The reason Celebrity isn't enforcing the dress codes

usha

As a frequent X'r I have written and will continue to write and voice my opinion. If a cpouple shows up to dinner at our table for eight, I will ask the Maitre'd to move the two...or move us six..its that simple..and has happened.

I can only envision this whole scene going on in the dining room.

We noticed that on Century last week, seems on formal nights about 2/3 of the guests were formal, If that many. Something just didnt seem right, for a moment I thought we had our nights mixed up. On a past Mercury cruise, I noticed a man come in the dining room wearing jeans and a polo shirt and baseball cap, this was also on a formal night.I waited to see if they would seat this couple......and they did. That explaination about comment cards makes sense.

Hey, don't totally knock Windjammer, dress code for the Captain's Dinner is Shirt, Shorts, and Sandals........

And a good time was had by all, by the way!! :)

I don't think anybody's knocking the Windjammer; it's the appropriate place to go for dinner if you don't want to dress up for formal or informal nights. :)

--

Well said, Ma Bell. By the way, I took my own advice and sent an e-mail to Celebrity on this topic/thread. Even if they do not respond to me, I hope that they really do check out these boards. There are some great ideas and comments here.

Here is the basic answer from Celebrity to my e-mail in which I stated my unequivocal desire for the company to maintain and enforce the dress code.

"...Your e-mail has been forwarded to the appropriate management personnel for their review. Additonally, we are currently in the process of determining the best options available for our guests..." :confused: You may read into this anything you like, but it makes me wonder if Celebrity is considering lowering the standard for dressing up...:eek:

Perhaps if enough of us wrote...

Go the the Celebrity website and click on "contact us" . By the way, you are only allowed 1000 characters (not words), so you will want to be very succinct and to the point. LOL My original letter was 2035 characters and what a time I had to cut it down; would have been better to have been ready before hand.

Plain and simple, lack of training.

The staff on the QM2 have no problem telling passengers they need to return in proper attire.

I've been in many resorts, where jackets are required after 6pm. The hotel staff had no problem telling gentlemen.

Training.. training.. training.

My DW and I sat at the captains table one year ago, for our Valentines cruise, and everyone wore tux's. This year, the Captain in his formal wear, and 2 of us were the only ones to wear tux's at the captians table. Times have changed!!

Somehow I cannot seem to get the picture small enought to download on to the board.

Rick

A.) It's ok, they should be able to do what they want.

B.) It's wrong, they should follow the dress code.

I am for X creating a dress code being that there is none right now. I personally don't care which way they go formal or casual to me it is an insignificant part of the cruise but that my opinion.

However, if there was a required dress code I would be all for full enforcement!

Allen

I will buy some of those backs you are peddling, but only if they come with a full warranty.:D :D :D

phil

Phil, I did sell two of them to two guys on some mountain, but they didn't take care of them and broke them. So now I've got two mountain brokebacks on my hands. Sigh.

Allen

Phil' date=' I did sell two of them to two guys on some mountain, but they didn't take care of them and broke them. So now I've got two mountain brokebacks on my hands. Sigh.

Allen[/quote']

LOL, you are sure on top of your game today.:D (whatever that means) but you have my OK to interpret it any way you want to;)

Phil

Ah we have come full circle to my first post on this thread that points out Celebrity's "polite society/old World usage of requested".

Shame on Celebrity for assuming their customer base appreciates and understands what they are oh so politely trying to tell us. <tongue planted firmly in cheek>

WeBe - A plus for the Brokeback tie in - clever and timely. very nice. LOL

I respectfully disagree. You have to be a two year old to not be able to understand what Celebrity wants you to wear. It's very clear to anyone with any sense at all. I find it hard to believe that there are many people who don't understand unless they just don't want to.

I think it is obvious to everyone that an evening gown is formal and jeans are not, but there are degrees in between that are a matter of perception. Since I lived in Manhatten for a significant portion of my adult life, and was reared by parents who made me wear white gloves whenever we went to the city during my childhood to see a Broadway show, my idea of appropriate attire is probably different than someone who lives in different part of the country and grew up on a farm.

my idea of appropriate attire is probably different than someone who lives in different part of the country and grew up on a farm.

I think that's why Celebrity goes to great length to tell what is appropriate wear for formal, informal, and casual nights. It can't get much clearer than what they've described. :)

I don't think it's where you grew up that makes the difference...it's more of what your family acclimated you to. I grew up in the woods of New Hampshire, our nearest neighbors were over a mile away, there was nothing but trees and wildlife. I played in the snow and mud, worked in our family's 1 acre garden, stacked firewood, and climbed trees.

Yet mom always made us dress nicely for church in the warm weather months -- dresses, patent-leather mary janes, my dad and brother in suits. We were never even allowed to think that it would be okay to wear jeans to church. The only exception was in the winter, when we'd wear our ski pants, because we would go skiiing right after mass. And later, when my brother and I were teenagers, one night a week was "dress up night" for family dinner -- my brother had to wear a tie, and I had to put something nice on too. She set the table with china and silver, even if we were just having lasagne. She wanted us to be comfortable with multi-course table settings and dressing up. I'm glad she did this, because I have absolutely no problem with putting on a long skirt or dress and a nice pair of shoes to go for dinner on formal night. In fact, I enjoy it, and I fail to understand the arguments of people who say it's "stuffy" or "uncomfortable." All I can say is that if your clothes are uncomfortable, then you are wearing the wrong style, cut, size, or fabric for yourself.

I don't think it's where you grew up that makes the difference...it's more of what your family acclimated you to. I grew up in the woods of New Hampshire, our nearest neighbors were over a mile away, there was nothing but trees and wildlife. I played in the snow and mud, worked in our family's 1 acre garden, stacked firewood, and climbed trees.

Yet mom always made us dress nicely for church in the warm weather months -- dresses, patent-leather mary janes, my dad and brother in suits. We were never even allowed to think that it would be okay to wear jeans to church. The only exception was in the winter, when we'd wear our ski pants, because we would go skiiing right after mass. And later, when my brother and I were teenagers, one night a week was "dress up night" for family dinner -- my brother had to wear a tie, and I had to put something nice on too. She set the table with china and silver, even if we were just having lasagne. She wanted us to be comfortable with multi-course table settings and dressing up. I'm glad she did this, because I have absolutely no problem with putting on a long skirt or dress and a nice pair of shoes to go for dinner on formal night. In fact, I enjoy it, and I fail to understand the arguments of people who say it's "stuffy" or "uncomfortable." All I can say is that if your clothes are uncomfortable, then you are wearing the wrong style, cut, size, or fabric for yourself.

Hi Leela :)

I agree with you. Living in Manhattan as an adult probably reinforced what my parents emphasized during my childhood, but my parents' influence is probably what made the difference.

Archived