cruise insurance?

cabosal1

We are regular SeaDreamers (12 trips, so far).  Having such a hard time the past 2 years arranging a (Caribbean) cruise , what with Covid restrictions, cruise

cancellations, flight problems, we decfided, for the first time, to opt for cruise insurance.  We got the SD offered, Starr Insurance and got it as "cancel for any reason" coverage.  By the way, at a cost to us of over $800.00.  Fine, we're covered, right?

Come cruise day, American Airlines cancels our flight and puts us on a day later flight, arriving in St. Martin, post embarkation.  We canceled our trip.  Thank God, we've got "cancel for any reason, cruise insurnce!

Sent in all the claim paper work to Starr, heard nothing from them.  I called, told they'd get back to us in 10 days.  Called repeatedly after, the 10 days, told me they were "working on our claim".  Yesterday, 1 month after our cancelled cruise, I got a letter requiring more documentation ( stuff I had sent originally).

I am beginning to think I am not out only the cost of the cruise, but also the $800.00 for insurance.

Just wanted to forewarn anyone contemplating getting the Starr insurance SD offers. I will never get cruise insurance, again! (Yes, this would have been our 13th SD cruise!)     

• Like 1

Sorry this happened to you.  We've always gotten our travel insurance with Travel Insured International.  The one time we had to cancel required a lot of paperwork but they did reimburse us rather quickly.  Hopefully, you'll get paid soon.  

• Like 1

Did you file it as a Cancel for any Reason claim? Most policies consider a cancellation caused by a carrier delay to be a covered reason, meaning you are entitled to full cash reimbursement of all nonrefundable expenses not just the percentage provided for by CFAR. Perhaps they are evaluating your claim under other provisions of the policy such as missed connection or trip delay/interruption.

Travel insurance is complex. It is not unusual for the consumer to be poorly informed, but whoever sold the policy should have been able to explain how it works. 

• Like 1

Yes, I filed as a CFAR. as I thought that would be the best and easiest way to recoup.  Having supplied additional documentation, per request, I have not heard anything since.  It's been 2 months now. 

I don’t know anything about SD insurance, and the web page does not have a link to the policy so I can’t see the language of the policy. Without any details, I can’t say what is happening; but in light of independent third-party polices, it seems this should be reimbursed as a covered reason for cancellation. The delay caused you to miss the cruise.

The insurance company will require documentation and proof of everything. It is not unusual for the claims process to require multiple submissions and extended time to settle. Continue to comply, keep copies, and make note of all communication with the company.

Consider buying from a reputable broker for future travel so you have someone in your corner when it comes time to choose appropriate coverage or to file a claim.

• Like 2

Given how many SD voyages you’ve logged, did you ask them for a credit of some kind?

While not their fault, goodwill for good customers should be a best practice these days, especially since you purchased the insurance SD essentially recommended.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a reply from Starr regarding our insurance claim...DENIED!!  Apparently a flight being cancelled is NOT an "unforeseen occurrence".  Also, "cancel for any reason" (which is the coverage we had) must be done 2 days or more prior to embarkation (We canceled ONE day prior, as that was the day AA canceled our flight.), therefore, cancel for ANY REASON was considered null and void.   

We had never insured a cruise before, but due to recent events (Covid related) thought it prudent to do so.  Not only did we not have anything covered, we lost over $800 in useless insurance. Never again!

(I will let SD know what I think of their recommended insurer.)

• 3 months later...

This is a horrible story, and it begs the question as to why you were not given a refund because you could not get to the ship due to no fault of your own?   What was their rationale?  This is actually crazy scary.

• 1 month later...

DW and I had a similar experience with AIG.  We were forced to cancel at doctors insistence.  My mother in law suffered a medial emergency.  The stress of dealing with it cause my wife to have palpitations and stress induced hypertension.  Her doctor told her on no condition leave the country.

Doctor filled out all required forms (multiple times), we have submitted all requested documentation, we even submitted mothers medical information.  They are denying because, despite all documentation from wife's doctor they claim initiating event was her mother being hospitalized so does not qualify.  When we explained that it was wife's medical condition that caused cancellation they went out of their way to (maliciously in my view) misunderstand, or at least appear to. 

They have resorted to asking for the same forms over and new forms in an endless stream in what feels like a fairly transparent attempt to wear us out.  I am finally resorting to hiring an attorney who specializes in insurance claims.

We have been travelling multiple times per year for 25 years and always had insurance through them.  Never again.  

I echo the OPs sentiment.  They make a lot of bold statements when selling you the policy but try to collect one time and see what happens 😞