Packing Cubes...

Yes, they are worth it. You stuff stays organized, it is compressed without being squished and therefore you have more packing space, not less, they really don't add any extra bulk to your suitcase. They are made of a nylon material that is very thin.

The good thing about them is, if your suitcase is chosen for inspection, your stuff still stays neat and organized. No unmentionables falling out and no one pawing through your clothes.

Ehride, you can roll your things and pack them into the cubes.

I also use packing folders for sports shirts and slacks, they work great, too.

I LOVE my packing cubes!

Everything stays so organized and neat. When packing for a hot climate, I use three cubes for my tops, one for tanks, one for short sleeves and one for twin sets. I use two for underwear. If we're doing a pre-cruise hotel stay for a few nights, it enables me to easily get to everything I need without getting totally unpacked and everything is still neat to put together to get to the ship.

I have ordered them from http://www.ebags.com . They deliver to Canada. ebags is having free shipping right now. I love the packing cubes as stated above, but they are especially useful for the rolling duffel bag my son uses. His clothes don't all squish down to the bottom of the bag as it rolls. Everything stays neat and less wrinkled.

I used the cubes and folders for the first time on our cruise last November. It was actually easier to unpack as we just put the whole cube in a drawer or undid the folder and lifted the stack to put on the closet shelves. I found that I used the smaller (middle size) cubes as we cross pack and that way we can still put some of everything in each bag but keep the item types separate.

In addition to the above comments on how useful they are -

I started out with just 2, but now have a nice collection of the cubes.

I use one color for myself and another for my husband. Helps him find things much more quickly without turning the entire suitcase upside down.:)

OK, I'll be the lone person on record who doesn't feel the need to have packing cubes:rolleyes: I and my clothing have survived this long without them--I can't imagine they'd add that much to my organization. As it is, thanks to my husband, we unpack as soon as we get anywhere anyway.....Maybe in my single days, when I was more likely to live out of the suitcase, the organization would have been helpful. I'm not saying they're bad, just that I don't feel I need them.....

MrsMoose

Which website did you use and which ones did you order. I tried to go on the LL Bean website but didn't find them.

I wanted someplace as well that would ship to Canada.

Thanks.

I went to www.llbean.com and went to the travel accessories. They only had one kind 3 cubes different sizes as a set.

Simple as they charge any duties up front and I know they are reliable and they take back if somethng is wrong as Ive ordered from them before and I trust them with my credit card. I dont even buy on line I call them on their toll free number and do it via phone as I dont give out my credit card on line if I dont have to.

Let me know if you need more help

good luck

After all the comments, I can see where I will find them useful. I always unpack right away too, but I hate the way my stuff gets disorganized like undies and socks and stuff and I always have some stuff like medicinal and certain toiletries that I like to keep in a bag and just replish as its used, stuff that I take and I can leave it in a cube and only open if and when I need, like extra pocket tissues and things like that. I can see where this will save me a lot of time and effort now that Ive heard all the comments.

I bought 3 but can see where I may need another set.

I've had my luggage opened and inspected at airport security a couple of times and when it was opened I was so glad that I had my stuff in the packing cubes. I didn't have to have their hands all over my personal stuff (they didn't unzip any of the cubes, just squished around the outside edges) and I didn't have to have my lingerie touched and in full view of all my fellow travelers.

Mrs Moose, you'll probably end up buying more. Some trips I use all small ones, and on some I need the larger ones. I have two sets of small, med and large and that serves me well.

I can't pack w/o my packing cubes! My husband even uses them now! I pack short sleeves in one, long sleeves in another. Skirts and slacks in another. I love it for cruising. Formal Night jewelry, purses, strapless bras, etc. are in one bag. Unpacking takes just 2 minutes!! Also great for undies and swimsuits. Everything is VERY organized in my suitcase!

Happy Cruising!

OK, I'll be the lone person on record who doesn't feel the need to have packing cubes:rolleyes: I and my clothing have survived this long without them--I can't imagine they'd add that much to my organization. As it is, thanks to my husband, we unpack as soon as we get anywhere anyway.....Maybe in my single days, when I was more likely to live out of the suitcase, the organization would have been helpful. I'm not saying they're bad, just that I don't feel I need them.....

I didn't buy them for organization. We cruised a couple of weeks after 9/11 and when we arrived in Ft. Lauderdale, we were unlucky enough to have the dreaded "S" on our boarding pass which caused us to have our bags thoroughly searched. At that time they just had a table set up near the check in counter and opened up your bags in front of you and literally went through them piece by piece. I saw some inspectors dump everything out from a suitcase to go through it. The inspectors wore gloves but did not change their gloves to go through the next person's suitcase.

After that experience, I felt there had to be a better way to pack to keep my items tidy and away from other's "germs". When they went to inspecting luggage through x-ray scans and opening random bags in private, I knew I had to do something to prevent a small item from being misplaced. I studied up on different packing methods. We tried the ziplock bags, but found that the compression caused wrinkles in some materials and also caused us to overpack. When I discovered the packing cubes, I was skeptical. I find that we actually don't pack more as the cubes and folders don't quite fit in as neatly as packing loose - perhaps as I use them more, I will be able to pack them as efficiently as I got packing without them. The other good thing was that we were able to fill the cubes days before our packing night. For transatlantic flights, we usually go to bed early and wake up at 3am and pack the suitcase. Having to pack makes us have to get up at that time. By following this procedure, we are tired and able to sleep right after dinner on the flight across the Atlantic.

Archived