Peace of Mind cancellation - How close to sailing date?

smokeymtn51

48 minutes ago, smokeymtn51 said:

We are thinking of using the POM to cancel our cruise leaving on Jan 19th. Does anyone know how if NCL requires you to cancel a certain number of days prior to sailing?  Kind of waiting to see if NCL cancels the cruise.

Thanks

I was told to cancel our cruise sailing on the 19th no later than Monday the 17th.  

38 minutes ago, Beer Belly said:

You can cancel up to 48 hours prior for 100% FCC ?????

That’s what I was told BUT I can’t be sure if the person knew what they were talking about!  Every time you call you could get a different answer.  Thankfully ours was canceled on last Tuesday.  So I am getting a refund instead of FCC.  Maybe call and ask for a supervisor? 

38 minutes ago, smokeymtn51 said:

Just got off the phone with NCL reservations and they said 3 days before sailing they get locked out and can't make changes. I guess we will decide later today.

This probably makes sense since you need to complete online check in 3 days in advance.

I had the same question because I’d gotten lip service before about the 72 hour window. I have a snapshot of an ncl chat where she says “there is no timeframe.” That being said, I was prepared to cancel 72 hours out but fortunately they canceled the cruise. 

And don't we know NCL will play "Cancel Games" based on these nebulous. shifting company communications.... with varied replies from varied sources (PCC, website, customer service, etc).  They're playing the Waiting Game as much as any of us>> the more doubt/anxiety they can engender in their customers, the more $$$ they will hold on to. 

Cancel the cruise closer to sail date = fewer pax receiving refund$$$ = more pax gettingFCC.

Don't trust anything that isn't written/printed. Retain documentation... you may need it.

I HATE feeling this cynical, but they're communication is woeful.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, leithbones said:

And don't we know NCL will play "Cancel Games" based on these nebulous. shifting company communications.... with varied replies from varied sources (PCC, website, customer service, etc).  They're playing the Waiting Game as much as any of us>> the more doubt/anxiety they can engender in their customers, the more $$$ they will hold on to. 

Cancel the cruise closer to sail date = fewer pax receiving refund$$$ = more pax gettingFCC.

Don't trust anything that isn't written/printed. Retain documentation... you may need it.

Their communication IS woeful, but it seems to me more likely that they are overwhelmed and just trying to do their best, though unfortunately, not succeeding all that well.  If they cancel the cruise and you cancelled within 60 days of the cruise date, you can still get a refund, though I think you have to request it.

https://www.ncl.com/refund-and-cancellation-policy-covid-19 

17 hours ago, leithbones said:

But you are absolutely right not to trust anything that isn't written.  Lately when I've had questions I haven't been able to answer any other way, I've gotten on a chat online and asked where a policy is laid out on their webpage.  They've given me a link.  If it's important I save the webpage to PDF on my computer.  The policy I linked above is saved for sure..

On 1/14/2022 at 8:00 PM, smokeymtn51 said:

We are thinking of using the POM to cancel our cruise leaving on Jan 19th. Does anyone know how if NCL requires you to cancel a certain number of days prior to sailing?  Kind of waiting to see if NCL cancels the cruise.

Thanks

Not sure if this is helpful, but I cancelled our January 3rd cruise on the Pearl (yes, the one that went for two days then returned) on December 31st with no issues. POM was reinstated the day before. We received 100% FCC on the 12th, which we promptly rebooked for two cruises- one sooner, one later.

from https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/book-with-confidence

Enjoy our Flexible Cancellation Policy

For new and existing bookings made by January 31, 2022, for any voyage with an embarkation date through and including May 31, 2022, guests are free to cancel up to and including January 31, 2022 and get a full refund in the form of a Future Cruise Credit to be used for sailings that embark through December 31, 2022. Additionally, for all cruises departing through April 30, 2022, cancel up to 61 days prior for a full refund.