Norway Excursions

millybess

6 hours ago, duquephart said:

It appears the Flam rail excursion out of Eidfjord is no longer offered as part of the Homelands cruise. What other options are available to still do this sort of excursion on our own?

Try this site: The Flam Railway – World's best train journey! | Norways best

I'm not sure of your dates, so can't comment on availability, but get tickets as soon as you can - the train is not large, and fills up rapidly, especially if there is another ship in town. 🍺🥌

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CurlerRob said:

Try this site: The Flam Railway – World's best train journey! | Norways best

I'm not sure of your dates, so can't comment on availability, but get tickets as soon as you can - the train is not large, and fills up rapidly, especially if there is another ship in town. 🍺🥌

Rent a car?

3 hours ago, duquephart said:

Rent a car?

I only noticed the road a few times. The road and the train tracks diverged a lot, and I can't advise as to whether that affects the overall scenic experience - or speak to the road conditions! 

It does appear from Google maps that the road stops short of Kjosfossen Falls, which are one of the highlights of the train route. Also from G-maps, it's not clear that the road actually continues all the way to Myrdal itself.

Apparently, there is a car rental firm in Flam. Perhaps they, or someone who has driven the route can weigh in ... 🍺🥌

14 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

I only noticed the road a few times. The road and the train tracks diverged a lot, and I can't advise as to whether that affects the overall scenic experience - or speak to the road conditions! 

It does appear from Google maps that the road stops short of Kjosfossen Falls, which are one of the highlights of the train route. Also from G-maps, it's not clear that the road actually continues all the way to Myrdal itself.

Apparently, there is a car rental firm in Flam. Perhaps they, or someone who has driven the route can weigh in ... 🍺🥌

That would be nice. Drive to Flam then round trip on the RR. Then back to Eidfjord with several scenic stops along the way. Might be a plan.

50 minutes ago, duquephart said:

That would be nice. Drive to Flam then round trip on the RR. Then back to Eidfjord with several scenic stops along the way. Might be a plan.

Ah - I had not picked up on the fact that your stop is in Eidfjord - the tour we did in 2019 (on HAL) stopped in Flam itself - short hike to the train. The 2-hour drive (one-way) from Eidfjord looks like it might be quite interesting, and with the train ride hopefully still fits your port time.

There are a couple of pics in post #5 of this thread if you had not seen them ... 🍺🥌

1 minute ago, CurlerRob said:

Ah - I had not picked up on the fact that your stop is in Eidfjord - the tour we did in 2019 (on HAL) stopped in Flam itself - short hike to the train. The 2-hour drive (one-way) from Eidfjord looks like it might be quite interesting, and with the train ride hopefully still fits your port time.

There are a couple of pics in post #5 of this thread if you had not seen them ... 🍺🥌

Some sailings stop at Eidfjord and others at Flam apparently depending on docking availability. Ours goes to Eidfjord. As it stands now arrive Eidfjord 7 am and depart 7 pm so seem like plenty of time. Would really like to hear from anyone who has made the drive. 

11 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

We did the Eidfjord-Voss-Flam tour on homelands before.  It was long but one of the best tours we’ve had.  We are back to Norway in a few weeks.  This time the first stop is all day in Flam and hardly any tours are offered.  We are considering doing the Flam railroad (again) / cost is 1000 Nokia ($113) for two.  

17 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Another option I'm looking into is a Norway in a Nutshell day tour out of Bergen. Bergen to Myrdal then Flam and back via Voss. Train, boat and bus.

I recall numerous mentions on the boards lauding that operation - including that particular tour.  It would be one that we'd look at another time, as the boar time looks like fun.   🍺🥌

4 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

I recall numerous mentions on the boards lauding that operation - including that particular tour.  It would be one that we'd look at another time, as the boar time looks like fun.   🍺🥌

Problem is depart time from Bergen = 8:29 am but boat arrival = 8:00 am so probably too tight. Later Bergen depart = 9:28 am but then stuck in Myrdal for two hours.