Looking for current beach info

cruisegal415

We will be in Tortola next week, we usually do Resort For A Day passes in most ports, but they don't have one in Tortola.  A google search revealed there was one place in Tortola that used to do that, but no longer.  We are looking for a place where we can go sit on the beach, on a lounge chair, under an umbrella or in the shade. We are willing of course to pay for the privilege of renting a chair and umbrella.  

I see that there are a few beaches there, but we are not bringing chairs with us on the cruise, and we're too old to sit on the sand, lol, so bringing our own chairs to the beach isn't practical.

Any suggestions for us? I don't like doing the ship excursion (Celebrity Summit) because they only allow for like an 90 minutes-2 hours on the beach, and we prefer to spend more time than that. Also don't like to be restricted as to when to go and when to return. 

You can easily find helpful info in the threads just below yours…Research really opens doors!

But to steer you, CGB and Brewers are great for those looking for an easy self-excursion…just look at previous threads to compare! 😉

1 hour ago, blue_water said:

You can easily find helpful info in the threads just below yours…Research really opens doors!

But to steer you, CGB and Brewers are great for those looking for an easy self-excursion…just look at previous threads to compare! 😉

I'm not sure what you mean about the threads below mine.  I was asking for recent information, the threads I saw about beaches were pre-pandemic. Looking for recent info. Specifically, looking for beaches where we could rent a chair/lounge and an umbrella.  The only one place that was mentioned in the previous threads doesn't seem to be offering that any more.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cruisegal415 said:

I'm not sure what you mean about the threads below mine.  I was asking for recent information, the threads I saw about beaches were pre-pandemic. Looking for recent info. Specifically, looking for beaches where we could rent a chair/lounge and an umbrella.  The only one place that was mentioned in the previous threads doesn't seem to be offering that any more.

For an easy beach day with lounge/umbrella rentals, food, drink & restrooms, and reliable transportation there and back, most day visitors will go to Cane Garden Bay or Brewers Bay. Description of both beaches from an earlier post - 

The beaches of the BVI are indeed beautiful, and this thread is meant to provide brief descriptions and comparisons of the beaches for those new to the islands, and allow others to add their experiences and feedback. For those wanting a gorgeous beach with some amenities and no crowd there is not one beach that fits that criteria anywhere, of course. But there are several excellent options to choose from in the BVI, and all BVI beaches are free and open to the public.

Tortola -

Cane Garden Bay (CGB) on the north shore of Tortola is the primary beach destination for day visitors because there are several beach bars to choose from and it is easily accessible by safari taxi. Taxi fare is ~$8pp each way on a shared safari taxi. CGB is a nice beach in a larger bay that is generally calm but can also be quite rough with sea swells (as is the case with most beaches). CGB is home to several beach bars/restaurants including Myett's, Stanley's famous Welcome Bar (now cousin Tony's), the Elms, Rymers, Big Banana, and Quito's to name a few. Quito Rymer is a popular reggae/island recording artist who plays at his bar Thurs & Fri evenings, not to be missed if you have the opportunity to spend the night. All of these spots have good bar food and drinks and Myett's and others rent lounges and umbrellas. Our pick for THE cheeseburger in Paradise (or fish tacos) is Tony’s, and Myett’s is also great.

CGB becomes the most crowded bay in the BVI when cruise ships are docked in Tortola, and if you like a busier or more active vibe CGB is your best choice. Good beer, drink and food choices, as well as some watersports rentals and a water taxi to Jost may be possible. There is also taxi service available if you decide CGB is not for you and you want to go to a quieter beach (see below). Here is a link to a webcam when available –

http://www.resortcams.com/webcams/cane-garden-bay/

Brewers Bay is just to the north of CGB and is a very nice beach with great snorkeling. Nicole's beach bar serves drinks and food and rents chairs. Brewers is a bit more rustic but really beautiful. In terms of the number of people you can expect to see there, it is much less busy than CGB, but can become busy with ships in port. Taxi fare is the same as CGB.