An overview for anyone doing Low Carb (aka KETO) on the Regent lines. (Anyone doing a New Year's resolution?)

An overview for anyone doing Low Carb (aka KETO) on the Regent lines. Currently on the Mariner but other ships seem to be the same if memory serves me right…

A primer for those interested: A low-carb diet is one that limits carbohydrates, primarily found in sugary foods, pasta, and bread. Instead of eating carbs, you focus on protein-rich whole foods and vegetables. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

It was easy to go low carb and keep our card intake to under 100 grams, while at home we would stay under 30 grams. Plenty of meats, fish, bacon, eggs and cheese etc. KETO mainstays. The cauliflower rice on curry nights was divine. And if we were to order a burger, hold the bun, the staff seemed to understand and take it in stride. A few times I forgot to say “NO FRIES”. My bad. So overall the wife and I were happy. If anyone from the Regent restaurant side reads this, some minor suggestions. The breakfasts could have some hard-boiled eggs, some frittatas/ quiche egg items, and some spicy Italian sausage options. And have some more avocado available as that’s considered a super food. For lunch /dinner it would be nice to have one desert made with Stevia or other sugar substitute and then identified as low carb on the menu or placard. 

The bars seemed to have plenty of peanuts and olives, but we drank way too much, so we were bad in that aspect.

For the most part on this cruise my wife and I didn’t obsess over hidden sugars in BBQ sauce or salad dressing. At home we avoid seed oils and cook with olive or avocado oil, but for the cruise, we didn’t care.

• Like 2

I had no trouble getting hard boiled eggs from room service or Compass Rose.  They always have a sugar free ice cream for dessert, which I think would be low carb.  Having recently been on the Splendor and, hopefully, will embark the Mariner next week, I found the best way to control weight gain is portion control.  The Regent wait staff was wonderful about bringing me a small or half portion of whatever I wanted.  That combined with minimizing bread should do the trick.

• Like 1