Weather and Seas on cruises to Hawaii in late January or early February

tgetz

We have sailed from San Francisco to Hawaii in January/February several times. It is always cool the first couple of days there and back again. The seas were fairly calm except once in January. We had very high seas and wind. We made all our ports. However ships sailing from Southern California had a more difficult time and missed two ports. Every cruise is different. 

Thank you. Definitely each trip is different. we sailed from Australia to New Zealand and had good weather and also around South America with great weather. Both very rare and then had a typhoon in Japan. You never know. Just wondering if you could ever use the ships pool in February... well I mean want to. 🙂

• Like 1

One data point: We took that cruise in early February 2019. It was generally comfortably cool, but we had days of high seas. We missed a couple of ports in Hawaii because the seas were too rough for either docking or tenders. We spent one night anchored on the lee side of the big island in 20' seas, sheltered from the 50' seas on the windward side. I have videos of the water sloshing out of the swimming pools aboard. We don't get motion sick, so we enjoyed it. We have also taken that cruise in the winter and had gentle seas the entire time.

Funny story: My wife was walking down the long passageway toward our cabin, holding on the the handrail as the ship rocked from side to side. Coming toward her she saw a ship's officer doing the same. She said, "I'm glad to see that walking in these seas is just as hard for you guys as it is for us passengers." He replied, "Oh, no, it's not hard. I'm just drunk!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2