New to Royal; question about Bank of America visa points

Booked our first Royal Caribbean cruise, not sailing until January 2023. Have Bank of America Visa card with some points expiring each month. My question: when can I redeem points? Do I need to wait until final payment or can I redeem some whenever I want? Trying to avoid losing points due to expiration dates.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 hour ago, mared1 said:

Booked our first Royal Caribbean cruise, not sailing until January 2023. Have Bank of America Visa card with some points expiring each month. My question: when can I redeem points? Do I need to wait until final payment or can I redeem some whenever I want? Trying to avoid losing points due to expiration dates.

You should be able to redeem your points as soon as you have a reservation number to link the credit to. I’ve never had any issue redeeming prior to final payment, but have only ever redeemed for OBC. Sometimes it does take a couple days to show up on your cruise planner. 

I have a cruise booked on the Allure in July.  We have been redeeming for onboard credits everytime that we reach the credit amount.  It has usually been taking about a month for our onboard credits to show up on our cruise planner after redeeming for the reward.

6 hours ago, mared1 said:

You can redeem the points as soon as you have booked your cruise and have a booking number. You can purchase OBC with the points or you can use them to pay down the balance on what is owed for the cost of the cruise. I don't know how many points you have or when they expire but if your cruise is that far away, I recommend using a bunch of them now so you don't have to worry about points expiring every month.