Telecom War in FP Disables "Tahiti Wifi" hotspots used by tourists

Mercruiser

I've seen a few CC memebers mention using the Tahiti Wifi hotspot device that they pick up at the PPT airport. Reading this article, it looks like there is a dispute between Tahiti Wifi and cell operator Onati (recently bought out by Vodaphone). The result is that, "But since the beginning of the month, Tahiti Wifi no longer works for tourists vacationing in fenua."

See it here -> https://www.tahiti-infos.com/Le-tourisme-subit-la-guerre-des-telecoms_a207108.html

Hopefully this will get sorted out  soon. But it's something you'll want to monitor if planning a trip and using this device.

Let me offer an alternative. For the last several years, I have been using Google Fi for all of my international travel. This includes the two years I lived in Europe and travelled all over Europe and visited Israel, Turkey, Russia, and Caribbean countries. I am in Tahiti today and am using Google Fi. Like any other "MVNO" is the US, Fi offers cell plans using other companies cell towers, similar to Consumer Cellular, Boost Mobile, etc. The big difference is the Fi works in over 200 countries with very reasonable rates. Data is $10/GB anywhere Fi operates (200 countries). I find the speeds to normally be 4G-LTE. For example, I'm at the IC Tahiti and am getting speeds 22 Mbps down and 14 Mbps up. See screen capture.

Screenshot_20220214-062350.png.924d09a72f10a6b707a6e005433d3a8e.png

There is a price cap of $60 for data in any one month. But they start throttling the speed once you exceed 15 GB. Most importantly, you can use your phone as a hotspot for other devices, using your normal data. 

Making calls while travelling internationally is 20 cents per minute. Texting is free. I rarely make calls. I use What'sApp instead. But it's handy to be able to make calls in the event you are quarantined and need to order a pizza delivery (I'm thinking of the hapless American featured on Tahiti TV that was going hungry in quarantine because he didn't know how to order food.)

There are two ways to get service on Fi. 

1) Use your own phone and order a SIM

2) Buy one of their cheap phones: $49 for a Moto G Play or $100 for a Moto G Power (recommended - that what I use everyday).

Unfortunately, I cannot answer the inevitable questions, "Will it work on Niku Hiva?".  My connection on Tahiti today is using VINI (TIKIPHONE SA). So I'll venture a guess that it works anywhere Vini has service. I'll be on Moorea later today. But I'm not on a cruise, so I cannot answer questions about other islands.

What's the catch? There isn't one. I've never had a billing surprise from Google Fi. The price for a single phone is $20 per month plus $10/GB data, with a cap at 6 GB. If you use data like crazy, your total monthly bill will be $80 on the Flexible for 1 plan ($60 for data plus $20 monthly fee)

Summary: Google Fi is a great plan for international travelers. I've used it myself in at least 30 countries all over the globe. Highly recommended. No billing surprises. No fiddling with airport SIM vendors during your limited travel time.

Edited by Mercruiser