Legend 2/20/22 Thoughts

sparks1093

Got home last night from Legend's 2/20/22 sailing. Since Legend has been reviewed heavily since the restart I won't do a detailed review (I did do one for our November sailing), but wanted to give some general thoughts and of course will answer any questions that I can.

1. The upsell fairy does exist, we received an upsell offer to a Vista suite from a balcony about 3 weeks before sailing.

2. When we arrived at the port we were about 10 minutes shy of our appointed time but they still put us at the head of the line for the first available security/health screening station. There is still a separate check line after security for suite guests and a separate sitting area. We boarded at around 1234pm. (Only glitch was our printed boarding pass which was marked with suite guest didn't scan so they had to give us new boarding passes printed on a handheld printer. Since these weren't marked suite guest we had to convince the folks directing passengers to let us into the suite guest line.)

2A. The check in person did ask our granddaughter (6) who she was traveling with and her answer was enough, we were never asked for the permission letter that we had from mom.

3. When we ordered a drink in the Atrium the bartender told us that we could only be served one drink after which we would need to complete the muster drill. We went to our assigned station, had our sail and sign cards scanned and watched a life vest being donned. 

4. After muster we went to our stateroom, cabin 7298 (at approximately 130pm) and everything was ready. 

5. Noticed that one of our hard sided bags was cracked during the baggage handling. Went to guest services the following day (not expecting much after reading the FAQ on damaged bags) and after answering some questions about the bag (and showing a picture) was told that they had a full sized soft sided bag they could give us in return. I brought the old bag down to them and they disposed of it for us.

6. Food service was spot on and the food was delicious throughout the trip. We asked for the same wait team that we'd had in November and Ken (Desi's replacement maitre'd) made it happen. Ordered the beef tenderloin one night and while it was tasty it wasn't tender, the only thing that I remember being wrong.

7. Had Cheers for the first time and even with DGD along got our money's worth from it. Never did get a sticker but since everything is in the system it didn't matter.

8. Our new favorite private island is HMC. Great beach, easy to get around on by walking or riding one of the trams. Did the stingray excursion and it was fun, although DGD was too scared of the "sting"rays to stay in the water.

9. Masking was still required even though the requirement was going away soon and most people were compliant throughout the trip.

10. DW went to use the Jacuzzi tub that we had in the suite and couldn't get it to come on. Reported it to guest services. The floor supervisor said that he got it to work, but when GS followed up with us we mentioned that we couldn't get it to work. We came back to the cabin at one point to find the floor supervisor and some maintenance folks working on it and they found a loose connection. For the inconvenience GS credited us for $70 worth of purchases that we'd made on HMC.

11. Miguel is the new comedy club manager and Renier is waiting to find out if he is getting a cruise director job. He took over the duties in January and performed well and is waiting for an interview when the wi-fi is working well enough for that. Leigh is still doing a great job and it was good to reconnect with all of the fun squad. 

12. Crew did a great job keeping the ship clean all week.

13. We sailed with 2412 passengers and 400 to 600 kids depending on who you talked to. 

14. DGD had a great time at the kids club and hated to leave when we had things to do.

Overall a great cruise and our 11th sailing overall and our 5th with Carnival. We are booked on Glory in April 2023 and since we are celebrating 30 years this year it will be a celebration for that, so we booked a suite. I may never get DW into a regular balcony again. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest BasicSailor
22 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I may never get DW into a regular balcony again. 

Sorry for your troubles.  But a nice short review.

12 minutes ago, BasicSailor said:

Sorry for your troubles.  But a nice short review.

Thanks. It is a self-inflicted wound though so I don't feel too bad. The first balcony after the suites will be worse, but after that I hope that the moaning and groaning diminish.

• Haha 2

Glad you had a great cruise.

What was the registration process for the kids club.  Do they have a list of activities for the week?
What kind of hours did they have?  We’re any of the Dr. Seuss activities back yet?
Taking our 6 year old granddaughter on her first cruise soon.

1 minute ago, disneybabe said:

Glad you had a great cruise.

