TA question

village cruiser

I just went to a local travel agent to get some info about a Carnival cruise my family (10 of us) wants to take next year. I've been reading these boards for quite a while (cuz I'm like Obsessed!) so I had a pretty good idea of what I needed to know.

I asked about military and senior discounts, we have 2 vets and 1 senior in our group, and he told me they aren't available anymore. Didn't look it up, didn't call Carnival, just said it's not done.

Also, I asked if we haven't paid in full and the price goes down can we take advantage of it. He said no, once you book that's the price your stuck with.

On the flip side, I asked about one couple in our group with a 9 month old baby. He said if they book a double the baby is free.

Does any of this seem right?

Thanks for any feedback.

Run FAST!!! This TA is unknowledgeable and unaccommodating.

You should be getting military and senior discounts. As well as past guest discount if anyone has cruised with Carnival before. If there is a price drop they should help you to get that drop or give you an upgrade or shipboard credit. I can also tell you a 9 month old baby is NOT free no matter how many are booking in the cabin. The baby will be the cost of 3rd and 4th pax if you have a double booking. HTH...and find a new TA or use a Carnival PVP.

I agree with the above reply - call Carnival direct! We booked directly w/ CCL and got the military discount. We also got a discount just a couple weeks ago for a price fluctuation - saved me another $200 without even asking! Carnival agent called me to let me know she was crediting me!

Sounds like that TA is not interested in handling your booking. My cousin just got a great military discount for a cruise we booked for 3/2007. When I called CCL to compare my TA's price, the PVP at Carnival asked if we had any military personnel cruising in my party. DH and I did not qualify but my cousin rec'd a substantial discount.

We also use an online cruise agency that has consistently beat CCL's quoted prices. If you are interested in the name, let me know and I will email it to you. I don't know if I can post it on a public thread (?)

I have heard that there are only a limited number of military discounts available per cruise. Not sure if there is a limit on seniors.

Regarding the TA you saw, RUN AWAY VERY FAST!!!!

Fourcruisin - specific names of TAs are not allowed to be posted

I just went to a local travel agent to get some info about a Carnival cruise my family (10 of us) wants to take next year. I've been reading these boards for quite a while (cuz I'm like Obsessed!) so I had a pretty good idea of what I needed to know.

I asked about military and senior discounts, we have 2 vets and 1 senior in our group, and he told me they aren't available anymore. Didn't look it up, didn't call Carnival, just said it's not done.

Also, I asked if we haven't paid in full and the price goes down can we take advantage of it. He said no, once you book that's the price your stuck with.

On the flip side, I asked about one couple in our group with a 9 month old baby. He said if they book a double the baby is free.

Does any of this seem right?

Thanks for any feedback.

Never hurts to shop for another TA or call Carnival direct.

We will need airfare, transfers and hotel for the night before (in case it snows) can a PVP do all that? Want to make sure it all "flows" right. :o
Sure they can - but Carnival does charge more for air in MOST cases. You would do better booking your air on your own - since you are going night before and booking your own transportation and hotels. Many hotels close to the port offer free shuttle to the port - while others offer free huttles from the airport.

You are doing the right thing by using this board. You will learn a WEALTH of information and will impress everyone with the knowledge that you gain here. I know it seems overwhelming - but it's really not that hard and it will save you money - I promise.

Since you are dealing with a group - gather the information and make each sub-group responsible for making their reservations. Get the flight numbers and the hotel information. Transporation can be arranged all together - CC members can help with that whether it's to recommend taxi, shuttle, limo, bus, whatever. Get the rates set up and inform everyone who to contact and let them make their reservations. You will want to keep tabs on everyone to ensure they are doing what they need to do. Most agents can only hold cabins for so long beofre they have to let them go.

You get the idea - now get out there and plan a great cruise.

Archived