Belfast Tours

Advice from previous British Isles cruisers!

I'm looking at booking a private tour for 16 people for Belfast/Giant's Causeway with Minicoachin. The price is good, and they seem well organized. However, they require 100% of tour cost upon booking (300 GBP). They will refund 2 weeks prior to tour date, but if tour is cancelled within 14 days of tour, we loose the whole thing! :eek: Same thing, if for whatever reason the ship miss this port, we would loose the entire amount.

If I was a travel agency, I probably would have insurance for this, but we're not! So I'm looking to you CCers to give me your opinion on this, and also suggest other tour companies you may have been using for similar tours in Belfast!

MC

Marie-Claude,

I can only give input on Mini Coach. We used them on our visit to Belfast last June aboard The Golden Princess. They did a great job and we were well pleased with the tour. Belfast is an interesting city. I'm still amazed that we docked directly across from the dry dock where The Titantic was built. The tour was well organized and paced. My family enjoyed the visit to a small pub for lunch and I really enjoyed the short stop at the Bushnell Distillery.

KG in Tennessee

Can I reccommend Belfast city tours. I used this company often for work and know the owner. Feel free to bid him down in price for a group. http://www.city-sightseeing.com/

Or else there is the West Belfast taxi tours. Their site is down but it is http://www.wbta.net They are brillant and are from the area. My fil used to be a black taxi driver if you need anymore info let me know.

Thanks for the two sites recommendation.

I emailed city-sightseeing and will hopefully get an answer back from them. I had looked at their website earlier and saw the tours they had, but their schedule didn't fit ours... so hopefully they're able to customize an itinerary for us...

West Belfast taxi tours. Their site is down but it is http://www.wbta.net

As for West Belfast, their website still isn't working. I'll try again later, but I've tried a few times today but to no avail...:confused:

Do you know their email address maybe??

Thanks!

I can only give input on Mini Coach. We used them on our visit to Belfast last June aboard The Golden Princess. They did a great job and we were well pleased with the tour.

Thanks KG!

It does sound like a great tour - I'm just leary of handing them the whole amount (for 12-16 people I don't really know), without the possibility of a refund if the ship misses this port or something else happens...:o Was it the same for you last year??

MC

I found you some more information. This is where we are from (West Belfast)at least the Irish side.

Bookings for the West belfast Taxis:

Tel:44(0)28 9059 0800

mobile: 44(0)77 7941 8117 (out of hours)

Web-site http//www.wbta.net

e.mail: wbta@iol.ie.

Cost:

1-4 people £15.00 per hour

5-6 people £20.00 per hour

£10.00 per hour thereafter

At the website to the local tourist office. http://www.westbelfast-failte.com/tours%20copy.asp

Glad I can help...Belfast is great place!!!

Hi PrincessYoga!

I have received an email from Citysigthseeing telling me they received my request and would answer me sometime this week. Hopefully it'll be good news!

I also got a quote from one of the black taxi company. I need your opinion on this. They are telling me we can sit comfortably 6 people in the taxi - 3 on each bench facing each others. I'm not sure how big those vehicles are, but would you agree that we could sit 3 people on each bench, or are we going to be squished??:confused:

Thanks for your help!

So many options, so many decisions. The more I read the posting, the more I learn what is worthwhile seeing in Belfast and the various ways of doing so. We will basically have a window of around 8:30 to 5:00. We will be on a cruise ship and CAN'T be late.

Is it possible to do a brief tour of the city of Belfast highlights and also out to the Giant's Causeway in that time (and possibly the bridge you spoke of earlier)

If this is possible without going too fast that you miss everything, who would you recommend that I customize through a black cab or city sightseeing. Which one would be more affordable?

glenn

I experienced the very same thing...had a group ready to share a tour of the Antrim Coast through minicoach, and then found out about the 100% deposit. If the ship gets rerouted due to bad weather, you're out a lot of money. Our group decided it wasn't worth it. We are splitting into smaller groups of 4 and looking for a taxi tour. Value Cabs gave us a price of 200 pounds for a tour taking us to Carrick-a-rede, Bushmill's, Giant's Causeway, photo stop at Dunluce Castle, and a quick tour of the "troubled areas" with the murals as well as city hall on the way back to the ship. It will end up being more expensive per person, but I just can't see risking the deposit. Am interested to hear of the prices quoted by any other cab companies for a similar tour.

Hi SueMo

I think we'll be looking at a similar arrangement, and the price quoted by black cab is the same. He did suggest that we could sit comfortably 6 per cab for 230 GBP.

Good luck with your planning - when are you leaving??

I would strongly reccomend the black taxi tours over anything else because of the personal attention and because it is done by local people and the money goes back into the local economy. The money you pay for the tours goes straight back into the home the the person who does the tours bar in "rent" - I forget the tern my fil uses. You get a better chance to ask questions. I have never taken a city tour. I believe that they are the most economical option. At my wedding we also used them at the rehearsal and rehersal dinner to take my American family to the church, show them a bit and then up to the dinner. They really liked it. They are so much more traditional Belfast.

In terms of time...you couldn't do that in one day. What I would do is take the taxi tour and then maybe take a tour around the titanic quarter or I think there are narnia tours now. What time of year are you coming? I will ask if my fil knows the man from the taxis when i am up there tomorrow night.

Can you recommend a company that offers an informative walking tour of belfast?

Princessyoga, since there is not enough time to see everything (Causeway, reed bridge, tour of city etc.) which would you recommend not to miss?

Marie-Claude-

Your quote for the Black Taxis is better pp than mine. Are you planning the same itinerary (Carrick-a-rede, Causeway, Bushmill's, Dunluce & Belfast)? Also, did you use the address wtba@iol.ei?

We're on the Constellation leaving Jul 15. How about u?

SueMo:

I got quoted the same price as you - 200GBP for 4 - and after four, it's 30GBP for up to 3 more. The itinerary is the same: Causeway, Bushmill Distillery, the rope bridge and view of Dunluce, return to Belfast for a city tour. I think the various company hold the prices - I tried to negociate ours, and he told me the fee were set.

I got an answer after many emails sent to about 6 different companies I had found on the http://www.gotobelfast.com site. The driver that answered me was from http://www.belfasttours.com

I did email to the address you indicated, but received no answers.

We'll be in Belfast a month after you on the Golden Princess.

Lucky you... Constellation is one of my favorite ship!!

Archived