What was the registration process for the kids club.  Do they have a list of activities for the week?
What kind of hours did they have?  We’re any of the Dr. Seuss activities back yet?
Taking our 6 year old granddaughter on her first cruise soon.

You show up at the kid's on embarkation day and they will register you. They had morning hours (9 to 12 as I recall), afternoon (2 to 5) and night (7 to 10). No after hours sitting was available but that is likely to change as protocols loosen. The activities are in the Hub app. No Dr. Suess yet but that too is likely to change.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

Got home last night from Legend's 2/20/22 sailing. Since Legend has been reviewed heavily since the restart I won't do a detailed review (I did do one for our November sailing), but wanted to give some general thoughts and of course will answer any questions that I can.

1. The upsell fairy does exist, we received an upsell offer to a Vista suite from a balcony about 3 weeks before sailing.

2. When we arrived at the port we were about 10 minutes shy of our appointed time but they still put us at the head of the line for the first available security/health screening station. There is still a separate check line after security for suite guests and a separate sitting area. We boarded at around 1234pm. (Only glitch was our printed boarding pass which was marked with suite guest didn't scan so they had to give us new boarding passes printed on a handheld printer. Since these weren't marked suite guest we had to convince the folks directing passengers to let us into the suite guest line.)

2A. The check in person did ask our granddaughter (6) who she was traveling with and her answer was enough, we were never asked for the permission letter that we had from mom.

3. When we ordered a drink in the Atrium the bartender told us that we could only be served one drink after which we would need to complete the muster drill. We went to our assigned station, had our sail and sign cards scanned and watched a life vest being donned. 

4. After muster we went to our stateroom, cabin 7298 (at approximately 130pm) and everything was ready. 

5. Noticed that one of our hard sided bags was cracked during the baggage handling. Went to guest services the following day (not expecting much after reading the FAQ on damaged bags) and after answering some questions about the bag (and showing a picture) was told that they had a full sized soft sided bag they could give us in return. I brought the old bag down to them and they disposed of it for us.

6. Food service was spot on and the food was delicious throughout the trip. We asked for the same wait team that we'd had in November and Ken (Desi's replacement maitre'd) made it happen. Ordered the beef tenderloin one night and while it was tasty it wasn't tender, the only thing that I remember being wrong.

7. Had Cheers for the first time and even with DGD along got our money's worth from it. Never did get a sticker but since everything is in the system it didn't matter.

8. Our new favorite private island is HMC. Great beach, easy to get around on by walking or riding one of the trams. Did the stingray excursion and it was fun, although DGD was too scared of the "sting"rays to stay in the water.

9. Masking was still required even though the requirement was going away soon and most people were compliant throughout the trip.

10. DW went to use the Jacuzzi tub that we had in the suite and couldn't get it to come on. Reported it to guest services. The floor supervisor said that he got it to work, but when GS followed up with us we mentioned that we couldn't get it to work. We came back to the cabin at one point to find the floor supervisor and some maintenance folks working on it and they found a loose connection. For the inconvenience GS credited us for $70 worth of purchases that we'd made on HMC.

11. Miguel is the new comedy club manager and Renier is waiting to find out if he is getting a cruise director job. He took over the duties in January and performed well and is waiting for an interview when the wi-fi is working well enough for that. Leigh is still doing a great job and it was good to reconnect with all of the fun squad. 

13. We sailed with 2412 passengers and 400 to 600 kids depending on who you talked to. 

14. DGD had a great time at the kids club and hated to leave when we had things to do.

Overall a great cruise and our 11th sailing overall and our 5th with Carnival. We are booked on Glory in April 2023 and since we are celebrating 30 years this year it will be a celebration for that, so we booked a suite. I may never get DW into a regular balcony again. 

Do you recall which band was performing in the Red Frog Pub? Curious if Alter Idem is still onboard?

Just now, brilliantseas said:

Do you recall which band was performing in the Red Frog Pub? Curious if Alter Idem is still onboard?

They are definitely still onboard and sounding as good as ever. They rotated in RF with some of the other groups.

