Need help with Newark/Bayonne/New York

jealdaka

We will be arriving in Newark about noon on the day prior to a cruise. We want to spend time in Manhattan seeing the sights. I've found that the hotels will run $150-$200 more there than if we stay near Newark airport. The decision is if we should stay at the airport and just go in to NY for the day and evening and then get a taxi back to the hotel or should we spring for the extra money and stay downtown. Any thoughts? We don't plan on going to a play so that isn't a concern.

Any idea how much taxis are from EWR to Midtown or from Midtown to Cape Liberty? Any and all help will be appreciated!!!!

Look at the following Jersey City (NJ) hotels:

Hyatt

Courtyard

Doubletree

All of the above will provide you with easy access for all of your plans.

Taxi from EWR to midtown NYC is ~$60. I'm guessing midtown to Bayonne would cost you about $50 (EWR to midtown is a flat rate based upon where in NYC you want to go... from NYC to NJ will be double the meter). There are cheaper ways to get from EWR to NYC, but they require a little effort.

If you stay at any of the above Jersey City hotels, you can also then take the lightrail to the Bayonne Pier... but you'll likely then also need a taxi from the lightrail train stop to the actual embarkation building (as it's down a very long driveway)... that cab ride should be less than $10 (but not sure if there will be cabs there waiting... you'll either need to call one via cell phone or try to grab one that is leaving the cruise port after dropping somebody else off).

We will be arriving in Newark about noon on the day prior to a cruise. We want to spend time in Manhattan seeing the sights. I've found that the hotels will run $150-$200 more there than if we stay near Newark airport. The decision is if we should stay at the airport and just go in to NY for the day and evening and then get a taxi back to the hotel or should we spring for the extra money and stay downtown. Any thoughts? We don't plan on going to a play so that isn't a concern.

Any idea how much taxis are from EWR to Midtown or from Midtown to Cape Liberty? Any and all help will be appreciated!!!!

Any money you save staying outside Manhattan will be eaten up by commuting time and cost. You would be much better off cutting your trip to NYC a day short than staying outside the city. Newark airport is a seedy, unpleasant area.

Bid on a priceline hotel. Take the airtrain from Newark to Penn Station which is Midtown.

Thank you both so much for the information!!

I've found a hotel in Midtown so I think that will work out much better. As I understand it, I would be better to use Airtrain to the train station in Newark and then take Amtrak to Penn Station and a taxi to the hotel ( Warwick ). Does that sound right? I didn't realize the taxi would be that expensive but I just remembered that we flew into LGA before. Apparently we can do this for $28 per person plus the 2 cab rides so that isn't too bad.

If anyone has other thoughts for me, please share.

Thanks again!!

There is also a (bus) shuttle from EWR to Port Authority... i think it runs about $16/pp. Not the way to go during rush hour as you can spend WAY TOO MUCH time getting into the tunnel, but if at an off-peak time, it can save you some money.

I often also take a taxi (one i call, not from the taxi line) to Hoboken for $30 (taxi line is $40-$45) and then take the PATH from Hoboken to midtown.

We have just stayed at the Marriott at the EWR airport and it was much better than expected. After reading tripadvisor I was abit worried but it looks like they are renovating rooms and we got rooms that were great. The free shuttle will take you to the terminal where you hop onto the airtrain and take it to the Railink it is 28 $US return per Persons to NY Penn Station. You then head for the exit 7 Ave / Madison Square Gardens that brings you topside one block to the right of Macys and that is walking distance to the Empire Statebuilding. Depending on how much time you have and how much walking you want to do you could walk all the way up to central park & back in about 2,5 - 3 hours. As an alternative use the underground to get around Manhatten - a daily pass will cost you 7 $US......

What else would you like....

Check out New Jersey Transit trains right into Penn Station from the airport before you consider a taxi... with tolls and bridges etc a taxi will be quite expensive.

NJTransit is $14 per person to NY Penn Station in Midtown. Glad you are getting a hotel in Manhattan, Newark is a PIA.

The Hyatt in Jersey City, NJ about $160.00 night (check for specials) has a concierge on duty. They use an outside transportation service (fees listed on website) that can get you from airport to hotel to pier. The hotel is located on the waterfront in Jersey City (spectacular views of NY) within walking distance to PATH trains ($1.50) that will take you to NYC. There is also plenty of restaurants in the area and an indoor shopping mall just a block away.

Hope this helps.

http://jerseycity.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp

Archived