Mandatory shore excursions?

Sinppu

Hello everyone, new to the MSC boards.

Just read a review where someone claimed that you are not allowed to get off the ship in any port unless you've purchased at least one shore excursion via MSC. 

Review was quite recent, Dec 2021. 

Is this true and if not, is there a reason this person has misunderstood? 

Our cruise is in September, so plenty of time to prepare 😆

Thanks everyone.

What itinerary are you talking about? In the Med Italy still requires bubble tours (ship tours only) and therefore MSC did not allow any individual tours although Spain and France did allow them. Italy´s state of emergency lasts until March 31st. It´s expected that it won´t be prolonged. If so the bubble tours are history in Italy. We still have to wait and see what they decide.

steamboats

Steamboats, I am on the 9 April sailing from Marseille. When I go online to check excursions there are none and I’m wondering if that is because MSC are waiting to see what the Italian regulations will be then. Do you have any ideas on what may happen?

15 hours ago, Number34 said:

Steamboats, I am on the 9 April sailing from Marseille. When I go online to check excursions there are none and I’m wondering if that is because MSC are waiting to see what the Italian regulations will be then. Do you have any ideas on what may happen?

On the German MSC website they say "individual shore tours by March depending on local regulations". So it might be that they start out in March with Spain and France and add Italy by April. So far unfortnately we have to wait what the Italian government decides.

MSC might open shore tours later and closer to the sailing date.

steamboats

18 hours ago, steamboats said:

What itinerary are you talking about? In the Med Italy still requires bubble tours (ship tours only) and therefore MSC did not allow any individual tours although Spain and France did allow them. Italy´s state of emergency lasts until March 31st. It´s expected that it won´t be prolonged. If so the bubble tours are history in Italy. We still have to wait and see what they decide.

steamboats

The itinerary had ports in Spain, France and Italy. I do think that reviewer in question did not quite understand the whole picture 😏

Thanks for the reply, it cleared up the confusion. 

• Like 1