Any Tips to Prevent Lens Fogging, Alaska Cruise?

cmcsharon

It's been 10 years since I've been on a cruise to Alaska and I'm excited to finally be going back in May, on a 10 day cruise out of San Francisco!  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent lenses from fogging over when going back and forth between the warm cabin and balcony?  I'd appreciate any tips you can share. 

For this trip I'm upgrading from a Sony A6000 to the A6600, and have a 70-350mm on order.  I'll be using that lens along with my 10-18mm primarily.  I've also preordered the new Samsung Galaxy 22 Ultra since I need a new cell phone.  So between those, and my trusty Sony RX100vi, I'm sure I'll be struggling with a lot of condensation.

• Like 1

I’ve never had a problem with my lenses fogging up in Alaska during the cruise season. If you end up with some cold weather you can always put it in a bag before going inside and then let your gear warm up. I use a dry sack. Might want to remove the storage card before bagging so you can work with the photos as it warms up in the bag.

The fogging is generally an issue when passing from a cool cabin to the warm humid air in the tropics. To combat this, I use a reptile tank heater tucked inside my camera bag or the drawer where I put my camera when not using it. On various Alaska cruises, I have never noticed any fogging issues in the warm to cold transitions encountered there. This is probably because the heated air on the ship and in the cabin is usually pretty dry. I also put my lens cap on pretty regularly when I go inside to warm up and the camera isn't actively in use. I suppose you could keep your camera and lenses warm while outside with a device designed to heat the camera and keep dew from settling on a lens during astrophotography, but I would think this would be impractical for general photography and based on multiple trips to Alaska in all sorts of weather, unnecessary.

Dave

Edited by pierces
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was on a cruise to Easter Island with camera professionals doing classes/sessons. And I asked one of the pros, and he mentioned. Keep the camera in the drawer beside the bed wrapped in a towel so it doesn't get too cold. Worked for me traveling in warm climates. [It was the Maasdam with the learning pilot, not too much an entertainment cruise. ]

Brian

• Like 1