"A Deck" on Maasdam Cabin Question

dwdowns

We booked a guarentee Oceanview Cabin on the 3/3/06 sailing of the Maasdam. I just learned that we are assigned Cabin 790 on A Deck. Is this a good cabin or should I inquire about possibly buying up and getting something better. I am concerned about being on the lowest deck. I have been reading a lot of posts from people with extensive knowledge of the Maasdam, please give me your advice. I know we are going on a great ship with a fantastic crew, but any thoughts or comments on this cabin would be appreciated.

Thanks

David

I agree with Tracy, there is less motion on the lower decks. I wouldn't worry about being low as much as being too far forward or aft. On our first cruise we were low, but so far forward that when we ran into 20 ft seas off the north coast of Cuba, it was not too much fun. Thankfully I didn't get sick, but thought about it alot. It was also a small ship, NCL Starward 1984, 650 ft in length. Hal ships are quite a bit larger. But again, the extremes to me are forward and aft, not up and down, although high can be a problem too but a different motion of the ocean.

The Maasdam is a great ship. It's my DH's favorite to date.

GN

The outside guarantee on the Maasdam is HH which is fully obstructed on lower promenade. The next step up is down to deck A cabins with port holes, then to outside cabins with windows. Your cabin is an E cabin mid-ship on deck A, so you are up several categories from the cabin you could have had.

We always book guarantees. You did well on your cabin assignment.

Thanks for the response, it sounds like we will be fine where we are. I liked the location of the cabin being mid ship, especially with a few days in the Atlantic on both ends of the trip. My wife is concerned about seasickness, my concern was reading some posts of hearing a lot of noise on the A Deck. Thanks again, Tracyr, grannynurse, Jemima, and Ruth C, your input has reassured that we did okay with booking a guarentee, and ended up with a slightly better cabin.

David:)

dwdowns. be sure to check the roll call board. There are quite a few of us going on this cruise with you! We leave for Norfolk Thursday, will stay at the Raddison and then board Friday morning. Hope it warms up some!

Thanks Cheric,I will check the roll call board, and hope to meet up with everyone sometime on the ship. We live near Williamsburg, and it is supposed to be up to 70 degrees Thursday. Friday is in the 50 - 60 range, great for this time of year. I can't wait to get under way. It has been about 5 years since my last cruise on the old Westerdam. Have a safe trip down to the Radisson, if it is the one on the harbor in Portsmouth it is a great hotel. Look forward to seeing all on the ship.

Dwdowns:)

sorry Cheric, I got my hotels confused the hotel on the harbor in Portsmouth is a Renaissance not the Radisson. The Radisson is near the Scope Arena and not far at all from the ship at Nauticus. Once again have a safe trip down, see you all on Friday.

Archived