White Pass Railway in Skagway?

kruseguy

Hi there!

We are going on the June 17th Alaskan cruise on the Summit. While we are in Skagway - which is better to do - thake the White Pass Railway or take the "To the Summit!" bus trip to the Summit? Also would be be better to book the earlier 8:30 am trip or go later in the day?

Thanks,

Kruiseguy

Speaking for myself I would take the train(which I have) and we went on the early one so that when we got back we had time for some shopping and then back to the ship to relax before dinner.

Marilyn

We were in Skagway on September the 23. We were on the last of the cruise ships for the year. We took the early train (White Pass and Yukon Route). It was cold. It rained. As we climbed up in elevation and got into the clouds it was like being in fog.

It was beautiful. Breathtaking and just plain beautiful.

We expected rain and it did. We expected cold and it was. What we did not expect was the beauty and it really was.

I wore my rain coat and warm clothes under that. I had the "Storm Jacket Camera Cover" on my camera. I hung out between the rail cars so that I could take better photos (I'm a photographer). I got wet and cold but I shot some great photos. Periodically I would come inside the rail car to get warm and dry off. (They have a space heater at the rear of each car).

When we go back to Alaska I will take this train again. We have cruised many times and have taken many excursions. This one is by far our most favorite.

Del

Hi,

I must add my encouragement to do the White Pass & Yukon Railway excursion.

While I'm sure the bus would be an excellent drive, especially if it includes return trip down the mountainside on the railroad, I can't imagine that the view could be as spectacular as they are on the train.

As pointed out earlier, the train hugs the old "Gold Rush" trail, and follows the river and hugs the cliffs. On the bus (you can periodically see the road early in the train trip) you'd see the ravine, but on the train you're really in it! The views from the train cars are not to be missed!!

And, as has already been pointed out, opt for the earliest available train trip, and give yourself the afternoon to enjoy the pleasures of Skagway and its' many fun things to do. It's very easy to enjoy the streets and shops of town and walk there from the ship.

Have a GREAT cruise!

CM

You will get lots of views on this. Last year, we went on the Skagway extravaganza trip through X - which involved a bus up and train back then a trip to the Liarsville Camp and the Red Onion saloon. It was a good day out and one of the better value shore excursions through X I thought bus up was good, because you got an idea of the scale of the scenery and the extent to which the railtrack clung to the mountain, then you had the beauty of the train back down. Whatever way you do it though, I would not drive this trip but have someone else do the driving and enjoy the train which gets behind cuttings the road does not so you really get a sense of what the Klondykers went through

Hi,

Yes, there are local operators. But be wary, not of the locals but of times and availability.

Skagway is a very, very small town, and nearly totally seasonal. There may be more than one ship in port at the same time. With a limited number of seats/spaces available on any excursion, and a limited number of operators, it might be 'chancey' to wait for a local operator's availability as opposed to booking the cruise line excursion in advance.

Last time we were there we found the cruise line excursions to be comparably priced to local offerings, for what we wanted to do.

Additionally, always bear in mind that if your primary excursion will be to go into the Yukon, far afield of Skagway, a ships' excursion gives the added security of a return to a waiting ship. The cost of getting from Skagway to your next port would be astronomical.

CM

While you are at it - BUY the DVD they sell on board $15 I believe. You can relive the trip over and over again. Also the water bottles they hand out are collectors items - 8oz and the larger ones are a set of 4 ( purchase are also collectors items

The first year we took the train in early May and it was too spectacular to put into words. There was still snow on the ground and on the moutian tops.

The second year we took the bus up the others side the first week of June. Not as much snow and the vistas were not as grand but still sights to fill your memory banks.

The train offers a special feeling to me. The thrill of riding a train through the mountains with turns so tight you can see the whole train as it goes around the mountain. That is something you cannot feel from the bus. You can ride a bus anytime or place but how many trains do you ride with so much history.?

