My husband and I are going to the Southern Caribbean in January. We've been to many ports in the Caribbean, but this is our first time looking for jewelry. Specifically, we need new wedding rings. 

We've no experience, and know the cruise directors love to guide you to Diamonds International and the like. 

What's the real deal with jewelry? Are the cruise lines shilling? Is there real value in buying, other than taxes? 

Any tips on getting good deals is appreciated.  Specifically, we are going to St. Thomas, Dominica, St. Lucia, Barbados & Antigua. We're looking for silver, over gold and diamonds.

Any help for this novice jewelry buyer is appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

St. Thomas is huge for jewelry shopping, with many other stores than just Diamonds International. And I expect the cruise lines do get something out of steering cruisers to particular businesses. Not sure how the tax thing works since St. Thomas is a U.S. territory. As always, buyer beware. You would probably want to do some research in advance so you know what you're comparing things to in terms of quality and price. Personally, I would be more comfortable buying something like wedding rings closer to home, where, if there's a problem, the store would hopefully stand behind the items.