Sun deck on the Sky Princess

Cruise Raider

We were recently assigned to cabin S301 on the new Discovery Princess.  Since the Sky Princess is nearly identical, at least on the upper decks, I have a couple questions for those that have sailed on her in one of these Sun Deck cabins underneath the Sky suites.  

S301 is right across from the elevator vestibule.  Does the outlet end up right across from the cabin door?  

Is there noise from above where the door to that top deck opens?  Or is S301 set back a bit and directly under the suite?   I can’t get the deck plans to line up exactly so am just trying to eyeball it.  

I might be able to transfer my cabin over to S304 but have seen on other ships that there is a smoking section on the port side forward and that would only be a couple cabins away from smoking if it is allowed there.  Can anyone that has cruises on the Sky Princess recently tell me if smoking is allowed in that area in the public decks?  

I am pretty excited about the location because I’ve always wanted to book a room up there and would asked to be switched to S303 if it were available .. alas, it is not.  

I was on Enchanted in S214, layout is similar to Discovery  and Sky. While a room more forward might be ideal, I would not hesitate to take that room if it were my only option on that deck. We are bookex for S220 later this year.  I never noticed any smokking on decks 16, 17, 18 forward. There was a smoking section near the aft pool. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Keata said:

I will be right next door to your cabin on April 3rd.  If you are cruising after that I will be happy to let you know if that area has any issues.

That would be fantastic.  That cruise is not until May so, I’d so appreciate any input with regards to noise / smoke.  

@Buckeye10640 thank you also for the invaluable info.  

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

We were recently assigned to cabin S301 on the new Discovery Princess.  Since the Sky Princess is nearly identical, at least on the upper decks, I have a couple questions for those that have sailed on her in one of these Sun Deck cabins underneath the Sky suites.  

S301 is right across from the elevator vestibule.  Does the outlet end up right across from the cabin door?  

Is there noise from above where the door to that top deck opens?  Or is S301 set back a bit and directly under the suite?   I can’t get the deck plans to line up exactly so am just trying to eyeball it.  

I might be able to transfer my cabin over to S304 but have seen on other ships that there is a smoking section on the port side forward and that would only be a couple cabins away from smoking if it is allowed there.  Can anyone that has cruises on the Sky Princess recently tell me if smoking is allowed in that area in the public decks?  

I am pretty excited about the location because I’ve always wanted to book a room up there and would asked to be switched to S303 if it were available .. alas, it is not.  

A little off-topic but there is a You Tube video of cabin S301 (on Sky). You can go to You Tube or go to cruisedeckplans website, go to Sky Princess deck plans, and click on your cabin for the video. It seems to be a very nice cabin.

6 minutes ago, ChutChut said:

A little off-topic but there is a You Tube video of cabin S301 (on Sky). You can go to You Tube or go to cruisedeckplans website, go to Sky Princess deck plans, and click on your cabin for the video. It seems to be a very nice cabin.

It does look to be very nice and I actually am excited about the location.  I saw the video and the only thing he didn't address was if there was noise or a smoking section nearby.  But from what I can tell, it shouldn't be an issue.  The cruise is up in Alaska and I don't think any midday noise would bother me and I can't imagine people wanting to be walking the deck at night in the cooler weather.  

Someone also posted that they haven't seen smoking on this class of ship on the upper decks forward.  So, that's also good news.  

45 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

It does look to be very nice and I actually am excited about the location.  I saw the video and the only thing he didn't address was if there was noise or a smoking section nearby.  But from what I can tell, it shouldn't be an issue.  The cruise is up in Alaska and I don't think any midday noise would bother me and I can't imagine people wanting to be walking the deck at night in the cooler weather.  

Someone also posted that they haven't seen smoking on this class of ship on the upper decks forward.  So, that's also good news.  

I think it's a great location. I've booked one of the window cabins upfront on the Sun deck for a Thanksgiving cruise later this year. I think your location is perfect. It appears your cabin is directly underneath a suite cabin so no noise from above.  If you're concerned about smoke wafting up from Deck 16, it appears you have cabins below you and I wouldn't think any smoke from the Deck 16 bar area, etc. would waft up that far. I don't believe Princess allows smoking in the Retreat area on Deck 17 (please correct me if I'm wrong on this one).

Edited by ChutChut
spelling
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ChutChut said:

I think it's a great location. I've booked one of the window cabins upfront on the Sun deck for a Thanksgiving cruise later this year. I think your location is perfect. It appears your cabin is directly underneath a suite cabin so no noise from above.  If you're concerned about smoke wafting up from Deck 16, it appears you have cabins below you and I wouldn't think any smoke from the Deck 16 bar area, etc. would waft up that far. I don't believe Princess allows smoking in the Retreat area on Deck 17 (please correct me if I'm wrong on this one).

Correct  no smoking in the Retreat Pool area. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Keata said:

@Cruise Raider We were upgraded at the port so I can't comment on the room but the area was wonderful and you would not have any banging doors from the hallway.  No smoking anywhere nearby.  Enjoy!

Wow, thank you for remembering and have a great cruise.  Congrats on the upgrade.