Need advice for itinarary

Karleeh

Hi all,

I have been reading through a lot of forums and figuring out what to do for the day we are in Port.  A few important things:

We are there from 8am-6pm

There are 3 other cruise ships in port that day

We are a young couple without kids

I am interested in the following:

The baths and Savannah bay

Jyost Van Dyke

Snorkeling 

Smugglers Cove

I have looked at private charter companies and it looks like they are pretty much sold out.  So we are left with doing it on our own or some of our cruise ship excursions.  This is our first time visiting the island and I honestly don't know if we will ever be back.  

Our cruise ship has an excursion to see the baths from 8:30-12:30.  If we did that, would we still have time to go to Smugglers Cove? Would we just take a taxi there? THank you!

Edited by Karleeh

Hi Karleeh! I replied to your post on the TA forum 😄

Just to get you started, you have a nice long 10 hours in port, and that gives you a great opportunity to take advantage of a nice day on Virgin Gorda!

I’m sure a few others who were able to do a similar itinerary to this will agree it is an amazing day. Most day visitors are limited to a quick trip to VG and a very crowded Baths experience…

So one option…While your ship excursion heads to VG at 8:30, you can take the Speedy’s ferry on your own. You will find taxi drivers waiting at the marina, and they will be eager to work with you by dropping you at Savannah Bay, either along, or enroute to dropping others at the Top of the Baths. He/she will coordinate a time to return for you and decide on whether to go to the Baths or stop at Mad Dog’s for a drink first. But the driver can help you make the most of your day on VG!

Spanishtown is a short walk from the ferry terminal, and we often stop at the Bath & Turtle for a bite before ferrying back to Tortola.

But you can also reverse your itinerary and try to get the Baths in first if you want to spend the remainder of your time at a nice beach on Tortola…

I can share other options for Smuggler’s Cove, which is our favorite Tortola beach, or for a day sail to JVD if you are interested in either of those?

Thank you SO much! It is nice when you start to wrap your head around the various options and what is possible. 

Because we are headed to Saint Martin the next day, we plan to have a full beach day there.  It would be nice to have a little more of a tour or adventure while in Tortola (and also the opportunity to see the most scenic spots). I looked at some of the charter companies and the itinerary options they offer... which seem ideal.  But they are all booked for the day we are in Tortola. 

It does sound like a taxi driver is a great option. As long as it isn't too overwhelming when you first get off the cruise ship (not sure if there is a big swarm of them when tourists first get off the boat there?)

I suppose I just don't know what we would enjoy most, between Smuggler's Cove, JVD, or VG. It sounds like if we went out to Smugglers cove, that would be a full beach day commitment. Would we have time to do the baths AND have our taxi driver then take us to Smugglers? Where might we find the best snorkeling on the island? What is good about JVD? Do you get to see a lot on your way out there? 

Also, what about Spring Bay? Would that be a good alternative to the Baths? 

Thank you!

Edited by Karleeh

I also wanted to mention that there IS a charter tour avaliable with Aristocat (the only one left) that goes to Norman island, the indians, and peter island.  Are these worth seeing?  Is it as scenic as the other spots?

Thank you SO much! It is nice when you start to wrap your head around the various options and what is possible. 

Because we are headed to Saint Martin the next day, we plan to have a full beach day there.  It would be nice to have a little more of a tour or adventure while in Tortola (and also the opportunity to see the most scenic spots). I looked at some of the charter companies and the itinerary options they offer... which seem ideal.  But they are all booked for the day we are in Tortola. 

It does sound like a taxi driver is a great option. As long as it isn't too overwhelming when you first get off the cruise ship (not sure if there is a big swarm of them when tourists first get off the boat there?)

I suppose I just don't know what we would enjoy most, between Smuggler's Cove, Spring Bay, Long Bay, JVD, Savannah Bay, or VG. It sounds like if we went out to Smugglers cove, that would be a full beach day commitment. Would we have time to do the baths AND have our taxi driver then take us to Smugglers? Where might we find the best snorkeling on the island? What is good about JVD? Do you get to see a lot on your way out there? 

