Caymans yo hire consultant for cruise entry.

Virginia100

It sure sounded like with only 20% of revenues from cruisers and local opposition it’s not a friendly environment for us. That’s ok, take them off all the itineraries, been there, not impressed. My least favorite island. Hope we skip it on my 3/26 cruise.

That’s sad you don’t like the Caymans.  The water there is beautiful, snorkeling and diving some of the best in the Caribbean.  If you’re not into water activities I can understand it but otherwise you are missing out.  We’ve missed it and am hoping we can return on our July cruise as scheduled.  

• 2 months later...
On 3/7/2022 at 5:41 PM, Virginia100 said:

It sure sounded like with only 20% of revenues from cruisers and local opposition it’s not a friendly environment for us. That’s ok, take them off all the itineraries, been there, not impressed. My least favorite island. Hope we skip it on my 3/26 cruise.

Cayman is not for everyone that's true.  If you don't like it, you can definitely stay on the ship.  The Cayman government gets their fees whether you come ashore or not.

The island and government are constantly trying to find a balance between the Caymanian locals, the very large financial sector, overnight tourism and cruise ship tourism.  I wouldn't say that that automatically makes it "not a friendly environment", it's just not an island or country that relies on cruise tourism. 

What that means is that you aren't going to get as much of the "let's squeeze as much out of the cruisers as possible" mentality that you get on some other islands - places have to stay open for all the other income sectors too - if it were a ripoff then they wouldn't last long (and honestly, they don't tend to - I've seen it).

But if you don't like it, that's ok - there is no one best spot in the world, luckily.

• Like 1