Waitlists for sold-out extensions?

Twitchly

9 hours ago, Twitchly said:

She also told me that since we booked the cruise through a travel agent, the TA would have to book the extension. We wouldn’t be able to do it directly. Really?? Has that been everyone’s else’s experience? Seems like working with a TA just keeps adding unwanted layers between us and Viking. 

Yes, that has always been Viking's policy. I learned that on my first Viking cruise a few years ago. And that was the last time I've used a travel agent for booking with Viking.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Doesn't Viking ever add extra accommodations, etc. for sold-out extensions so as to allow for additional bookings? I guess I'm probably viewing it too much like a typical shore excursion where often the (at least larger) cruise lines just add more busses depending on the level of interest as seats fill up.  

It’s not comparable as there is probably a finite number of hotel rooms available to Viking.

We're going from Rome to Athens, with an extension in Athens. I booked 2 days with a private guide in Athens; she emailed me the other day to tell me that the Hilton Athens, where were supposed to stay, is being renovated, and asked where we were staying. Viking didn't tell us that we had been moved to a different hotel, but when I called, was told that we'll be at the Intercontinental Athenaeum, which is a very nice convention-style hotel in downtown Athens. 

We've also not been told the hours of the excursions we'll be getting as part of the extension; it's not like Viking to keep us uninformed, but I'm sure we'll know something when we get onboard.

Thanks to this thread I kept checking MVJ for our upcoming Trade Routes and Mediterranean Antiquities cruises and was able to add the 4 night pre extension in Norway, and the 4 night post extension in Greece today.  Both of these were sold out when we booked the cruises.  My wife really wanted to go to Oslo and take the train to Bergan to start the trip.  Thanks to everyone who suggested to keep watching for openings on MVJ.  

• Like 2