Belize Nightmare

crisp1

I work around horses on a very regular basis for over 15 years. Horses can be prone to botflies as well as all sorts of other flies. I have never had a botfly do anything other than annoy me at the barn. Although not impossible, the potential of this problem in a foreign land is very slim. Take bug spray if you want and enjoy your vacation!!

Last June while in Belize walking around the port only ... I got bit by something, not sure to this day what.

Any way I ended up with something that resembled a snake bite to me ... 2 holes and it was very itchy and red and bumped up, holes opened. I never ever thought of anything other than a spider bite. Now I am wondering. :( I did not go to the Dr and nothing really bothered me but the itching and the holes that were created. No signs of anything now but I am thinking was it something else? did it fall out of my skin to get someone else? yuck ... grossed out. Took a good 4 months to disappear

Still going cabe tubing though :eek:

Since I posted on this thread last year - pre-Belize, I thought I would post about our experience there. It was wonderful! Had a great time at Bannister Beach with a ships' excursion. I had forgotten all about this thread and didn't wear any bug spray, nor did we have any bites. ;)

I've spent some time over the past few years doing consulting work in Belize and have pretty much been all over the country at one time or another. Have never had a problem with botflies or any other 'critter' although the country does have it's share. Here in Florida we have our share of critters also so it's not like Belize has the market cornered on them.......

Tanker4

Archived