Stateroom Service changes?

BamaBelle

I took my first cruise when I sailed on the Conquest in early February 2004 and was greatly impressed with the entire experience. I am hooked! My cabin/stateroom stewards were so attentive to every detail. Ice was always fresh, etc. and it was obvious they were in and out of our stateroom throughout the days and evenings taking care of our every need plus. Then I took my second cruise late April 2004 and it too was on the Conquest. However, it was obvious the stateroom stewards we had this time on my second cruise only stopped in twice daily from all the signs; once in the mornings and once early evenings while we were at the 5:45pm main dinner seating. Our ice was usually always melted way down, etc. My question is this, did Carnival cut back on the stateroom service since the time I sailed this past February? As for the ice thing, I do not have a problem getting my own ice which was really the only thing that was of significant importance as long as I had adequate bath linens, but just curious if anyone knew what was going on. Thanks in advance.

BamaBelle

First of all, welcome to the board.

I really think that the typical stateroom service is more like what you experienced on your first cruise.

I wouldn't worry about it but if you were not pleased with how things were going on another cruise I'd sure let someone know about it while onboard.

Thats an easy fix

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Diamond Princess 12/22/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

Just some observations from when I started cruising in 1997 to current. The service has seemed to go down hill somewhat but every once in awhile we get that great steward who you want to take home and usually double his/her tip.

Cabin cat. seems to effect this. I do not know if they move up and get less cabins and higher cat. if they do well or what but I have noticed better service for higher cat.

Stewards vary from side to side of the ship. When on the Legend my in-laws had a great steward, ours refused to give us the amenity basket and wanted to know why we needed it.

Fascination 1997 Destiny 2000

Victory 2000 Sensation 2001

Norway 2002 Legend 2002

NCL Dawn 2003 Inspiration 2003

Victory 2004 Holiday 2004

Thanks Hoski for the input. In my case, cabin category was not a factor. On my first cruise where I received the very attentive stateroom service, I was a 4A on the between fwd and midship on the Riviera deck. On my second cruise where the service was no where near as great, I was a cabin category 6B and had two windows with a fabulous view on the very front fwd Panorama deck. Go figure.

BamaBelle

In my 14 cruises, the stewards have two scheduled shifts for cabin make ups. This allows them to work from 7 AM till 12 noon and from 6PM till about 10. There has usually been a phone number in the cabin or number for his/her beeper if something special is needed.

Sounds like you had a truely outstanding steward on your first cruise and I'm sure it shows up at the end of the week when he/she counts up her tips.

hdawson, Thanks for the heads up on the steward's schedule. If I ever have a problem in the future like I did every night on my last cruise with more water than ice when I need it, I will just request they come much later in the evenings rather than so early.

BamaBelle

A lot depends on how many cabins they have that week, how messy the people are, and so on.

When you have Days at Sea, people tend to sleep in longer than Days in Port, causing their available time to get to your room to get cut short as well. The room stewards have a set lunch time too, and if they don't get there in time they have to wait until dinner to eat.

On some cruises we thought the room steward lived under the bed, and on the Destiny a year ago she only came in twice per day.

All of my experiences have been more like your second experience. Don't get me wrong...the room is always clean and I am satisfied, but they visited twice per day...no more than that. Maybe I just haven't been lucky enough to have the excellent stewards who visit numerous times throughout the day. icon_confused.gif

Sovereign of the Seas 06/00

Inspiration 06/02

Carnival Conquest 06/03

Carnival Conquest 05/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;5;30;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0600 Until the Conquest sails!!!!!

GroupCruiser, thanks for the response. On our first sea day, our stateroom was not cleaned until sometime after 1pm regardless of us being early risers. However, every day thereafter, they cleaned it in the morning.

One day we ran out of kleenex and a new box was never put in our bathroom at either time they came in the next day. But that night, I saw one of the stewards when I was on my way to get ice and we asked him about it and he apologized and said he would put some more out in the morning for us. One of our neighbors overheard and offered us the extra box from their stateroom they happen to have. I think all stewards are obviously not equal since we had such an attentive one on our first cruise like you sound like you have had for the most part.

BamaBelle

bigmacfan, thanks for the response. I have come to the conclusion I was just plain spoiled by my first cruise

stewards since I only had my second cruise stewards to compare them to. At least now I will know what to pretty much expect in the future and not question anything unless

it is something in real significant need of attention.

BamaBelle

BamaBelle,

I sailed on the Conquest just a few weeks ago, and like your recent experience, we only saw the steward twice a day.

I even offered him $20 to check on the ice bucket through the day, but he refused. (maybe that wasn't enough?) The service was good, but it wasn't as good as I was expecting.

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=4>

<param name="day" value=18>

<param name="hour" value=18>

</applet>

Carnival Conquest 4/18/04

tjevans, thanks for the response. I have previously read on the boards how some cruisers give their stewards tips upfront or small gifts making it clear it was in addition to what would be getting in tips when they depart to insure they will take good care of them throughout the cruise. That is unreal that steward refused the $20 to keep a check on your ice bucket!!!! Seems he would have jumped on the opportunity. I am becoming more and more convinced that all stewards are apparently not equal.

BamaBelle

In my experience with cabin stewards, for the most part I have found them nice, agreeable, happy to comply with my requests, etc. I think that sometime the 'communication' is not there - some of the stewards just plain don't understand English very well, and there is that miscommunication. I've actually had to 'act out' what it is I'm trying to convey. icon_rolleyes.gif However, it's never been problem. (I've always like playing Charades!) icon_eek.gif

Hoski ~ How odd that he refused to give you an amenity basket! Also about the other poster and the $20. Surely he misunderstood that...who'd pass up a $20 tip? icon_biggrin.gif

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

The cabin stewards are not full time butlers and really can't work from 8AM till 11PM to make sure your ice hasn't melted. How many of us need our cabins made up more than twice a day? The stewards have to have time for meals and some down time since they do work a full seven days per week for eight months at a time.

I've always been pleased with the service provided by my stewards. If I need ice, I call the number (phone or pager) or find it myself.

hdawson -- Don't get me wrong, I was still pleased by the service. It just didn't seem to be the "extra mile" that I anticipated. I've read countless posts on here about how the stewards seem to always know when you're away and straighten up the room. It only happened twice a day for me. I didn't need it throughout the day, I was just expecting more.

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=4>

<param name="day" value=18>

<param name="hour" value=18>

</applet>

Carnival Conquest 4/18/04

There was one cruise where I don't think I ever saw the cabin steward, but you sure could tell that he had been there. The cabin was kept very neat and clean. Of course, I'm happy if I don't have to make the bed. Add a mint on the pillow and some towel animals, and I'm thrilled. icon_biggrin.gif

Pat K.

Archived