Carnival Vista - Galveston Port - Boarding Times

rae.holmes

Hey Cruisers!! 

I'm planning the day of road trip to the Port of Galveston for our September Vista Cruise. I haven't cruised since Coivd-19. We're platinum but aren't concerned about being on first. We're needing to pick up one of our companions in Waco the day of (long story) otherwise we would usually come in the night before. 

So my question is, to assist in my itinerary for that morning; What have been the start of boarding times? What is the last time to get on board? How long has the boarding process been taking? 

THANKS BESTIES

I gather from your inquiry, you plan on traveling the day of embarkation, with going to Waco first to pick up a friend, THEN drive down to Galveston. I hope you realize you have about a good 7 or 8 hour(or longer) drive in front of you to just get to Galveston. We live in Arlington and have interstate highway the entire trip, and it takes us a good 6 hrs & 30 min. And you don't have interstate highway the entire trip, unless you go the longgggg route. 

But to answer your question, Carnival opens the doors starting around 10:30 am. BUT, that is not the boarding time. That's the port check in time. And that's IF the ship gets back to Galveston as per their stated arrival time(the real arrival time can vary because of a number of possible delays). Typically, the actual boarding time is around 11:00-11:30. I THINK Carnival cuts off accepting passengers to board at around 3:00 or so. 

As always, YMMV.  Happy sailing! The Vista is beautiful ship with lots of things to do. We thoroughly enjoyed our 7 night on her back in August, 2021. As far as boarding goes, we chose a 1:30 check in time and their were no crowds at all, and didn't stop walking until we got on the ship...About 2pm.

3 hours ago, rae.holmes said:

Hey Cruisers!! 

I'm planning the day of road trip to the Port of Galveston for our September Vista Cruise. I haven't cruised since Coivd-19. We're platinum but aren't concerned about being on first. We're needing to pick up one of our companions in Waco the day of (long story) otherwise we would usually come in the night before. 

So my question is, to assist in my itinerary for that morning; What have been the start of boarding times? What is the last time to get on board? How long has the boarding process been taking? 

THANKS BESTIES

On Vista back in Sept & in Jan 1st check in time available was 10:30, last was 2:30

8 hours ago, Joe817 said:

I gather from your inquiry, you plan on traveling the day of embarkation, with going to Waco first to pick up a friend, THEN drive down to Galveston. I hope you realize you have about a good 7 or 8 hour(or longer) drive in front of you to just get to Galveston. We live in Arlington and have interstate highway the entire trip, and it takes us a good 6 hrs & 30 min. And you don't have interstate highway the entire trip, unless you go the longgggg route. 

But to answer your question, Carnival opens the doors starting around 10:30 am. BUT, that is not the boarding time. That's the port check in time. And that's IF the ship gets back to Galveston as per their stated arrival time(the real arrival time can vary because of a number of possible delays). Typically, the actual boarding time is around 11:00-11:30. I THINK Carnival cuts off accepting passengers to board at around 3:00 or so. 

As always, YMMV.  Happy sailing! The Vista is beautiful ship with lots of things to do. We thoroughly enjoyed our 7 night on her back in August, 2021. As far as boarding goes, we chose a 1:30 check in time and their were no crowds at all, and didn't stop walking until we got on the ship...About 2pm.

With all due respect (and a little jest) HOW SLOW DO YOU DRIVE? From Fort Worth it takes us maybe five hours, six if we stop. Really though thank you for the information. We've decide to stay the night in Waco, then drive down that morning. Takes just a little of 3.5 hours to get to port, plus a Buccee's stop!! 

The only cation I have is the effect of traffic and accidents. Just not too long ago a young family missed their cruise as there was an accident before Galveston that backed up traffic for hours. Without the accident she would have made it. I implore you to use the “Waze” app and keep an eye on hazards that delay you. Personally, driving that distance to arrive on time would give me major anxiety. Good luck.