Cunard Burial at Sea?

MarkBearSF

Does anyone know definitively if Cunard allows disposal of remains from their ships?

I saw a similar question on the Princess board recently, and assumed that the answer was no, but it turns out that they have procedures to allow for this. Of course, it must be pre-cleared and they also have a strict limitation on the container to be used (it must be decomposable - they have a list of approved vendors). As a longstanding lover of Cunard and the QM2, it would certainly be worth consideration if it's possible.

Please do not reply with conjectures, only if you have actual knowledge of the subject.

My dear late mother hads her ashes scattered from the rear of Queen Elizabeth in 2016.  It was arranged in advance and throughout the voyage her ashes accompanied us as though on her final cruise. There was a simple moving ceremony carried out on the rear of the ship by the Captain, the purser and another senior officer. The area was closed to the public and a table was placed which was adorned by Queen Elizabeth's ensign. A sword and a bible were laid upon it together with the officer's hats.   I carried my mother's ashes in a biodegradable box adorned in ribbons which Cunard provided and these were put next to the sword on the table while a short ceremony was carried out including readings and prayers. Cunard had provided flowers.  The ceremony had been discussed in advance and I was able to read a tribute.  At the end of the ceremony the purser handed me the box containing the ashes and I moved to the rail to drop them in.  The captain and attending crew saluted as I dropped the box over the side.  It was a beautiful and moving ceremony made into something very special by Cunard and Queen Elizabeth's crew.  It was made even more special as the box entered the water four dolphins leapt in almost unison from the water as if saluting my mother's arrival. After this the officers and crew left my husband and I to spend time in reflection alone.  The rear section remained closed to the public and we were told to take as long as we wanted to.

A day after the ceremony the Captain came to our stateroom and presented me with a certificate of remembrance detailing the coordinates where my mother is laid to rest.  

Whenever I am aboard a Cunard or P&O ship now if we sail from Gibraltar I ask the crew to mention my mother to the bridge.  Most times she is acknowledged with a blast on the horn when we reach the point of her final resting place. It is always a very moving moment for me and something I treasure.

Incidentally Cunard made no charge for organising this.  I have since left a note in my will that I too would like my ashes scattered from a Cunard ship in the same area as my mother.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

It's not found in the Cunard US FAQ that I can see, but it is in the Cunard UK FAQ. Very much in line with the excellent firsthand account provided by @Megabear2.

(Q) Can we scatter ashes at sea?

(A) Yes, it is possible to scatter ashes from our ships at sea. This is dependent on certain factors and requires approval from the Captain in advance of the start of your voyage.

In order for the scattering of ashes to take place, the ashes must be stored within a biodegradable container and the cremation certificate needs to be brought on board. The Captain or a Senior Officer will accompany you to an outside area, typically a lower deck and if requested they will say a prayer.

Flowers for the occasion can be purchased from the on board florist or brought on board from ashore as long as they are completely biodegradable. Once the scattering has taken place, the Captain will normally provide you with location details from the entry in ship's log.

In order to submit your request, please speak to your Customer Contact Centre prior to embarkation.

Once confirmed you will receive details via email / post.  Times and dates may be restricted due to weather conditions and are finalised once on board. Scattering of ashes approval is always subject to change.

Please note that the ceremony is not formal or religious and there is no charge to arrange a scattering of ashes. The scattering of ashes cannot be performed on voyages of 5 nights duration or less. The scattering needs to be performed on a sea day and must be at least 12 nautical miles away from land.

Unfortunately, we are not permitted to scatter the ashes of pets.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much. And Magabear2, I also send my condolences and thank you for your beautiful account.

I will be sure to notify my Travel Agent of my wishes along with the usual notifications.

Edited by MarkBearSF

8 hours ago, shippmates said:

Megabear2 So sorry for your loss and what a great tribute to your Mother.  Who did you contact in advance of your sailing to arrange this?  I am sailing on QM2 in August and my husband's last wish was to be buried at sea.

Thank you.

Thank you.  I made my initial enquiry by calling the customer service line who then transferred me to a specific team who dealt with it.  I had a designated contact who kept in touch in the run up to the sailing.  

I nominated the port of departure I wanted prior to the scattering. It had to be a sea day. Cunard then emailed the captain after checking the roster as to who it would be. In my case it was Captain Philpott who at the time was ashore.  He very kindly emailed me personally to discuss the arrangements and we agreed date, time and place at that point.

Once on the ship I was contacted on day 2 by Tommy who became the onboard liaison and organiser for the scattering.

I hope this helps those who wish to organise for something similar.