs of travel.

When checking in everyone will be tested before boarding too. I think they are also testing during the cruise also.

You will need travel insurance which covers covid if not msc do provide a covid insurance product which you can purchase. You will not be allowed on board without cover.

You will also need to fill in online passenger locator form (PLF) for each passenger returning back to the UK and Belgium before you depart Southampton.

I am travelling on the Magnifica in 18days time out of Southampton and at present we have to sign a declaration to say we have no covid and are fully vaccinated for France and a PLF for Belgium. Plus proof of jabs. This is something which needs to be kept an eye on as its changed since I booked. All the info is on gov.uk for entry into other countries.

When I was on the Virtuosa in July the kids clubs were running not sure about night times though. I have a daughter but all grown up now. So probably not the best person to ask re kids clubs.

1 hour ago, CaroleC said:

What’s changed Suzanne? I really need to get my head around the various requirements lol.

Hi Carol a lot of confusion with the Netherlands and now as of yesterday just proof of double vaccinated. I thought they needed a plf as well BUT and this is a big but the Netherlands have now announced a weird lockdown which is more like a curfew. So shops etc for the nxt 3weeks have to shut early and now you have to wear masks when out and about in public spaces so they may introduce new entry requirements. Nick is even wondering if we will be allowed off now. We are watching Germany like a hawk too as they say their covid rates are going through the roof. I've got all my tickets now still got to book our PCR but we want to book them as close to Saturday 27th as possible just incase msc change anything and what with their upgrade with their system regarding grading of cabins etc. All very exciting! 

1 hour ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

Hi Carol a lot of confusion with the Netherlands and now as of yesterday just proof of double vaccinated. I thought they needed a plf as well BUT and this is a big but the Netherlands have now announced a weird lockdown which is more like a curfew. So shops etc for the nxt 3weeks have to shut early and now you have to wear masks when out and about in public spaces so they may introduce new entry requirements. Nick is even wondering if we will be allowed off now. We are watching Germany like a hawk too as they say their covid rates are going through the roof. I've got all my tickets now still got to book our PCR but we want to book them as close to Saturday 27th as possible just incase msc change anything and what with their upgrade with their system regarding grading of cabins etc. All very exciting! 

Oh wow, I didn’t know any of this. Good job you’re keeping on top of things. I’ve already booked our PCR tests on Boxing Day at Birmingham Airport. I didn’t want to risk not being able to get an appointment as it’s the only place within relatively easy travelling distance that’s open over the Xmas period. Keeping my fingers crossed that our cabin doesn’t get changed like it did on the 2 Virtuosa cruises we did in the summer.

2 minutes ago, CaroleC said:

Oh wow, I didn’t know any of this. Good job you’re keeping on top of things. I’ve already booked our PCR tests on Boxing Day at Birmingham Airport. I didn’t want to risk not being able to get an appointment as it’s the only place within relatively easy travelling distance that’s open over the Xmas period. Keeping my fingers crossed that our cabin doesn’t get changed like it did on the 2 Virtuosa cruises we did in the summer.

I checked the metro centre in Gateshead today to see if I could book a pcr today if I wanted too and there were loads of appointments. So gonna wait for msc to update their website and see if anything changes then book it. We have got a Bella inside on deck 11 with cabin number so they can upgrade us if they want 😉  usually we have a balcony but next 3 cruises we are in yc and a suite on the Magnifica in May. If there are any major changes I'll let you know.😊

I checked the metro centre in Gateshead today to see if I could book a pcr today if I wanted too and there were loads of appointments. So gonna wait for msc to update their website and see if anything changes then book it. We have got a Bella inside on deck 11 with cabin number so they can upgrade us if they want 😉  usually we have a balcony but next 3 cruises we are in yc and a suite on the Magnifica in May. If there are any major changes I'll let you know.😊

Oooh YC and a suite, nice! We went for a Fantastica balcony on deck 10 on Magnifica, not sure how much use it will get though in December/January 🥶

1 hour ago, CaroleC said:

Oooh YC and a suite, nice! We went for a Fantastica balcony on deck 10 on Magnifica, not sure how much use it will get though in December/January 🥶

Yes could be a bit chilly 🥶 I wanted to have a balcony on this cruise but Nick was like are we actually going to use it. I couldn't really argue with him as he was paying for yet another cruise this year so I said OK to inside just this once! I'm sure it will be fine and I know what cabins I've got coming up 🙂 

Just now, Cruiseforever11 said:

Yes could be a bit chilly 🥶 I wanted to have a balcony on this cruise but Nick was like are we actually going to use it. I couldn't really argue with him as he was paying for yet another cruise this year so I said OK to inside just this once! I'm sure it will be fine and I know what cabins I've got coming up 🙂 

Yeh we’ve got an inside on the Anthem in June which will be be a first for us. I’ve wanted to try one on Royal for a while now as the difference in price between interiors and balconies can be significant. Could mean an extra cruise a year if we get on with it ok although Mick’s convinced I’m going miss the balcony too much 😁

6 minutes ago, CaroleC said:

Yeh we’ve got an inside on the Anthem in June which will be be a first for us. I’ve wanted to try one on Royal for a while now as the difference in price between interiors and balconies can be significant. Could mean an extra cruise a year if we get on with it ok although Mick’s convinced I’m going miss the balcony too much 😁

I'm going to miss natural daylight although curtains on cruises are like black blinds and really good at blocking light. It is however the pull back the curtains and have the outside world to look at regardless of the wind and the rain or the sun. Just to go outside in your own personal space for a bit of fresh air is just a nice thing to do in the morning even if it's raining so I do understand. So regarding our inside going to see what it's like and like you if I would like that extra cruise I might have to have an inside once in a while 😊

• Like 1

Hi Carol I have just check my cabins on both my Magnifica cruises. The 30th Nov and the other 1st May.

