Compass Rose Dining

Huggsy

So----

Yet again, the wandering Thread.  Pleeeeeeze!  No more on tipping. 

If one wants to wander far afield, and in another hopeless direction, how about going back to the equally infuriating, and bear-baiting topic dredged-up when all else fails:  Regent's Dress Code "Policy" and what constitutes "Jeans" as acceptable attire for gents at Compass Rose at dinner.    

Eschewing that--Back to the gist of this Thread. My dear spouse has a severe hearing issue which has only been partially ameliorated by various internal and external devices.  This situation is known to Regent.  So, on the first Compass Rose dinner dining night (no reservation can be secured for a specific table-for-two--so don't even go there, again) we showed up around 6:30pm.  A "request" was made to the Maitre 'd as to a side table for two.  Response: as is the accustomed reply from Regent:  "Of course."   And, of course, our immediate Servers were aware of my wife's situation.  This aspect was appreciated.  

We made it a point to advise Staff when we would be at an alternative restaurant for dinner; or dining with an Officer and/or friends at another table.  Thereafter--we showed up "on time"; we were seated on the same side, usually at one of three relatively-quiet tables for two.  No problem for anyone. 

A similar request was made when seated either at Sette Mare' (we made a point to arrive a few minutes before 6:30pm; and at the other specialty restaurants. The "word" had already been passed to those respective Maitre 'ds. 

Finally--finally:  No money ever exchanged hands, anywhere.  O.K.  I just-violated my own plea.  

GOARMY!

• Like 3

As to CR tables, we have cruised Regent more times than I can count — since it was Radisson. We don’t have location requirements in the CR but we do greatly prefer a table for only two. Our preference is strengthened by the desire for distancing due to the current health problems.We have been on full cruises and on cruises that were not full, and we have never had a problem with immediately finding a table for two. That is because (I think) that Regent has not “cheaped out” on MDR sizing and staff so as to really accommodate open time and seating dining. This is one reason we like Regent. 

As to tipping onboard, this has been discussed here more times than I can count, too. The basic rule of consensus from a decade or so ago is that guests do not tip crew for doing their jobs — however we’ll they do it. But if you ask a crew member to do something beyond the scope of their job, it is fine or offer a tip — but it will usually not be accepted. Once we asked our stewardess to get us some headache medicine for my wife, which she did. We paid the charge fir the medicine, and I ordered a $15 tip, which was refused.

Edited by Dolebludger

11 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

My cruise was in 2019.  IMO Regent should set up and advertise a fund to add extra compensation to the employees and equally distribute it.   Maybe they could also make it so people could donate their OBC.  I would donate generously to a fund of this nature. 

Arbitrarily handing out cash to employees is a very slippery slope and someone being opposed to it shouldn't be misconstrued as the person not having compassion.

I'm against tipping on principle even though I participate in it. 

Just make it policy to not accept tips and increase the cost of cruising slightly if Regent can't afford to pay their employees properly. 

• Like 1