Enough open to spend the day on our own?

*pixie*

We've been to St. Thomas a couple of times before on previous cruises, once doing a snorkeling excursion and once a local food tour.  We have an upcoming stop in January and we were thinking of not booking an actual excursion.  We have four college aged kids traveling with us and they want to just shop, eat, and drink.  Last time, one of our favorite stops was Bones Rum, but it has closed.  Is there enough open that we can spend part of day just meandering around, or would we be better off booking an excursion?

I haven’t checked the latest COVID-19 numbers so cannot comment on what is open or what safety requirements are in place for establishments. You could get details on that from the STT forum on TripAdvisor if you want another source.

But unless another crack down is in place when you arrive I’m sure you will find most places open. Depending on your time in port an excursion is also a great option. By “actual”, did you mean through the ship, or with an independent? Either way your trip is very close so options may be limited…What type of excursion would you be looking at?

Edited by blue_water
Typo

I have excursions in mind with availability if we decide to go that route.  Just trying to make sure it won't be a day of wandering around trying to find something open.  Thanks for the Trip Advisor suggestion, I will check there!

2 hours ago, Cruising to Retirement said:

Sailing on Norwegian Gem on Jan. 19th-  they just cancelled ALL St. Thomas and St. Johns Excursions??  New Covid Restrictions in place there-  

Oh wow, but can't say I'm surprised.  I am highly doubtful we will make any of our ports, and if it wasn't for the substantial additional cruise credit from previously cancelled cruises, I wouldn't even be trying to cruise at this point.  

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 3:21 PM, *pixie* said:

I have excursions in mind with availability if we decide to go that route.  Just trying to make sure it won't be a day of wandering around trying to find something open.  Thanks for the Trip Advisor suggestion, I will check there!

Yes you can just usually get quick feedback on questions about the current Covid situations (or beach conditions) from forums that more residents and land visitors follow. Just a good alternate, although CC is ideal for feedback from another cruiser’s perspective! 😄