Just off Odyssey - Great Tour of Roatan with Victor Bodden Tours

drdestructo

My wife, father and I just sailed on the Odyssey January 9th through 15th.  One of our ports of call was in Roatan.  My dad uses a cane and my wife is scheduled to have both of her knees replaced this year, so they travel with scooters.  I had prearranged a "Best of Roatan" Tour for the three of us.  I had requested a slower paced tour due to the limited mobility issue. We did want to include Victor's Sloth and Monkey Sanctuary on our tour.

I received a detailed and professional email that outlined the cost ($30 per person, plus $10 per person for admission to the Sloth and Monkey Sanctuary.)  My wife and father drove their mobility scooters off the ship and we made our way to the Victor Bodden Kiosk.  Ronald from the Bodden Tour operations team had us leave the scooters at the kiosk so they would be kept dry from any rain that was scheduled that day.  It was just a few short steps to our air conditioned van where we met our Guide for the day, Rupert.  I was impressed with the care and detail Rupert took all day to ensure my family got in and out of the vehicle all day.  He confirmed that we wanted to do an island tour and learn about the history and culture of Roatan, we wanted to visit the Sloth and Monkey Sanctuary, visit the Cameo Castle, eat lunch on the island and visit a local grocery store to purchase vanilla and Honduran coffee.

Our first stop was at the Sanctuary.  On the way there, Rupert This is where you pay for the tour.  Rupert handed us off to Brandon,  a guide in the sanctuary. Brandon was very knowledgeable, and passionate about the tour. He also took care to secure my dad a wheelchair once he noticed that he was walking with a cane. We made our way around the sanctuary learning about the monkeys, birds and sloths up close.  It was a great experience to hold the sloths.  After the informative and fun stop at the sanctuary, we made our way back to the van and our next stop was at the Chocolate Factory.  This was another nice stop where we saw the chocolate making in progress and had a few free samples!

Rupert the drove us to Coxen Bay and pointed out the shops and restaurants and cultural highlights along the way.  Next we stopped at the Cameo Castle Factory Institute,  where pendants and other jewelry are carved from conch shells.  Lots of beautiful pieces for sale.  My only regret this day was that nobody was carving while we visited to see the artistry up close.

Rupert asked us what we wanted to do next , and since it was Noon I suggested lunch.  I asked Rupert to take us somewhere the locals enjoy.  He took us to a place called Paradise Restaurant.  I asked Rupert to join us for lunch where we learned a bit more about him and his family,  The food was fantastic!  My wife and Rupert had the fried fish, my dad had the fried shrimp and i had the fried chicken.  We sampled the banana and grape sodas that are popular in Roatan.

TASTY!!!

After lunch we drove to one of the higher points of the island where we could see the Odyssey and take photos, there were some local vendors there, but Rupert told us the prices for the items we wanted would be better at our next stop.  He then drove us to a local grocery store.  The building was newer and laid out nicely. Rupert accompanied us in the store and showed us where to find the Vanilla and 2 bags of Honduran Coffee (he suggested the brand).  We checked out and the nice surprise was the total came out to $9.63 for our three items.  The change came back in Honduran currency which my wife viewed as another souvenir.

From there we headed back to the ship. Rupert called Ronald back at the port before we arrived and they had the scooters right where we were dropped off for easy travel back to the ship.

I would highly recommend Rupert and Victor Bodden Tours if you plan to visit Roatan.  We felt safe and comfortable the entire visit, and I would not hesitate to use them again.

• Like 3

On 1/19/2022 at 5:11 PM, drdestructo said:

My wife, father and I just sailed on the Odyssey January 9th through 15th.  One of our ports of call was in Roatan.  My dad uses a cane and my wife is scheduled to have both of her knees replaced this year, so they travel with scooters.  I had prearranged a "Best of Roatan" Tour for the three of us.  I had requested a slower paced tour due to the limited mobility issue. We did want to include Victor's Sloth and Monkey Sanctuary on our tour.

I received a detailed and professional email that outlined the cost ($30 per person, plus $10 per person for admission to the Sloth and Monkey Sanctuary.)  My wife and father drove their mobility scooters off the ship and we made our way to the Victor Bodden Kiosk.  Ronald from the Bodden Tour operations team had us leave the scooters at the kiosk so they would be kept dry from any rain that was scheduled that day.  It was just a few short steps to our air conditioned van where we met our Guide for the day, Rupert.  I was impressed with the care and detail Rupert took all day to ensure my family got in and out of the vehicle all day.  He confirmed that we wanted to do an island tour and learn about the history and culture of Roatan, we wanted to visit the Sloth and Monkey Sanctuary, visit the Cameo Castle, eat lunch on the island and visit a local grocery store to purchase vanilla and Honduran coffee.

Our first stop was at the Sanctuary.  On the way there, Rupert This is where you pay for the tour.  Rupert handed us off to Brandon,  a guide in the sanctuary. Brandon was very knowledgeable, and passionate about the tour. He also took care to secure my dad a wheelchair once he noticed that he was walking with a cane. We made our way around the sanctuary learning about the monkeys, birds and sloths up close.  It was a great experience to hold the sloths.  After the informative and fun stop at the sanctuary, we made our way back to the van and our next stop was at the Chocolate Factory.  This was another nice stop where we saw the chocolate making in progress and had a few free samples!

Rupert the drove us to Coxen Bay and pointed out the shops and restaurants and cultural highlights along the way.  Next we stopped at the Cameo Castle Factory Institute,  where pendants and other jewelry are carved from conch shells.  Lots of beautiful pieces for sale.  My only regret this day was that nobody was carving while we visited to see the artistry up close.

Rupert asked us what we wanted to do next , and since it was Noon I suggested lunch.  I asked Rupert to take us somewhere the locals enjoy.  He took us to a place called Paradise Restaurant.  I asked Rupert to join us for lunch where we learned a bit more about him and his family,  The food was fantastic!  My wife and Rupert had the fried fish, my dad had the fried shrimp and i had the fried chicken.  We sampled the banana and grape sodas that are popular in Roatan.

TASTY!!!

After lunch we drove to one of the higher points of the island where we could see the Odyssey and take photos, there were some local vendors there, but Rupert told us the prices for the items we wanted would be better at our next stop.  He then drove us to a local grocery store.  The building was newer and laid out nicely. Rupert accompanied us in the store and showed us where to find the Vanilla and 2 bags of Honduran Coffee (he suggested the brand).  We checked out and the nice surprise was the total came out to $9.63 for our three items.  The change came back in Honduran currency which my wife viewed as another souvenir.

From there we headed back to the ship. Rupert called Ronald back at the port before we arrived and they had the scooters right where we were dropped off for easy travel back to the ship.

I would highly recommend Rupert and Victor Bodden Tours if you plan to visit Roatan.  We felt safe and comfortable the entire visit, and I would not hesitate to use them again.

So glad to hear Victor Bodden is still around and providing great tours. We used them in 2013 and they were wonderful. Honduras is my favorite place on the western itinerary; friendliest people and lovely beaches. 

On 1/19/2022 at 5:11 PM, drdestructo said:

TASTY!!!

How far was the pick up point for Victor ?