Juneau Helicopter Glacier Landing - time on ice?

jchowze

Hi all!  I am looking at excursions in Juneau that land on a glacier/icefield and have time to walk on the ice.  The biggest difference in tours I've found is the amount of time on the ice.  15 minutes doesn't seem like enough but 2 hours seems like far more than I will need!  Anyone have any perspectives?  Will I wish I had more time if I'm only out there for 25 minutes?  Is an hour too long? (fwiw, I'm on Princess in June 2022, first time cruising, first time to Alaska, regular hiker/camper)  Thanks for any thoughts you can share!

Edited by jchowze
More info

4 hours ago, jchowze said:

Hi all!  I am looking at excursions in Juneau that land on a glacier/icefield and have time to walk on the ice.  The biggest difference in tours I've found is the amount of time on the ice.  15 minutes doesn't seem like enough but 2 hours seems like far more than I will need!  Anyone have any perspectives?  Will I wish I had more time if I'm only out there for 25 minutes?  Is an hour too long? (fwiw, I'm on Princess in June 2022, first time cruising, first time to Alaska, regular hiker/camper)  Thanks for any thoughts you can share!

My time on the Mendenhall Glacier was about 45 minutes.  Those on the trek version had about two hours.

Note that the helicopter drops you off and departs for another group of passengers.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/mendenhall-glacier-walk/P7070063.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/mendenhall-glacier-walk/P7070067.jpg