Ice Cream!

Caramel1398

Hi again!

I have a question about the ice cream they offer onboard. Are the flavors usually pretty generic, or do they have anything out of the ordinary? I figure that at the Scoops bar they'll have basics since I've heard its Haagen-Daaz, but what about the others?

Thanks!

Caramel1398

Hi again!

I have a question about the ice cream they offer onboard. Are the flavors usually pretty generic, or do they have anything out of the ordinary? I figure that at the Scoops bar they'll have basics since I've heard its Haagen-Daaz, but what about the others? Thanks!

Caramel1398

You will find delicious homemade ice cream every day in the dining room at lunch and dinner - numerous interesting flavors from tutti frutti, rum raisin, tropical mango among others - as well as your regular chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. Also Horizon Court on most ships have free make your own ice cream sundaes between 3:30 and 4pm.

I like the onboard-made ice cream better than the Haagen-Daaz as well. Every night I usually get a sorbet and an ice cream. My favorite flavors are lime sorbet, orange sorbet, melon sorbet, strawberry ice cream, amaretto ice cream and the Hazelnut ice cream is amazing!

I've had cinnamon, blueberry, pumpkin, mint, rum raisin, zabaglione and about at least a dozen other non-standard flavors of ice cream on Princess. I'm not a big ice cream fan, but theirs is really good and often very inventive.

The maitre'd told me that the chefs invent flavors with whatever ingredients they have on board. There will be one or two choices on each lunch and dinner menu, but there may be others at the buffet that you won't always be able to predict. Just go at around 4 and check it out -- you'll like it!

The Ice Cream shop that is usually near the the grill and pizza place has a small selection of hand scooped and soft serve. This ice cream is extra cost, and will be added to your bill. I had the soft serve a couple of times, because it was cheaper than the hand scooped, it was so - so. Probably better to go to the buffet and get it for free.

I have an Autistic son who is casein-free (non-dairy). Does anyone know if there is non-dairy ice or sorbet available anywhere on the CB?

Hi,

As AngryKing mentioned sorbet is available in the dining room.

My favorite flavors are lime sorbet, orange sorbet, melon sorbet,

Mention any special dietary restrictions to the Head Waiter or Maitre'd - and they'll check out everything for you and make suggestions.

I have an Autistic son who is casein-free (non-dairy). Does anyone know if there is non-dairy ice or sorbet available anywhere on the CB?

I don't remember now if there was sugar-free ice cream each day however there are sugar free desserts so if he can't get ice cream he will at least be able to get some form of dessert.

As for Haggen Daaz, I did not purchase ice cream from Scoops on this past cruise last week however when I walked past I noticed the signs had changed and I didn't notice Haggen Daaz mentioned anywhere, either I overlooked it or else they are now using their own ice cream in Scoops. Does anyone know for sure?

Hi,

As AngryKing mentioned sorbet is available in the dining room.

I saw that - unfortunately, sorbet isn't always free of casein (hence my question).

Mention any special dietary restrictions to the Head Waiter or Maitre'd - and they'll check out everything for you and make suggestions.

I might do that. Thanks for the information!

I saw that - unfortunately, sorbet isn't always free of casein (hence my question).

I might do that. Thanks for the information!

I would contact Princess prior to sailing. They will be able to advice you on who to talk to once on the ship as well as mark the account with the proper restrictions. This will give the waiter/Maitre'd a heads up.

You can also write your special needs or requests directly to Princess (see below) I would write a letter and include booking and PAX numbers with the special needs and fax it to Princess. A follow up phone call couldn't hurt either.

*Requires written request. Please send immediate fax to (661) 284-4770:

Onboard Sevices Dietary

You can also write your special needs or requests directly to Princess (see below) I would write a letter and include booking and PAX numbers with the special needs and fax it to Princess. A follow up phone call couldn't hurt either.

*Requires written request. Please send immediate fax to (661) 284-4770:

Onboard Sevices Dietary

I saw that in the my Cruise Personalizer... I might do it but we've been dealing with his dietary issues for 3+ years and, for the most part, don't like being a burden at restaurants, friends' homes etc... We know what he can/can't have and just try to work with what's available.

I saw that in the my Cruise Personalizer... I might do it but we've been dealing with his dietary issues for 3+ years and, for the most part, don't like being a burden at restaurants, friends' homes etc... We know what he can/can't have and just try to work with what's available.

This is your vacation and his. I would contact Princess so if they need to bring something on before sailing then all the better. I can understand not wanting to be a burden at home or local restaurants but these cruise lines pride themselves in meeting your special needs.

I hope you all have a great cruise and vacation!!!

I'm lactose intolerant. I was fine. The sorbets were yummy! Well, except for that black cherry one. Occassionally, I popped a ton of Lactaid pills and tried the regular ice cream and they were great too. That mint chocolate one was my favorite. I normally don't like aftertaste, but that one had an incredible effect.

A sorbet wouldn't have any milk proteins in it, casein or otherwise, because sorbet has no milk. If you've run across a sorbet made with milk, someone is mistakenly calling a sherbet "sorbet."

I have had many Princess sorbet, and to the best of my taste buds, they did not contain milk. They taste just like they should - fruit pulp and juice. YUMMY!

I'm lactose intolerant. I was fine. The sorbets were yummy! Well, except for that black cherry one. Occassionally, I popped a ton of Lactaid pills and tried the regular ice cream and they were great too. That mint chocolate one was my favorite. I normally don't like aftertaste, but that one had an incredible effect.

Mine too, if only we could take some home. :D

A sorbet wouldn't have any milk proteins in it, casein or otherwise, because sorbet has no milk. If you've run across a sorbet made with milk, someone is mistakenly calling a sherbet "sorbet."

I have had many Princess sorbet, and to the best of my taste buds, they did not contain milk. They taste just like they should - fruit pulp and juice. YUMMY!

A sorbet shouldn't have any milk proteins in it - that is correct. Unfortunately, I've come to learn that it can often be hidden. I read labels for everything. We avoid "hydrolysates", "lactalbumin", "lactoglobulin", "whey" and "lactose" (all of which can contain casein or caseinates).

I'm happy to hear that the Princess sorbet is indeed casein-free - my 6 year old will be as well!

Archived