Cruise disembarking in a different port to the itinerary

I was on an NCL cruise when the global pandemic was declared. Various countries would not allow the ship to visit, including Tahiti where the cruise should have ended. Eventually we were allowed to disembark in Hawaii. As a result all my post cruise plans that included hotel stays onward flights to San Francisco and eventual flights back to the UK were rendered unusable. From the cruise ship it was virtually impossible to cancel anything.

As a result, with my worldwide travel insurance policy including cruise cover in place, I made a claim for the post cruise expenses. I was surprised that this was declined because my travel insurance didn't cover the cruise terminating in a different port. As this is such a rare event in cruising  I fully expected cruise cover to include this.

Having since told various other cruisers about this they all thought, as I did, that this would be included.

My insurance was not taken out with your company by the way. My question is this

Do most travel insurance policies with cruise cover not cover the passenger if their cruise terminates in a different port/country or was I just unlucky that I chose the wrong company?

Thank you

5 minutes ago, BarFinder said:

I was on an NCL cruise when the global pandemic was declared. Various countries would not allow the ship to visit, including Tahiti where the cruise should have ended. Eventually we were allowed to disembark in Hawaii. As a result all my post cruise plans that included hotel stays onward flights to San Francisco and eventual flights back to the UK were rendered unusable. From the cruise ship it was virtually impossible to cancel anything.

As a result, with my worldwide travel insurance policy including cruise cover in place, I made a claim for the post cruise expenses. I was surprised that this was declined because my travel insurance didn't cover the cruise terminating in a different port. As this is such a rare event in cruising  I fully expected cruise cover to include this.

Having since told various other cruisers about this they all thought, as I did, that this would be included.

My insurance was not taken out with your company by the way. My question is this

Do most travel insurance policies with cruise cover not cover the passenger if their cruise terminates in a different port/country or was I just unlucky that I chose the wrong company?

Thank you

Hi BarFinder,

I'm sorry to hear about your denials. I'm not qualified to give advice about non-USA based plans.

Steve Dasseos

Steve:

Lets change this to a domestic situation.  We are booked for a New Orleans to St. Paul river cruise with flights out of Minneapolis to SFO.  If the cruise terminates in St. Louis because of low water conditions and we have additional costs due to rescheduling flight, extra nights of hotel and meals before we can get a flight home, does "trip interruption" cover those?  What documentation is required to file a claim? 

6 hours ago, SpockSail said:

Steve:

Lets change this to a domestic situation.  We are booked for a New Orleans to St. Paul river cruise with flights out of Minneapolis to SFO.  If the cruise terminates in St. Louis because of low water conditions and we have additional costs due to rescheduling flight, extra nights of hotel and meals before we can get a flight home, does "trip interruption" cover those?  What documentation is required to file a claim? 

Hi SpockSail,

No, trip interruption does not cover this.

A common exclusion is:

Failure of any tour operator, Common Carrier, person or agency to provide the bargained-for travel arrangements – This means that if the travel supplier changes the itinerary, but still gives you a similar trip, there’s not a valid claim with a Travel Insurance plan (all plans have this exclusion).

It's the travel supplier's responsibility to make it up to you.

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1