Renting a car saves money but it not about money is about the unique experiences you take home that are important to me.

Do as you will I have had my say.

Hi there!

We are going on the June 17th Alaskan cruise on the Summit. While we are in Skagway - which is better to do - thake the White Pass Railway or take the "To the Summit!" bus trip to the Summit? Also would be be better to book the earlier 8:30 am trip or go later in the day?

Thanks,

Kruiseguy

Sit on the left side of train going up. Canyon is on left. You will switch sides on top for return trip. If it's foggy when you start up, disregard that and sit on right going up. It may clear for ride down and you will be on canyon side. Try not to get in first couple of cars behind engines. Fuel fumes are bad at times.

Their website is: www.whitepassrailroad.com

We were very happy with the excursion through Celebrity - saved the hassle of sorting anything out ourselves and it was very well put together. I have so many pictures of that journey - including one from way up high on a bend in the railway where you could see the ship in port!

We did the train in June 2006, early afternoon departure, cloudy with break thru sun. The train picked us up at the dock

How impressed you are will depend on where you are from and have visited. We were not that impressed, being from the west coast of Canada (better scenery) and having been on historical trains in Australia (more character).

Picture taking- We found the best pictures from the train were on the platforms between the cars.

Recommendation- If we knew then what we know now mixed feelings as to whether we would recommend the train. Likely preference would be to rent a car, which gives one flexibility on the weather, and allows you to stop and absorb the scenery when you want.

If you cross the Cnd borber reminder to bring passport

On Princess, we took an excursion that took the train up and a bus back. Our train went a little further than the round trip rides - to Frasier I think. It also looked a lot less crowded than the round trip train, but I can't say for sure since we were not in the cars on the round trip train as it was a different run.

On the bus ride back we stopped at a couple scenic lookouts and stopped for lunch at a place called Liarsville, where they had some gold rush era displays and a little skit. Also served a great grilled salmon lunch there, all cooked and eaten outside. I'm not a big salmon fan, but really liked this one. Aside from lunch, liarsville was a little corny but fun. Excursion also ended at the red garter saloon for a touristy tour, which included a beer or soft drink.

All in all it seemed like a very nice alternative to the round trip train ride with some other activities. There were a couple of other similar trips (one way train) which sounded interesting, including a heli-hike that takes a helicopter up, drops off a couple miles from frasier, guided hike back to frasier, and train ride back. If we go again we might try that one. But I would highly recommend the White pass train. We really enjoyed the scenery, even though it was a few days after some stunning pre-cruise train trips on the Alaskan RR to Denali and Kenai area.

Having visited Alaska twice and planning a return next summer we would say noting bet doing a drive tour, the train was nice but going into the Yukon and seeing the wildlife we came across and the beauty of the land was like a dream come true. You can picture things in your mine but when it all come true before your eyes there no other feeling like it. The little town of Carcross is a blast in itself. Great ice creams in the old store (homemade) a place to get fresh sandwiches and cool or hot drinks. Then a drive to the mountain top for lunch Yes, doing the train is a great way to see a small part of the scenery but a drive into the Yukon was the greatest adventure IOO one can do. So much to see and so little time to do so, that why we are returning! Sorry to intrude, but we were so blown away that we just had to put our 2 cents. By all meant if the train is your choice in no way are we saying not to do it. No matter what you chose you won’t go wrong. Great ideas from everyone!! Have a great time and take your camera to capture the memories. Please check out our pictures of Skagway by clicking on the link below (“OUR CRUISE PICTURES”) and you’ll see why we love it.:o

Dave and Elaine

Hi there!

