First cruise ever!

Svealise

Hi! 

On march 19 we hopefully board the MSC Seashore for two weeks ✊🏻 I read everything I can find about MSC and cruising but some things are contradictory. I’ve come to the conclusion that some things actually are different depending on which country you book from. But I have some questions that I would like to know and hope som of you thats cruising now or in the near future can help me. 
1. Do you have to take the excursions provided by Msc?

2. Someone who knows which excursions you can book onboard and the price? (On the page where I can book on Msc there’s only a few and none for Cayman)

3. Anything else that I absolutely have to know before coming to the States and going on a cruise? 
All the best to you all from Sweden! 

35 minutes ago, Svealise said:

Hi! 

On march 19 we hopefully board the MSC Seashore for two weeks ✊🏻 I read everything I can find about MSC and cruising but some things are contradictory. I’ve come to the conclusion that some things actually are different depending on which country you book from. But I have some questions that I would like to know and hope som of you thats cruising now or in the near future can help me. 
1. Do you have to take the excursions provided by Msc?

2. Someone who knows which excursions you can book onboard and the price? (On the page where I can book on Msc there’s only a few and none for Cayman)

3. Anything else that I absolutely have to know before coming to the States and going on a cruise? 

AFAIK, for #1. for MSC cruises departing from the US, MSC excursions are only required if one or more member of your party have unvaxed child(ren) traveling with you.  Of course, this is subject to change by the ports/cruise at anytime.

3.  I would highly recommend travel insurance that covers the cruise/state side.  What would be best is a travel insurance with direct billing agreement with US medical providers.  Many medical providers will refuse to see patients if they are not part of a pre-determined insurance "network"--even if they offer to pay cash up front.  Also, hospital ERs will just "stabilize" you before kicking you out besides for the most serious injuries that requires immediate admission......one of the first things hospitals ask you before they formally "admit" you for all but the most serious injuries/illness requiring immediate admission, is insurance card.  Alternatively, travel with a credit card with very high credit limit--so you can put a deposit down, in the unlikely event you have to be admitted to a hospital stateside.

Edited by FrostyJoe
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, FrostyJoe said:

I would highly recommend travel insurance that covers the cruise/state side. 

Travel insurance is required for non-US citizens or boarding will be denied. It must be purchased from country of residence and specifically state that coverage for COVID-19 is included.

Another issue I have run into for my non-US guests is the vaccination certificate. The COVID-19 vaccination certificate must contain: personal identification (at a minimum, full name and date of birth) that match the passport, name of official source issuing the record, vaccine manufacturer and date(s) of vaccination. Must be in English, Italian, German, French or Spanish. Also, this must be in paper form, not electronic.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Svealise said:

Hi! 

1. Do you have to take the excursions provided by Msc?  For the most part no, but you may be limited in how far.  For example:

a. Jamaica will allow you near the port , and you can walk to the nearby town.  Cabs are limited to where they can take you.

b.  Georgetown is likely to not happen and be a sea day or alternate port.  Most likely a sea day.

c.  Mexico is open pretty much to whatever you want to do.

d.  Ocean Cay is open.  Ship sometimes cannot dock do to winds and Bahamas restrictions but has been fine lately.

e.  San Juan will  be fine, but a short stay for the evening.  The castles close at six, and you won't dock until five.  We usually walk around and eat at La Marmalade or another nice restaurant.

f.  St. Thomas may restrict excursions, but is a nice place to walk around and shop or do a brief beach break or tour.

g. Puerto Plata docks at what was an old freighter terminal upgraded for passenger traffic. They finished phase one at the park there, so have stores, restaurants, a large pool and a sand area (not a beach) with a good view of the ship.  You can walk to the town, but not really necessary.

2. Someone who knows which excursions you can book onboard and the price? (On the page where I can book on Msc there’s only a few and none for Cayman)  There are quite a few excursions.  When you click on a port, however, only one row of four "top visits" appear.  If you scroll down, though you can click on "Excursions'" and all of them will now show when you click on the ports.  Alternatively, you can click on "Download PDF", and they will all be listed.

3. Anything else that I absolutely have to know before coming to the States and going on a cruise?  One big think is shoreside.  If you are staying in Miami, note that restaurant and bars have tips (service charges) already built-in, so you don't have to tip above that.  For the cruise, despite the fact that MSC is considered low budget, the workers are great and will  bend over backwards to help you.  Let them pamper you, but also remember that although MSC does not encourage tipping, many cruisers will give something to servers that have impressed them.  Have a great time!

Hello, Svealise:  I think you've gotten some answers.  I'll add some others that I know of from people who have sailed recently.  We go on a two-week sailing on 26 February, so will know first-hand before you sail.  My comments are above.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, JAGR said:

Hello, Svealise:  I think you've gotten some answers.  I'll add some others that I know of from people who have sailed recently.  We go on a two-week sailing on 26 February, so will know first-hand before you sail.  My comments are above.

This, exactly, thanks!

I'd just to add that if you really want to tip a specific MSC worker, please do it in such a very discrete way, once MSC strongly discourages tipping above the included service charge. I believe them to be a bit more liberal on that on US sailings, but better to remember this. Those guys onboard deserve their jobs to be protected, even from the cultural barriers that maybe... Have a nice day!...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nunagoras said:

This, exactly, thanks!

I'd just to add that if you really want to tip a specific MSC worker, please do it in such a very discrete way, once MSC strongly discourages tipping above the included service charge. I believe them to be a bit more liberal on that on US sailings, but better to remember this.

That's very true on US-based sailings.  Only on US MSC cruises can I recall being able to get small envelopes on the last night from the YC concierge desk.  They actually had a box on the table along with stationery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1