PCR Testing Machine "Broken" on NCL Encore

goldie099

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this. My parents are currently on the Jan. 9 NCL Encore sailing and were told by staff on NCL that the PCR machine onboard is "broken" and for those requiring tests, they need to be off by 7am for testing in the terminal. Has anyone experienced this on a prior sailing? Can anyone shed any light on this? The crew onboard didn't have any information other than what I typed out. Thank you in advance!

I haven't heard anything along these lines. You might want to pose the same question on the NCL board. Testing in the terminal, on the other hand, is an increasingly common practise, and I wonder if there wasn't a communications problem.

15 hours ago, goldie099 said:

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this. My parents are currently on the Jan. 9 NCL Encore sailing and were told by staff on NCL that the PCR machine onboard is "broken" and for those requiring tests, they need to be off by 7am for testing in the terminal. Has anyone experienced this on a prior sailing? Can anyone shed any light on this? The crew onboard didn't have any information other than what I typed out. Thank you in advance!

From NCL's website. Recently updated with specific costs which are higher than the initial $95 (USD) they provided.

PCR Tests

Effective for all disembarkations beginning January 8, 2022, PCR tests will only be available onboard to confirm a positive antigen test, or to test a symptomatic patient. Those guests requiring a PCR test to return home will be responsible for expense and must obtain the test shoreside after the disembarkation either at a company designated facility, at the airport prior to flying out, or at a nearby clinic of their choice. At all US disembarkation ports, Norwegian Cruise Line has engaged a vendor to administer PCR testing at the terminal for those guests requiring a PCR test to return home. If guests choose this service, the guests will proceed to a designated area in the terminal for their PCR test at the guests' expense which varies by port, then proceed with their travel plans as they await their test results which will be sent electronically approximately 90 minutes after the test.

Estimated PCR test costs by port are as follows:

• All current US departure ports (except those listed below) - $125 per person
  • New Orleans - $180 per person
  • New York - $250 per person

1 hour ago, adhncruisers said:

From NCL's website. Recently updated with specific costs which are higher than the initial $95 (USD) they provided.

PCR Tests

Effective for all disembarkations beginning January 8, 2022, PCR tests will only be available onboard to confirm a positive antigen test, or to test a symptomatic patient. Those guests requiring a PCR test to return home will be responsible for expense and must obtain the test shoreside after the disembarkation either at a company designated facility, at the airport prior to flying out, or at a nearby clinic of their choice. At all US disembarkation ports, Norwegian Cruise Line has engaged a vendor to administer PCR testing at the terminal for those guests requiring a PCR test to return home. If guests choose this service, the guests will proceed to a designated area in the terminal for their PCR test at the guests' expense which varies by port, then proceed with their travel plans as they await their test results which will be sent electronically approximately 90 minutes after the test.

Estimated PCR test costs by port are as follows:

• All current US departure ports (except those listed below) - $125 per person
  • New Orleans - $180 per person
  • New York - $250 per person

Remind me never to cruise with NCL out of New York!

• Like 1

From Princess website sailing from USA:-

If my home country requires proof of a negative COVID-19 test result for re-entry following my cruise, will Princess administer and cover the cost of the test?

Yes, if a negative COVID-19 test is required for re-entry into your home country, Princess will cover the costs of a COVID-19 test administered within the timeframe required prior to travel.

Guests should disembark the ship, collect their luggage, clear customs and exit the terminal for testing. COVID-19 tests will be administered just outside the terminal. Antigen test results will be available in approximately 30 minutes and PCR test results will be available in approximately 60 minutes; please plan your post-cruise travel arrangements accordingly.

I read a post either here or on reddit of a couple who sailed out of NY area, drove back to Canada in the Maritimes and the border agent hassled them as their covid test was done "On the Ship" so NOT "IN" the USA.    Border guard told them test to cross into Canada must be done IN USA and on ship doesn't count.  
They said he finally let them go and commented that there were quite a few people at the same border crossing with on ship tests.  

Perhaps all this moving of testing to the pier may have a bit to do with this issue?      

(I personally think it has more to do with the workload for crew and issues of doing the travel tests onboard with limited resources needed to test crew and pax and they may not have enough materials to also test all the travellers. )

2 minutes ago, CruisinFinsUp said:

I read a post either here or on reddit of a couple who sailed out of NY area, drove back to Canada in the Maritimes and the border agent hassled them as their covid test was done "On the Ship" so NOT "IN" the USA.    Border guard told them test to cross into Canada must be done IN USA and on ship doesn't count.  
They said he finally let them go and commented that there were quite a few people at the same border crossing with on ship tests.  

Perhaps all this moving of testing to the pier may have a bit to do with this issue?      

(I personally think it has more to do with the workload for crew and issues of doing the travel tests onboard with limited resources needed to test crew and pax and they may not have enough materials to also test all the travellers. )

You read that post here, but there have been many other posts from people who were tested aboard and experienced no similar issue with CBSA. It sound very much like the CBSA official in question simply didn't understand the rules. I really don't think that Celebrity or any of the other lines changed the testing location to facilitate re-entry to Canada.

I think that it's simply part of Celebrity walking away from testing. At first it was free testing aboard, then it shifted to free testing aboard for those who booked before November 16, then shifted off the ship. Soon it will be everyone pays, off the ship, leading very probably to no Celebrity testing and passengers having to find a testing facility on their own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

You read that post here, but there have been many other posts from people who were tested aboard and experienced no similar issue with CBSA. It sound very much like the CBSA official in question simply didn't understand the rules. I really don't think that Celebrity or any of the other lines changed the testing location to facilitate re-entry to Canada.

I think that it's simply part of Celebrity walking away from testing. At first it was free testing aboard, then it shifted to free testing aboard for those who booked before November 16, then shifted off the ship. Soon it will be everyone pays, off the ship, leading very probably to no Celebrity testing and passengers having to find a testing facility on their own.

If I remember correctly the confusion comes from the fact that if you are flying into Canada the PCR test can happen in any country but if you are driving into Canada the test had to be done in the U.S.

I can't find that on the government website right now but I know they keep updating things.

The rules have changed so much I'm getting confused.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, K_e_short said:

If I remember correctly the confusion comes from the fact that if you are flying into Canada the PCR test can happen in any country but if you are driving into Canada the test had to be done in the U.S.

I can't find that on the government website right now but I know they keep updating things.

The rules have changed so much I'm getting confused.

Like you, I can't find anything on the website saying that if you are driving, you must only be tested in the US. At the time, I questioned whether this was because they simply couldn't envision someone having been tested in a third country before entering the US and then driving into Canada. I suspect what they meant was you must test in the US as opposed to testing back in Canada upon your arrival.

In any event, I guess it's rather a moot point now with all of the cruise lines having their test after disembarkation.

• Like 1