Thank you!

I know…This is such an amazing destination, I wish the cruise lines offered a couple days. Some smaller lines do stop at Tortola and VG, or Jost…The BVI are my very favorite Carib destination…

We are not avid snorkelers but I know that some areas of Savannah and Spring Bay are very good for snorkeling. The Baths are a different experience, although Spring Bay does offer a similar topography…

For snorkeling on Tortola Brewers Bay is popular, as is Smuggler’s. Smuggler’s is usually devoid of day visitors and there are just some land visitors there. I believe Nigel has a grill and snorkel rental set up there again…

You can join a shared safari-type taxi island tour for a few hours for ~$25/pp. These are easy to find, and the ladies at the information booth are very helpful. That would leave some time for another adventure, you’d have to look at the VG and JVD ferry times to see if they work…There MAY be a water taxi option from Cane Garden Bay to Jost.

A private taxi with AC is an ideal way to explore Tortola AND have time at a beach of your choice.

For a Jost day it’s basically a beach day on White Bay with popular beach bars. It’s a favorite hang out for Kenny Chesney, but it’s also gotten so, so busy anymore. But many just head there and never experience beautiful Tortola!

But I will say the Aristocat sail to the east area with stops at Island Bight or the Caves of Norman, the Indians, and Cooper or Peter Island is an amazing option, and if you want the best snorkeling and a beautiful daysail I would recommend that over everything else.

i didn’t mention Mitch at Ocean Magic if you haven’t talked to them? That’s a private powerboat charter that would give you the option of hitting Jost, VG, and Willie T in between, not too expensive if you can share with someone on your Roll Call, for example.

so much to look at! 

Meant to add that Kuralu and Aristocat would offer daysails to Jost and include either Sandy Spit or Green Cay (the latter for snorkeling), or the east sail ehich you are looking at. Often the first booking guests choose the actual itinerary, depending on the conditions that day of course. 

Ok Blue Water... I am reaching out to you one more time. 🙂 

We decided that we are going to skip Smugglers Cove - we want to do something a little more adventurous. 

We will either: 

Ferry ourselves to VG, taxi to Savannah beach and then go to the baths OR Spring Bay.  Possibly have lunch at Coco Maya.  

OR

Take a chartered cruise with Kuralu that goes to Peter, Norman, and JVD. 

We live in the Pacific Northwest... we are very lucky to have stunning ocean features, lots of giant boulders and rock formations all around. We've seen cool rocks 😉  So I am just wondering... if we would find the Baths as unique and a "must see" as someone from a different region.  Looking at pictures they don't draw me as much as everyone talks about, but sure, they do look interesting. I'm just not sure if it's worth us going to, especially with crowds.  BUT Savannah beach looks STUNNING. This is what we are looking for! That long stretch of crystal blue water that is warm enough to swim in. All that greenery coming right up to the beach. Picture perfect. That is why we are visiting the Caribbean! So Savannah is drawing me to VG, with the bonus of getting to see the baths if we are there.  Is there anything else worth taking a taxi to/doing while on VG?  

Same with the Caves/indians... we have done that at other destinations... Puerto Vallarta had something similar. I'm not sure if this would be new to us.  

White beach on JVD looks beautiful, as does Sandy Split.  Again it is that scenery that is drawing us in.  Just wondering if we would not like the vibe as much on a cruise ship, experiencing beach bars and a party crowd is not what we need. So visiting Sandy Dollar isn't on our priority list. However it might be fun to not have to worry about shuttling ourselves around and going with a tour to just relax. BUT perhaps we save that for our day in St. Martin?? 

Thanks again!! (will also post on TA just to get some more opinions)

You are super lucky to have a long port time.  Ours is 6-2 and we wanted to ferry over to VG on our own, but would be rushed due to ferry times or getting out a 7 am. (Yawn).  Should be less crowded for you to do VG in the afternoon.  It is one of the top 20 beaches according to a few shows I saw.

