Walking around Dominica

Sea and Me

To all of you who have been to Dominica is the town easy to walk around?? We will be there on Sunday March 12th and would like to stop in the Roman Catholic church if we could. I have a walking map of the town, taken from the internet, and the church seems within walking distance to the port. Has anyone walked the town?? Thanks for the information.

Carol

To all of you who have been to Dominica is the town easy to walk around?? We will be there on Sunday March 12th and would like to stop in the Roman Catholic church if we could. I have a walking map of the town, taken from the internet, and the church seems within walking distance to the port. Has anyone walked the town?? Thanks for the information. Carol

Hi Carol,

Yes, it's quite easy to walk to Rosseau. The ship will practically dock downtown. Simply walk to the end of the pier, out the gate and you're there. You can easily walk to the marketplace - which is great for local crafts and the "museum". Town itself is very walkable. We walked along the waterfront as well to the Ft. Young Hotel, which was very nice.

I don't know how you feel about such things, but you will be bombarded with requests for taxis, tours, hair braiding and the like. I don't mean to discourage you - as I really did enjoy seeing town - we went to the local grocery store and so on - but I felt very uncomfortable there. People actually grabbed our arms for handouts and such. I have never felt that way on any other island in the Caribbean, including Jamaica - this was in 2003. So it's just something to keep in mind and it may have changed as more and more ships have been visiting there in recent years. I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Have a great cruise.

Carol we were there last April and didn't have any of the problems above. Once you get past the taxis and private tour operators it was fine. A lot of the side streets were lined with merchant stalls as well as the market place. Everyone we spoke to was gracious and friendly.

We did a short tour in the am and walked around all afternoon. Now saying this, I still wouldn't walk down any side streets, or ally ways that were not full of people, and certainly would not go alone. This island does have a different feel than some of the others we have visited.

Just be aware of your surroundings and don't flash cash, jewelry etc. Leave the expensive stuff on board. We were on a tour and the guide asked us to not let cameras and arms with watches on them hang out the windows as the locals will run up and steal them. You don't have to be afraid, just cautious.

Hi Carol

we visited Rosseau on the Star Princess last month. Previous advice here is spot on- just be cautious, but don't be frightened to walk around.. We negotiated a private tour within the port itself, no problems at all..Outside the gates there was a gathering of locals haggling for business but nothing very different to other islands we have visited.

Incidentally we loved Dominica- so very green and unspoilt- almost 'primitive' compared to other islands we have seen.. The shopping at the port is very basic- it's in a big warehouse (true port traders?) We heard many fellow passengers complaining about Dominica not having enough shopping malls (probably expected another St Thomas) e.t.c.. just enjoy the tropical green - you'll get a good feel from just looking at the landscape even before you get off the ship- similar to St Lucia. Enjoy ;-))

Dominica is a great and beautiful Island. Take a cab and go around the island first then go down town. You really never see the island until you get away from the tourist area. We dive a lot there, so if you can at least snorkel go for it.:)

Hi Carol

we visited Rosseau on the Star Princess last month. Previous advice here is spot on- just be cautious, but don't be frightened to walk around.. We negotiated a private tour within the port itself, no problems at all..Outside the gates there was a gathering of locals haggling for business but nothing very different to other islands we have visited.

Incidentally we loved Dominica- so very green and unspoilt- almost 'primitive' compared to other islands we have seen.. The shopping at the port is very basic- it's in a big warehouse (true port traders?) We heard many fellow passengers complaining about Dominica not having enough shopping malls (probably expected another St Thomas) e.t.c.. just enjoy the tropical green - you'll get a good feel from just looking at the landscape even before you get off the ship- similar to St Lucia. Enjoy ;-))

Four of us are going to Dominica on Sea Princess and would like to see waterfalls & the emerald pool. Have you done that? Is the walking too difficult for us seniors with knee transplants and canes? When you just rode around the island, where all did you go? What is especially worthwhile to see?