My 30th Nov cabin has been upgraded from a bog standard Bella inside to an inside fantastica called a junior interior! Ok great not to bother about that however my 1st May cruise I had an Aurea Suite the top one and this has now been down graded to a deluxe Suite😳 same cabin but they have changed the categories around. 

I know you have a balcony so I would just check and see if you have upgraded or downgraded or stayed the same.

58 minutes ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

Hi Carol I have just check my cabins on both my Magnifica cruises. The 30th Nov and the other 1st May.

My 30th Nov cabin has been upgraded from a bog standard Bella inside to an inside fantastica called a junior interior! Ok great not to bother about that however my 1st May cruise I had an Aurea Suite the top one and this has now been down graded to a deluxe Suite😳 same cabin but they have changed the categories around. 

I know you have a balcony so I would just check and see if you have upgraded or downgraded or stayed the same.

Hi Suzanne, just checked. We’ve still got the same Fantastica cabin on Deck 10, now called a Deluxe Balcony lol. If you’ve still got the same cabin on the 1st May sailing, have they just changed the name of it or have you lost some of the perks?

4 hours ago, CaroleC said:

Hi Suzanne, just checked. We’ve still got the same Fantastica cabin on Deck 10, now called a Deluxe Balcony lol. If you’ve still got the same cabin on the 1st May sailing, have they just changed the name of it or have you lost some of the perks?

Hi yes we still have the same cabin and its now called a deluxe aurea suite. It says our cabin is smaller with a smaller balcony than a premium aurea cabin which are on deck 14 and above. We have a cabin that has an angled balcony (we like those because they are slightly bigger than a normal one) on deck 9 

No difference in perks that affects us but correct me if wrong but the only thing I can see that's missing is you don't get the free easy drinks package included now in Aurea. 

I'm not going to lose sleep over it as long as they don't change my cabin.

4 hours ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

Hi yes we still have the same cabin and its now called a deluxe aurea suite. It says our cabin is smaller with a smaller balcony than a premium aurea cabin which are on deck 14 and above. We have a cabin that has an angled balcony (we like those because they are slightly bigger than a normal one) on deck 9 

No difference in perks that affects us but correct me if wrong but the only thing I can see that's missing is you don't get the free easy drinks package included now in Aurea. 

Surely you should get the DP that was included in your original booking?? 

4 hours ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

We have the same type of cabin as you in Feb, our TA has assured us that the Aurea perks will remain the same as when we booked . Have just checked and they are all still showing and cabin number is the same (thank goodness).

I think the other thing that is missing from the new Aurea category beside the drinks is the free massage.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CaroleC said:

Surely you should get the DP that was included in your original booking?? 

We still have drinks package as included in price we have a premium plus and still got. So not worried but they have in general removed easy dp from aurea which was one the perks if you like.

5 hours ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

We still have drinks package as included in price we have a premium plus and still got. So not worried but they have in general removed easy dp from aurea which was one the perks if you like.

Got you. I thought you meant they’d removed YOUR drinks package, obviously didn’t read your post properly 🤦‍♀️😉

• Haha 1

On 11/12/2021 at 11:25 PM, Cruiseforever11 said:

I am travelling on the Magnifica in 18days time out of Southampton

Suzanne, have you heard anything from MSC regarding cancelling/changing any ports in view of the current unrest in Europe? I was just watching the news and things look really bad in a couple of places with the protesting/rioting over lockdowns. 

8 hours ago, CaroleC said:

Suzanne, have you heard anything from MSC regarding cancelling/changing any ports in view of the current unrest in Europe? I was just watching the news and things look really bad in a couple of places with the protesting/rioting over lockdowns. 

Hi Carol not heard a thing. It is a bit concerning in the Netherlands especially but they seem to have their fights a night but some of the protests are in the day time too like in Brussels. I'm going to see what happens today/tomorrow and if its still bad over there then I will call msc as the last thing we want is to be caught up in all that. There is nothing on the gov.uk website to say avoid travel as checking this daily now for each country incase they change any requirements. 

Just to add they have a cruise departing tomorrow before we travel so I don't know if there is anyone on cc who is travelling on this cruise tomorrow that could update us if any changes happen. 

Edited by Cruiseforever11

Hi Carol not heard a thing. It is a bit concerning in the Netherlands especially but they seem to have their fights a night but some of the protests are in the day time too like in Brussels. I'm going to see what happens today/tomorrow and if its still bad over there then I will call msc as the last thing we want is to be caught up in all that. There is nothing on the gov.uk website to say avoid travel as checking this daily now for each country incase they change any requirements. 

Just to add they have a cruise departing tomorrow before we travel so I don't know if there is anyone on cc who is travelling on this cruise tomorrow that could update us if any changes happen. 

I'm not on until Feb but have been following on the other site where there are lots of people currently onboard and going this week. They are currently leaving as normal tomorrow, I'll post if I see any difference.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

I had a look on the gov.uk website too but as you say, nothing’s changed at all. I’m surprised there hasn’t been a travel warning put on there tbh. If you hear anything, let me know. 

31 minutes ago, CaroleC said:

I had a look on the gov.uk website too but as you say, nothing’s changed at all. I’m surprised there hasn’t been a travel warning put on there tbh. If you hear anything, let me know. 

Will do. I'm going to keep an eye out as to what's happening over there too. Germany I get the impression may follow Austria. Netherlands are in a partial lockdown for 3weeks but that's more like a night curfew which the in last 3 nights has been ignored with the fighting. Belgium has introduced stricter face coverings in places & France are just as they are at the moment. 

• Thanks 1