Thanks,

Kruiseguy

I'd have to look at the shorex for your cruise, as ours was the White Pass Railway one way, and bus back the other. We saw the train on the return trip (see 5th photo). The scenery was beyond belief. Whichever way you choose to do it, just be sure to do it!

wp1.jpg.9db6c196daa9b29019635ac4b23aa427.jpg

wp2.jpg.bd9424fc08bcd549496fdd4a79965abe.jpg

wp3.jpg.0497b1aeb2ea9f47750e36b409a3be98.jpg

wp4.jpg.2014d0914ef7ef10f08da17818af2513.jpg

wp5.jpg.06f20db4c78e2f3a7b35d84e49223406.jpg

If you take the train, I would suggest booking it through Celebrity. If you are booked through Celebrity and for the early train, you will get off the ship and directly on the train. The trains back up on to the pier. If you book it on your own, you will have to walk in town and board at the train station. Not a huge deal, but I liked the convience of having breakfast on the ship and walking directly on to the train.

We did the round trip. I like the idea of bus in one direction and the thrain in the other. Just make sure that if you take the train only in one direction that you sit on the correct side to see the sights. Left side going up (facing up the mountain) and right side going down (facing down the mountain). I make the destinction because the seats are reversable.

We are going back to Alaska on the 9/9 Summit. We were looking forward to revisiting Skagway, but Celebrity changed the ports on us. We have dropped Skagway and are going to Icy Straight Point.

You can ride on a bus anywhere, take the train.....................:D

Also agree with getting tickets through the cruiseline. The few bucks you save getting tickets on your own isn't worth the effort, or taking the chance of an early sell out.

Also agree with buying the DVD. Not only can you enjoy the sights over again but you can share those with friends/family.

My husband and I took the train. We bought the tickets ourselves at the station (reserved in advance). It was spectacular, do not miss it. We had a spectacular clear blue sky day first week of June. We then took a bus to Caribou Crossing a small town where we were dropped off to explore a little around town for about two hrs then the bus would return and take us back to Skagway. Caribou Crossing was really small and I really wanted to see Emerald Lake which is only about 8 miles from there. I was hoping there would be some small tour operator to take you to the local sights and Emerald Lake but Caribou Crossing is really, really small and the only thing to see there was incredible scenery, the old train station which is now a local museum and and old trading-post-general store-ice cream parlor. So we walked around town, took some pictures, and grabbed an ice-cream. We checked out the local museum and while I visited the ladies room I ran into the lady working the counter at the ice cream parlor. She recognized me and asked what we were doing in Caribou. I told her we were hoping to go to Emerald Lake as I knew it was very close but since there weren't any tour operators in the area we were going to just wait for the bus and head back to Skagway. That's when she opened her purse and handed me her car keys! Told me to take a left at the stop sign and be sure to stop at this little roadside spot along the way for the best homemade cinnamon buns in the Yukon. I was absolutely shocked and very grateful. I explained that I was from Chicago, where people are generally friendly but if she were ever in Chicago she would have to call me because no one else would be giving a stranger their car keys. Emerald Lake was incredble and so were the cinnamon buns. One thing I didn't know is when we left Skagway and entered the Yukon we crossed a time change. We struck up a conversation with the cinnamon bun lady and she saved our butts when she told us about the time change. We got back to caribou just as the bus was pulling into town. It was the best day of our 14 in Alaska. We can't wait to go back 2007. Enjoy!!

Melissa

Hi Kruiseguy,

Don't think there is really any bad choice, but our recommendation would either be the train or, our preference, rent the car. We went with another couple and I think our AARP rate was something like $60. The typical route is to Emerald lake and back.Check out the Alaska ports board-there is a lot of information on this topic. The car drive is fantastic. A nice man named Murray has published a guide (download from the net) that is super. We think the main advantage to renting a car is that you are free to stop, take pictures, etc, anywhere you want. Often we would see a bus pass us by and wonder why they didn't stop. Also, we talked with folks who had taken the train ride, and, on that particular day, their view was obstructed by fog most of the way. On the car ride, you often encounter fog till you get over the mountain, then it is clear.

Regardless, it is a magnificent journey, and you will have a most memorable day.

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

Archived