Thanks so much for your help. :)

GG

The Canopy tour offered by the ship was awesome. The ride up into the mountains in the small bus was worth the price of the tour for the scenery alone. Fantastic photo op's. Very "Jurassic Park" like. The mountains are actually dormant volcano's.

When you get to the ride, it is set up very nice. Small open air cable cars holding 8 people and a guide in each. Lasts about an hour and a half. On the way out you travel THROUGH the jungle. On the way back the car climbs to a higher level and you are now suspended ABOVE the tree tops ! Approx. 100' feet up. Take your video camera ! The guide points out all the wildlife and explains about all the different trees, flowers and plants.

At the station there are clean washrooms and there is a refreshment stand with cold beer, soft drinks, candy, chips and fruit.

This is suitable for all ages as there is not a lot of walking. This ranked in my top three shore excursions.

If you are afraid of heights, this is NOT for you. At one point the cable car crosses over a gorge with a white water river at the bottom and a couple waterfalls. About 300' down !

You can do this trip on your own, but then you will have to pay a cab driver to take you there, and they will, but I could not tell you how much they normally charge. And if that cab breaks down and you miss the ship......

Anyway, here are some links to their website and you can learn more about it. Dominica (Doh-min-ee-ca) is beautiful ! If you only get off the ship to do a little shopping you will be disappointed.

http://www.rainforestram.com and here is another interesting one http://www.shoretrips.com

Four of us are going to Dominica on Sea Princess and would like to see waterfalls & the emerald pool. Have you done that? Is the walking too difficult for us seniors with knee transplants and canes? When you just rode around the island, where all did you go? What is especially worthwhile to see?

GG

Yes it was a difficult walk to the Emerald pool. Very steep walkways with uneven paths.

GG

The Emerald Pool is a tricky walk and Trafalgar is shorter but even more challenging. Don't do it if you have any mobility issues. Don't expect your guide to dissuade you from taking the tour, just believe me, I've seen too many people on those paths that should NEVER have been there.

We really appreciate your knowledge about the waterfall & the emerald pool, but we're disappointed that it might be too difficult for us to attempt. Maybe we can find a waterfall that's an easier walk. There certainly are a great many of them! We certainly wouldn't want any of us to slip and fall.

Thanks for the info.

GG

Carol we called on a sunday about 6 years ago. It is obviously a bit more touristy now than when we went but then sundays were very very quiet, shut down really! walk round town no problem. There is a small botanical garden a bit run down then but the thing i remember about it was the "cannonball tree" only time I have seen one in all my travels & an old bus painted in rainforest colours.

Hi all - over here doing some research on the Crown and Sun :) thought I would drop in and ad my 2 cents worht about dominica.

I have been there twice now - both off carnival ships. The islands is JUST gorgeous!!! I really loved it!!! Granted I am 30 and active and love nature and hiking etc. so this place is right up my alley.

Int he two stops I have made there I have hit 4 waterfalls - none of which the ship will take you to. I worked with Ken Hinterlands tour company and they put together a tour that was right for us. our 2nd time in port he really set us up with a "killer" tour! what a work out :) But I know he has worked with some of the others I go with to make it more appropriate for their levels.

He has a website - just do google search for it. Can't hurt!

Also - remember that you can be at different docks depending on which ships are in port!

Have fun!

Our family was in Dominica over Christmas on the Celebrity Constellation.

That tour of Dominica was one of the highlights of our cruise.

Here's some tour guides that were recommended:

tavernier_d@hotmail.com, benox265@hotmail.com, *****

We went with Fredos and had a great time. (was reasonably priced)

http://freddy536.tripod.com

My wife's mother (73 yrs old) travelled with us to all the stops. (be sure to bring an umbrella - it is a rain forest - it rains on & off then sunshine)

The paths weren't that bad unless you really have troubles walking.

The island has so much beauty - you would not see it just at port.

My 2 cents.

Graham

Archived