We are probably going to taxi to one of the suggestions above. 

I saw (and responded) to your TA post, and I have to say I envy you!
Just so many excellent options on your long stop, most of which you can do away from the crowds…Some slightly different feedback here…🙊

But based on your new thoughts, I think the daysail would be an amazing day. I didn’t think they did both JVD and the east itinerary with Peter and Norman Islands due to the distance, usually JVD or the others…But the eastern itinerary which includes the Indians, Norman Caves or the Bight, and Cooper or Peter Island (and perhaps the “Willie T”!) is definitely a great day. The typical Jost/Sandy Spit tour involves less time on a very busy beach, but is a fun spot for a Painkiller or such. Our favorite spot on White Bay is Seddie’s One Love, he performs tricks and has a great Bushwacker…And less busy than 

Soggy $$…

BUT…🙉🙉🙉 The VG day on your own with a driver is a great and affordable beach day.

With both you are mostly away from the rest of your fellow passengers.

And an island tour of Tortola with AC would be another amazing day. Beautiful island with panoramic views from the mountain, and stunning bays and beaches…And Cane Garden Bay is a good spot to end it or to stop for lunch…You may even be able to hire a water taxi from CGB to Jost and get in White Bay! There has always been that option and the driver can help with that question…

🤷🏼 VG? Kuralu?

• 1 month later...

@blue_waterWe've been to Tortola once, and did the Baths and it was amazing. I'd like to the kids, 8 and 12, to do something different this time. Can you recommend a sailing or beach where the waters are typically calm? they had a bad catamaran experience. So, we are trying to ease them back into that.

I understand, the first time we sailed on the Golden Eagle out of St Maarten we encountered 7’ waves and many on the cat were miserable the entire trip…
There are a few excellent cat sails that are very highly regarded - Aristocat, Kuralu, and Patouche. They cannot promise calm seas of course, but they do plan the days itinerary around the sea conditions that day.

For a nice, calm beach Brewers Bay would be a great choice. Again no guarantees, but for a North Shore bay that is better protected and usually quite calm. It also has an old Caribbean feel there…Taxi is ~$9/pp in the shared safari taxis. The ride can be exhilarating going over the hill, but it’s not that bad…Your driver will probably coordinate a return time, or others will stop in. 
Cane Garden Bay will be the hotspot with most of your fellow passengers going there. There are several beach restaurants and small hotels lining this larger bay, but the sea can be smooth as glass or very rough…

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Dee1234 said:

Blue_water do you know of any other daysail companies currently operating out of Tortola heading to Norman/ Cooper or Peter Islands?

No we’ve not been there this year but with all the sailing outfits out of Road Town and Nanny Cay there are others. I know ocean Magic Mitch offers private charters and can accommodate you but that would be a power boat rather than a cat. But because it is a powerboat you can actually hit Sandy Spit and Jost, then head east to the other islands.

I had checked on the cost of this tour pre-pandemic with Magic Mitch, in 2019 it was $1,000 for up to 6 ppl ($800 + $200 fuel). He has pricing for up to 12 ppl.

Captain Malcolm’s special: A tour of the breath-taking Baths; Virgin Gorda, stop at Cooper Island or for a drink, lunch, and a drink then snorkel off the rocks by Cooper, the infamous Willy T floating bar for a drink and/or lunch as kids love to jump off the back of the 2nd-level deck, then finish your day with spectacular snorkeling at the Caves (1 of the top 2 snorkeling spots around - blue tang and stoplight parrotfish) and a stop at Pirate Bite Norman Island.

