San Pedro Pier 46?

lx200gps

Thanks to posts over on the Princess board, we have been alerted to the fact that our mid-April trip on the Discovery Princess, if we go, will leave to and from Pier 46 at SP, and not our customary Pier 92 or 93.  I've also started to read about some pretty bad experiences at that particular pier (remoteness, no "terminal" just a tent, poor transport options, etc)

If anyone has sailed out of Pier 46 recently, what were your experiences?  We'd be taxiing in from Torrance the morning of the cruise, and I'm sure a taxi would have no issues reaching that pier, but I am concerned about disembarkation day. We have very limited options to get home, and our only realistic flight leaves LAX at noon. Are taxis readily available at Pier 46 (we always disembark very early), or could we use a shuttle service?  Thanks for any guidance.

41 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

You will have no problem getting a taxi or Uber from Pier 46. If you want to be absolutely sure and are willing to spend the money, hire a company like Lansky Limo.

Yes, it can be miserable because it is only a very part time pier.

Good to hear there will be option, thanks. Apparently Princess will be using Pier 46 for the Discovery for a while, so transport options should increase. The last time we left San Pedro, Pier 92 a few years ago, we were out in the parking lot around 7:30AM. No taxis to be found, but a number of Supershuttle(?) blue vans were picking up loose passengers, no reservation required, for transit to LAX. Cheaper than taxi and just as fast.  Unfortunately, IIRC they are out of business aren't they?

The SuperShuttle name lives on in SuperShuttle Express. The name was awarded (for lack of a better word) to many different local shuttle companies. For LAX it is Karmel Shuttle. See the link below.

https://www.supershuttle.com/locations/

Because we live in So Cal, we never get off the ship early so by the time we get to the taxi/shuttle area there are plenty for those needing them.

I don't know how many, if any shuttle companies will hang out at Pier 46 hoping for a fare.

You can schedule Karmel for a pick up or Lansky or even Uber/Lyft.

52 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

The SuperShuttle name lives on in SuperShuttle Express. The name was awarded (for lack of a better word) to many different local shuttle companies. For LAX it is Karmel Shuttle. See the link below.

https://www.supershuttle.com/locations/

Because we live in So Cal, we never get off the ship early so by the time we get to the taxi/shuttle area there are plenty for those needing them.

I don't know how many, if any shuttle companies will hang out at Pier 46 hoping for a fare.

You can schedule Karmel for a pick up or Lansky or even Uber/Lyft.

Thanks for the explanation, I never did understand how the Supershuttle "thing" had worked out. I'll be watching the Princess board as we get closer to the sail date, and if there are too many issues showing up with taxi availability, I'll look to book with either Karmel or Lansky for our disembarkation day  Thanks again.

17 hours ago, ltlqtgrl said:

I don't think there have been any cruises out of B46 yet this year.  However, if you're on the April 17th cruise (which is what I'm on), it looks like we will leave out of B46 and return to B92

Unfortunately, we're on the April 10 sailing, which leaves AND returns to Pier 46.  Missed it by one week ;o)

• Like 1