5 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Thank you for the quick review. I have 2 questions:

1) We have never been to Freeport, any suggestions on activites(excursion/just find a beach)

2) What time were you off the ship? Our flight was moved up to 1:30 and we are getting a little worried about getting off the ship and making it to the airport in time.

Thank you in advance for all the info.

Matt

25 minutes ago, mfrometa said:

1) We have never been to Freeport, any suggestions on activites(excursion/just find a beach)

2) What time were you off the ship? Our flight was moved up to 1:30 and we are getting a little worried about getting off the ship and making it to the airport in time.

Matt

Recently we've been just walking around the straw market at the port and then going back on the ship. We have done a dolphin encounter, a beach day and a snorkeling excursion over the years. They do offer an excursion to a nice beach that is reasonable (Pirate's Cove?) and they have different levels from just transportation to including food. We were in one of the later groups to debark and I believe that we were off the ship by 11:15. Debarkation started around 10am as I recall. So if you carry off you bags (one of the first groups to leave) then you would likely be fine. (Since this sailing can sometimes come in late we decided on spending an extra night in Baltimore.)

30 minutes ago, mfrometa said:

Matt

Hi Matt,

There aren't may shore excursion opportunities in Freeport. Your best bet for a short stop is to take a taxi to Lucaya Beach / Grand Lucaya Shopping Center, which is about 25 minutes from the port. There is not much to do in the actual port area, aside from a few shops and a small Senor Frogs bar. 

In December, we arrived at the cruise terminal around 9:30 and began disembarkation at exactly 10:00. Being Platinum Self Assist, I was off the ship by 10:15. Debarkation of all guests will finish between 11:30 and noon. I would recommend using Self Assist if your flight is scheduled for 1:30. You should still be able to make it barring any significant setbacks. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Thank you for taking the time to do this!

Hugs

9 hours ago, lions1995 said:

Did the Upsell fairy come via phone or email?

She called. I have received such calls before but the prices were never that great, usually very close to what they were when we booked the cruise. This time it was $300 total to go from a balcony to a Vista suite, which was a no brainer. (After I got off the phone I checked the prices for our cruise and the Vista suites were selling for a bit over $4000 for 3 people.) And I also noticed that there was an upsell offer in our cruise manager but by the time I clicked on it the offer had expired, so I don't know what kind of deal that would have been.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2022 at 6:56 AM, sparks1093 said:

She called. I have received such calls before but the prices were never that great, usually very close to what they were when we booked the cruise. This time it was $300 total to go from a balcony to a Vista suite, which was a no brainer. (After I got off the phone I checked the prices for our cruise and the Vista suites were selling for a bit over $4000 for 3 people.) And I also noticed that there was an upsell offer in our cruise manager but by the time I clicked on it the offer had expired, so I don't know what kind of deal that would have been.

Which deck was your Vista suite on?.....if it was on deck 4, were there any issues with strong vibrations?

Glad you had a great cruise. I will be on the Legend in July. Have to say very impressed how Carnival handled the 2 issues you had. Replacing your luggage and giving you the $70 credit. They didn't have to but they did! Thanks for the review! 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 4:56 AM, sparks1093 said:

What were your favorite drinks and food items?

10 hours ago, jerseyjjs said:

Which deck was your Vista suite on?.....if it was on deck 4, were there any issues with strong vibrations?

It was on Verandah, deck 7. We noticed no strong vibrations.

7 hours ago, emm126 said:

Glad you had a great cruise. I will be on the Legend in July. Have to say very impressed how Carnival handled the 2 issues you had. Replacing your luggage and giving you the $70 credit. They didn't have to but they did! Thanks for the review! 

My thoughts exactly!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, arctickitty said:

What were your favorite drinks and food items?

Oh my, that's difficult. The Deal Closer is a close second (Alchemy does that one) but the chocolate martini was scrumptious. I can't remember the name they had for it but a dangerous drink for sure. As for food. Guy's is as good as always and the Asian kitchen section of the buffet was tasty outside of dinner. Veal parm was probably my favorite MDR item but everything else was good as well.

• Thanks 1