He also had a special boat and price for COUPLES (23’ Contender seats up to 3 passengers): $550 plus $200 fuel includes captain, snorkel gear, and a cooler of beers, waters, and sodas
https://www.facebook.com/Ocean-Magic-Mitch-Island-Tours-1673134279639995/

You may also want to check the TTOL BVI forum to see if any other daysail operators are sponsors there, or someone there may be able to help if you post this question there. TTOL is a sailing forum…

http://www.traveltalkonline.com/ubbthreads.php/forums/7/1/british-virgin-islands.html

Edited by blue_water

• 3 months later...

Just booked a cruise for December (Xmas week on Celebrity) and never been to Tortola.  We have 12 people in my group and trying to figure out if we can do Jost and the Baths in the same day since we arrive at 8am and leave at 6pm.  We were looking at the ship excursions but wasn't sure if this is a perfect place to rent a private charter for the 12 of us.  Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.  Thanks.  

11 hours ago, blue_water said:

Yes with ~8 - 9 hrs of free time you could hit both spots with a powerboat . You can contact Kuralu, Aristocat, and especially Joe at Patouche for private charter options. 

I’d suggest first contacting Capt Malcolm at

https://sunshinepowerboats.com/

Thanks for the response.  Couple of other questions.  Is Sunshine power boats in the same harbor as where the cruise will dock so we can just walk to their boats?  Also, while most of my party is fairly active we will have my 80 year old mother with us.  She is still active but not strenuous stuff like climbing the rocks at The Baths.  If we go to the baths is it pretty for her to look at from a boat while we maybe snorkel or would that be a waste of time for her?  Same type of question for Jost.  Is it a pretty easy walk in the water to the beach usually?  She still goes golfing every week so like I said she is pretty active for someone in her 80's but does have some limitations.  

8 minutes ago, Snate said:

Thanks for the response.  Couple of other questions.  Is Sunshine power boats in the same harbor as where the cruise will dock so we can just walk to their boats?  Also, while most of my party is fairly active we will have my 80 year old mother with us.  She is still active but not strenuous stuff like climbing the rocks at The Baths.  If we go to the baths is it pretty for her to look at from a boat while we maybe snorkel or would that be a waste of time for her?  Same type of question for Jost.  Is it a pretty easy walk in the water to the beach usually?  She still goes golfing every week so like I said she is pretty active for someone in her 80's but does have some limitations.  

Yes, Sunshine is also in Wickams Cay with the cruise pier, near the Village Cay Marina of which Jimmy Buffet shared his Cheeseburger in Paradise” with us. 8-minute walk according to Sunshine’s site.

https://goo.gl/maps/ssAA5r9FuTy6Z1SU7

Yes on a powerboat excursion you would moor just off the Baths and your mom would enjoy the beautiful Baths setting from the boat.

On Jost, a powerboat may need to drop you in knee-high to chest-high water, depending on how congested White Bay was. I would ask, as the operator may have a dinghy, or may suggest dropping your mom and you at the ferry dock in Great Harbor, and taxiing over the hill to White Bay.

A bonus with that would be able to meet Foxy and maybe hear some of his songs. Your mom may like that more than the bars in White Bay! One part of your group may want to do Foxy’s before White Bay, and the boat captain can tell you when he entertains…

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/28/2022 at 7:26 AM, blue_water said:

Sorry, I had changed the map location above to Village Marina…🤷🏼 😄

This map shows the Sunshine Powerboat location … 

https://goo.gl/maps/pfmuaR3c9wyKRVo56

@blue_water Thank you for all your helpful advice and suggestions here!

I'm on Celebrity Beyond Xmas week as well and contacted Capt Malcolm as you recommended. I only have a group of 4, so fingers crossed he has availability on one of his smaller boats.

Also, my 7 year old son loves fishing, do you know if it would be possible to do the baths at Virgin Gorda and some fishing? We are docked from 7a-3p.

Thanks again!

You are very welcome of course! 😄
I’ve never fished on VG but I’m sure there are options. I would let Capt Malcolm’s contact know you want that and I’m sure he could accommodate that as part of the trip. Most charters, even on catamarans, let you fish or troll during the sail or from shore.

Edited by blue_water
Typo
  • Like 1