Use cruise line for dive trips?

cwc9001

I am sailing on Coral princess and wondered if anyone has had good luck using princess for dive excursions. I have checked some independant operators like scuba club cozumel and they say all their boats leave at 8 am. I would like to dive at Ocho Rios, G Caymen and Cozumel and dont know if its easier to set up with the cruise line. I have cruised before but just got certified to dive last August so I dont know if I should stay away from the cruise line for diving. Craig

Craig, have used RSSC for dives in Tahiti but the dive team is part of the ship, so that is not a good comparison, but we did coordinate with outside dive ops during the two week cruise. Generally, I find booking with outside dive ops that you verify good reviews either here or other scuba boards work out well...IMO, the outside dive ops with verifed reputations give you great service and really take time to showcase your dive...good luck..r/wes

Craig,

When are you sailing the Coral? We are on the March 24 sailing and are arranging private dives in Coz and G.C. We booked with Alison (scubawithalison.com), who came highly recommended by many on this board. She is flexible and needs at least 2 divers to go out. Still working on booking an a.m. Stingray City dive in G.C.

My rule of thumb is, if it is your first time in that port diving then go with the cruise ship excursion. Booking independantly has it's risks and requires a certain amount of know how and familiararity, remember if you're late the ship won't wait! Alternatively, if an excursion does return late your ship will still be there. Because you're a new diver, and if you're worried about crowds or "canned dives" (dives which are typical for cruise ship divers), don't. Get a little experience under your belt before venturing out. For informational purposes if you decide to book independantly, sometimes a small group of inexperienced divers with even the best dive operators exposes you to certain unnecessary risks, be cautious. There is no substitute for experience and a good dive buddy. :)

My rule of thumb is, if it is your first time in that port diving then go with the cruise ship excursion. Booking independantly has it's risks and requires a certain amount of know how and familiararity, remember if you're late the ship won't wait! Alternatively, if an excursion does return late your ship will still be there. Because you're a new diver, and if you're worried about crowds or "canned dives" (dives which are typical for cruise ship divers), don't. Get a little experience under your belt before venturing out. For informational purposes if you decide to book independantly, sometimes a small group of inexperienced divers with even the best dive operators exposes you to certain unnecessary risks, be cautious. There is no substitute for experience and a good dive buddy. :)

damn good advice

follow it :)

... I would like to dive at Ocho Rios, G Caymen and Cozumel and dont know if its easier to set up with the cruise line.
Going the the ship's dive excursion is definitely the easiest way to go, and for a beginner, probably not a bad idea either, especially in Cozumel where they might or might not have the tendering issues worked out. I personally wouldn't try to dive in Jamacia if I even got off the ship there. Grand Cayman is a good place for a guided shore dive. There are 2 dive shops right by the nearby dive site, Eden Rock.

edenrockmap.jpg

Reddi, We are going on the 24th also, I think we are going to dive with Dressel Divers in Cozumel. I dont know who we are going to use in caymen yet. I have not been able to log on to these boards for a couple of days. dont know if its my computer or the system but its happened to me a couple of times before.

Hey Craig,

Glad you will be joining us on the Mar 24 Coral sailing. Check out the Roll Call for our sailing - some nice people have been sharing ideas/comments for some time. My wife and I are still set with Alison for Cozumel and intend to keep the dives to a max of about 60 ft. since it's been a long while since we've been diving. We'll be grabbing a cab when we disembark and heading straight to the marina. If that kind of dive interests you let me know and I can put you in touch with Alison. She comes highly recommended by others on this board. I am in the process of finalizing a morning Stingray City dive with Danny of Off the Wall Divers. Since we are scheduled into G.C. at 7am and have to tender, we'll probably be heading out at about 9am and get back with plenty of time check things out. Let me know if you would like any info. Ted

Ted, I am planning on using dressel divers in cozumel because they are located at the iberostar hotel. I figured we can take a cab to the hotel and my wife and daughter can hang out on the beach while we dive. I have this vision of my wife and daughter headed south down that barren desolate road in cozumel to the beach in the back of some cab. I probably should not worry but I do. I am not concerned about cayman, its a little different set up with the dock and the vans that hold 20 people. I don't know I am still trying to sort everything out. Craig

Ted, I am planning on using dressel divers in cozumel because they are located at the iberostar hotel. I figured we can take a cab to the hotel and my wife and daughter can hang out on the beach while we dive. I have this vision of my wife and daughter headed south down that barren desolate road in cozumel to the beach in the back of some cab. I probably should not worry but I do. I am not concerned about cayman, its a little different set up with the dock and the vans that hold 20 people. I don't know I am still trying to sort everything out. Craig
I hope you will post a review of you diving with Dressel. I haven't read anything good about Dressel, so I'd like to know if what I have read is accurate.

Good luck guys with diving on the Coral--we went Feb 2nd--Feb 12th and we took our equiptment and did not dive 1 time. Was sick for Coz--could not tender in GC and by that time was discussed to even get our gear wet for Jam. But had fun otherwise. Zippedlined in Costa Rica great fun.

Going to the Bahamas in Sept--doing shark dive YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:p :) :D

Archived