Rome Morning

cleobella

We are going to be in Rome for just 24 hours prior to boarding our ship.  We have been previously.  The day we arrive, we should be at our Central Rome hotel around 1pm and plan to spend the rest of the day just taking a walk past Trevi Fountain and maybe visiting the Pantheon, soaking up the culture of Piazza Navona, and then having a casual dinner.  The next day we will be leaving for port around 1pm and would like to do something fun but not too time consuming in the morning before we leave.   I am thinking about a private pre-opening visit to the Vatican to revisit some areas we missed last time but DH does not want to do this.  Any good ideas for ways to pass a few hours in the morning?  Maybe the Borghese Gallery?  Is a catacomb tour realistic with just a few hours in the morning?  Shopping areas?Any other ideas would be great!  We are open to anything, but not something too crowded maybe.

In addition to the Borghese Gallery, some ideas easily done in a morning:

Baths of Caracalla (uncrowded):  Baths of Caracalla - Wikipedia

Capitoline Museums (some of the best sculpture and items from ancient Rome)

Museum of the Imperial Forums (uncrowded and a chance to walk around Trajan's forum):  Mercati di Traiano Museo dei Fori Imperiali | Rome, Italy Attractions - Lonely Planet

Palazzo Altemps (charming museum of mostly ancient Roman sculpture tucked into a lovely palazzo just north of Piazza Navona)

Edited to add:  Depending on when you're planning to go, I'd check the hours and requirements for any of these that interest you. COVID requirements have led to shortened hours at some sites and the need to pre-reserve a spot at others. You may also need to show your vaccination card or Green Pass, whichever you have.

Edited by cruisemom42

7 minutes ago, cleobella said:

Wonderful, thank you CruiseMom, will check these out.  Do you have an opinion on the Catacombe Di Princilla?  Is this close to the Borghese Gallery?

If you mean Priscilla, they are not especially close to the Borghese Gallery; it would be about a 30 minute walk on foot, maybe 8-10 minutes by taxi.

I haven't been there in quite a few years but I think that the catacombs there compare well with those on the Appian Way -- I just tend to visit those more often because there are other things nearby that interest me.

Yes, I meant Priscilla, thanks for the correction. I’m getting the impression that it might be too much to do the catacombs and the gallery in one morning. Plan to check out the other suggestions as well. Thanks for your input, you always have great advice!