Testing positive through PCR test after recovery from covid

basenji56

On 5/8/2022 at 12:26 PM, Symmes99 said:

Thank you longterm. Good advice. We’ll scope out a pharmacy near our hotel and do an Antigen test our last afternoon in Rome 

And you may want to check for a pharmacy early in your visit to Rome, as some require testing appointments.  We just returned from two weeks in Italy and got tested at a neighborhood pharmacy in Florence.  The rapid tests cost €22 per person.  Very easy.

• 2 weeks later...

We’re scheduled for a cruise in 3 weeks. We’re planning to take a PCR test about 12 days out.  We don’t think we’ve had COVID but if we test positive we can call our doctor, do the quarantine and then get a doctor’s recovery letter good for 90 days. We thought that would be better than getting a negative antigen test just before boarding and then finding that we had been infected and asymptomatic but showing positive on Viking’s PCR test. 

• Like 1

Last Friday I spoke to an Australian in the ship laundry room who had Covid in March.  She still had a lingering cough and carried a recovery letter from her doctor in the event of a positive finding.  She had been on the boat at that point almost one week and was at the start of her five week holiday.

I can only imagine her stress in March with a pending five week holiday less than sixty days out

50 minutes ago, PasadenaDave said:

Last Friday I spoke to an Australian in the ship laundry room who had Covid in March.  She still had a lingering cough and carried a recovery letter from her doctor in the event of a positive finding.  She had been on the boat at that point almost one week and was at the start of her five week holiday.

I can only imagine her stress in March with a pending five week holiday less than sixty days out

Recovering from Covid within Viking’s 90-day window would feel like winning a lottery. I missed it by a month.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

Recovering from Covid within Viking’s 90-day window would feel like winning a lottery. I missed it by a month.

I think (additional) immunity derived from prior infection is underrated - both DW and I had Covid back in October 2021 and still test high for antibodies, so we haven't had the mis(?)fortune to pick it up in our 90-day window, despite being exposed on 4 different occasions: we tested negative every time. I'm beginning to suspect that most positive cases on the cruises are first time infections/positives and/or false positives.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SailorPaulH said:

I think (additional) immunity derived from prior infection is underrated - both DW and I had Covid back in October 2021 and still test high for antibodies, so we haven't had the mis(?)fortune to pick it up in our 90-day window, despite being exposed on 4 different occasions: we tested negative every time. I'm beginning to suspect that most positive cases on the cruises are first time infections/positives and/or false positives.

Where have you gotten tested for antibodies? That’s something we might want to look into before getting a second booster.

2 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

Where have you gotten tested for antibodies? That’s something we might want to look into before getting a second booster.

My cardiologist ordered it as a prescription as part of my routine bloodwork - he is very much a dot the "i" and cross the "t" doc. The wife got it done as she works in a health setting and they did a screening of employees on a volunteer basis. I don't think antibodies testing is routine - you might be able to get it as a paid service test.

• Like 1

Mu husband contracted Covid about a month ago.  Fortunately, he had just had his 2nd booster and with pills, recovered quickly.  Per Viking, he will need copies of his Covid tests and a letter from his Doctor that he has recovered from Covid and is fit to travel.  He could be testing "positive" for a while, but this trail of paperwork will keep him from a quarantine situation.